MY CLASSMATE SAID......

healthyhair2

That my hair ends are damaged and thin and that I should cut my hair!!!She's a nice chick, but I told her I am addicted to the length. My hair is cruising to midback length. I could use a trim , I know . HELP!! What would you ladies do?? I'm transitioning back to natural. My hair has seemed thinner than before,I just attributed it to the relaxer. I'm six months post almost and was desperately trying NOT to lose length. What do you think???

donewit-it

If you have a goal in mind, I wouldn't cut it. I know it's hard sometimes, but fight it!

Maybe you can hide the ends with protective styling, as opposed to hanging down.

Also while transitioning make sure you condition and take care of that demarcation line.

Remember when you cut, that shrinkage is a mutha:lachen:

Take her information and say thank you for your advice and KIM. We got plans!

chebaby

if you are transitioning to natural then trimming 1/2 inch shouldnt matter.
ETA: and im only saying that because you acknowledged that your ends do need cutting.

Last edited:

ThickHair

I am an advocate for the BC since you are going to have to cut it anyway. JMHO.

If you want to hang on to it then by all means do, but in the end you are going to have to cut some or it will just break off. Which one can you handle? I like being in control. So far as homegirl, if you didn't ask, she shouldnt have said a darn thing, how rude.

JJamiah

If your ends are split I'd give it a trim. Holding on to split ends will not be beneficial if your goal is length.

Whimsy

I'd suggest you do a dusting if you're not ready to trim, but since you know you should, a dusting is a nice compromise.

BUT I dont think you should do it because homegirl said so....i think you should do it cuz your hair needs it and your screen name is healthy hair :)

TokyoReina

If you think your ends really are thin and damaged...I'd let them go. I held on to my rough ends for a long time until I finally built up the courage to cut them off for even ends. It looked a lot better and a lot healthier. If you like the length more than look, then by all means don't cut them. It's all about you, right? Of course it is.

HappilyLiberal

That my hair ends are damaged and thin and that I should cut my hair!!!She's a nice chick, but I told her I am addicted to the length. My hair is cruising to midback length. I could use a trim , I know . HELP!! What would you ladies do?? I'm transitioning back to natural. My hair has seemed thinner than before,I just attributed it to the relaxer. I'm six months post almost and was desperately trying NOT to lose length. What do you think???

Never ever trim your ends with 6 months of new growth unless you just want to go shorter. It is hard to tell if your ends are really damaged or they just appear thinner because of the forest at your scalp.

Whimsy

Never ever trim your ends with 6 months of new growth unless you just want to go shorter. It is hard to tell if your ends are really damaged or they just appear thinner because of the forest at your scalp.

I was assuming she'd be straightening out her hair including "the forest" before she trims.

lilsparkle825

i was stuck with unhealthy ends towards the end of my 12 month transition and after doing a mini-chop, i felt a bit better......but i still ended up BCing a month later. :giggle:

i agree with vain jane though -- don't cut just because she said your ends look bad. how long is her hair?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
It depends on your goals, and how damaged your ends are. If the ends are rellay bad they'll have to go eventually but that does not mean that they must go all at once. Gradual dustings are a nice compomise as Whimsy said. Do it when you are ready.

brittanynic16

If your ends are bad enough were people are commenting on them then I think it's time for a trim. Besides 1/2 trim is only like a month's worth of growth. That's nothing.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
If your ends are bad enough were people are commenting on them then I think it's time for a trim. Besides 1/2 trim is only like a month's worth of growth. That's nothing.

not attacking you, but sometimes the ends don't even have to be horrendous for someone to comment. how many times has someone on here walked into a salon with moisture/protein game on point, no split ends, and low heat usage, and had a stylist still say 'you neeeed a trim'? plenty. some folks just really want to believe hair should be chopped off frequently for it to look good or 'grow'. :rolleyes:

don't fall for it OP. you won't really know what the ends are looking like unless your hair is straight, especially since some areas grow fast than others. hair can look ugly and ratchet when you're transitioning. ♥

LittleLuxe

If you can admit that your ends are unhealthy and need some type of trim then I'd go for it. No point in holding onto unhealthy ends simply because you crave length, lol.

Think about it. Would you hang onto a raggedy shirt or pair of jeans and wear em out to public looking a hot busted mess just cause you like the way they feel? NO! (I hope) so cut your ends, marvel at how healthy your hair looks overall and then ge your swang on.

Janet'

My whole thing is...don't get "guiltied" (I know that's not really a word) into cutting...One thing to consider, once you are fully natural-people have the potential to come out of the woodwork saying all sorts of sideways things just to "get a rise"...If you had already been thinking about cutting and she said what you were thinking--cut; if not, PUT THE SCISSORS DOWN!!!!

brittanynic16

not attacking you, but sometimes the ends don't even have to be horrendous for someone to comment. how many times has someone on here walked into a salon with moisture/protein game on point, no split ends, and low heat usage, and had a stylist still say 'you neeeed a trim'? plenty. some folks just really want to believe hair should be chopped off frequently for it to look good or 'grow'. :rolleyes:

don't fall for it OP. you won't really know what the ends are looking like unless your hair is straight, especially since some areas grow fast than others. hair can look ugly and ratchet when you're transitioning. ♥

The OP said she needed a trim also. She said the only reason she is keeping the ends is b/c of length. I don't think this is a case of "should I trim b/c someone thinks I need to." It's more like "I know I need a trim and people are notcing but I don't want to." I don't understand why people hang on to bad end for the sake of it. You end up paying a larger price in the end because splits can cause tangles which lead to more damage/breakage (at least for me).

I'd say trim those ends and look good from NL to HL.:grin:

healthyhair2

The OP said she needed a trim also. She said the only reason she is keeping the ends is b/c of length. I don't think this is a case of "should I trim b/c someone thinks I need to." It's more like "I know I need a trim and people are notcing but I don't want to." I don't understand why people hang on to bad end for the sake of it. You end up paying a larger price in the end because splits can cause tangles which lead to more damage/breakage (at least for me).

I'd say trim those ends and look good from NL to HL.:grin:

Luckily ,my hair has not been breaking since I started transitioning. Also, my hair texture has changed since I am close to middle age :) I trimmed in October, and have not worn my hair "OUT" since then, BUT I forgot to add one important detail.... I am learning to swim, the sister who commented is in my class. I like her alot, she's cool and has offered to braid my hair next month (I told her about the board!!!). She was wearing a BANGIN' weave last week and we started to talk hair. She was surprised the length was mine! I have to admit, she caught me on a day that my hair was DRY--like the Sahara Desert , as I had planned on DC'ing that night when I got home from school. Anyhow, since she said she'd braid it, she wanted to see how much hair I had--she didn't just blurt out those comments. I will be frank--I've been wearing my Pocahantas braids for 2 years off and on while in Massage school,either that or a ponytail. But maybe this is not enough protection for my ends since I swim too?

healthyhair2

i was stuck with unhealthy ends towards the end of my 12 month transition and after doing a mini-chop, i felt a bit better......but i still ended up BCing a month later. :giggle:

i agree with vain jane though -- don't cut just because she said your ends look bad. how long is her hair?

Can't really comment on that, 'cause I can't remember if I ever saw her hair. Sometimes, I struggle with whether to BC or not. Sometimes, I think it will be freeing, other times I think it will mean I have to wear braids or a wig. I'm just not down with short hair for the moment.

klowdnyne

Cut when you feel it's time for you to cut.

I too am hooked on attaining/retaining length and did not want to cut or trim my hair even though I knew it was time. Two weeks ago I pulled out the scissors and had my mom help me trim my hair. Although I initially had some melancholy moments, I am okay now because I made the decision on my timeline.

R4L

We need a pic to fully evaluate. See through raggedy ends are NOT cute. IF you only have....100 hairs on your head at 20 inches, and the rest are 15 inches, you need even it up.

bellebebe

I'm a HUGE fan of maintaining healthy ends. I say a trim is VERY necessary to long healthy hair. The longer you hold on to the split ends, the harder it's going to be to cut them because you become addicted to the length. I use to never get trims so I know exactly how you're feeling chicka! If you end up not getting a trim, just keep your ends well moisturized.

ChristmasCarol

Ordinarily, I'd say to ignore people who say "you need a trim", but you did say you needed one, so...

Whenever I've gotten rid of scraggly looking ends, my hair ends up looking LONGER! Don't worry about losing 1/2" or so, it'll look so much better you won't notice that it's a smidgen shorter.

Amber_moon

I actually just dealt with this same issue.

I was right at MBL, few strands touching it, but my ends were looking HORRIBLE. So I cut them back. Im back to a blunt BSL (OH GOD IVE BEEN HERE FOREVER!!! AHHH!) but with summer comming I can look forward to a growth spurt and with my healthier ends Ill be there in no time.

Trimming is really for the best in the end.