my dh says it's o.k. to say damn

MizzBrown

There's a whole heap of stuff in the Bible. That doesn't quite mean we can say or do it today in 2008.

Ms.Honey

I say "damn shame" but I think most Christians say damnable shame. I say dang or dag. I dont say the A word much :look: If I do it's usually quoting someone. I think most say something is asinine instead of calling someone a dumb A or a jack A. Dumb A is in the bible:grin:

We really need to stop coming up with cussing alternatives though, they sound just as bad and are becoming profane words now too.

Ask DH would it be ok for the kids to say damn. That usually stops folks from using words the don't think are cuss words:grin:

Ramya

Hmm. This is one of those things that I've prayed on before. I don't curse but lately I've been saying "hell". Technically I can do and say whatever I want to. But I have to ask myself some questions; is it beneficial for me to say these things or does it take away from my ability to witness to others? Because I am immediately perceived differently after cursing, I choose not to curse.

1 Corinthians 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

Aviah

I say "damn shame" but I think most Christians say damnable shame. I say dang or dag. I dont say the A word much :look: If I do it's usually quoting someone. I think most say something is asinine instead of calling someone a dumb A or a jack A. Dumb A is in the bible:grin:

We really need to stop coming up with cussing alternatives though, they sound just as bad and are becoming profane words now too.

Ask DH would it be ok for the kids to say damn. That usually stops folks from using words the don't think are cuss words:grin:

Though I don't think its a curse word, that's something I needed to be reminded about! i just thought it was strong (if that makes any sense). I remember as a kid that word "hell", and "A**" weren't allowed on TV... now its a lot worse, desensitizing us from these things. Something to think about...

Farida

I used damn for so many years as a child and I didn't know it was bad, or what it meant. The priest at my high school used to consider it one of the worst cuss words ever, especially when you say "damn you." The meaning of it has evolved with time, but it is essentially condemning someone, something only God has a right to.
We get used to stuff, our mouths slip, and we don't usually mean what is behind it...we just try.

Sistaslick

Where I grew up:

crap
dang
darn
funky
freak
fool
pregnant/pregnancy (for kids)

were all curse words. :lachen: So you know damn was off limits. :lachen:

gn1g

yep we couldn't say
butt or lie.

now kids say the first letter of the curse word. same as cussing to me.

gradygirl

Where I grew up:

crap
dang
darn
funky
freak
fool
pregnant/pregnancy (for kids)

were all curse words. :lachen: So you know damn was off limits. :lachen:

These 3 would get you an instant almost matrix-like beat down in the house when I was growing up.:lachen:

Last edited:

discobiscuits

Hmm, Is ***** and waynch (not wench) ok?:grin::grin:
not according to nikos. :lachen:

Basically, to some any word that is a socially accepted curse word or any word used to replace a curse word is cussing. So da*n vs. dang would be the same thing to some.

My friend once said: "When in doubt, leave it out."

I'm now getting rid of the following from my vocabulary:
shoot
dang
shucks
fudgeicle

or anything else that one can use in place of cussing:
jezzy peezy
fudge
mickey fick
mother-father
sam hill
jesus h. christ

basically anything that another person could figure out what word i'm substituting.

so if i someone said (the following is for example only; edit as needed thx): "My mother-father supervisor is a pain. That he**a can kiss my arse. She knows you don't **** around with people's frigging paychecks." We all know what was really meant. It is kind of like drinking alcohol, it may be "permissible" but in this society it is not really socially acceptable for Christ Like Ones to behave that way and may cause an unbeliever to fall or shy away. They may think why accept Christ if I can be the same as I am now, only watered-down? Christians are supposed to be peculiar, separate, distinctly different - inside and out.

So I'm sure that the exact same thing that one says with substitute cuss words can be said nearly word-for-word without the substitutes and people still get the point and the level of irritation without the colorful commentary no matter how clever or funny.

Evolving78

i say dang and jeezy. so since those are bad, what can i say? especially if i hurt myself or my kids did something really crazy around here.

Evolving78

Basically, to some any word that is a socially accepted curse word or any word used to replace a curse word is cussing. So da*n vs. dang would be the same thing to some.

shoot
dang
shucks
fudgeicle

jezzy peezy
fudge
mickey fick
mother-father
sam hill
jesus h. christ

basically anything that another person could figure out what word i'm substituting.

so if i someone said (the following is for example only; edit as needed thx): "My mother-father supervisor is a pain. That he**a can kiss my arse. She knows you don't **** around with people's frigging paychecks." We all know what was really meant. It is kind of like drinking alcohol, it may be "permissible" but in this society it is not really socially acceptable for Christ Like Ones to behave that way and may cause an unbeliever to fall or shy away. They may think why accept Christ if I can be the same as I am now, only watered-down? Christians are supposed to be peculiar, separate, distinctly different - inside and out.

So I'm sure that the exact same thing that one says with substitute cuss words can be said nearly word-for-word without the substitutes and people still get the point and the level of irritation without the colorful commentary no matter how clever or funny.

so instead of saying dang, i can say that really hurts or you guys are really getting on my nerves?LOL! i get it though, but saying dang is so much quicker!

Duchesse

shoot
dang
shucks
fudgeicle

jezzy peezy
fudge
mickey fick
mother-father
sam hill
jesus h. christ

I love your response!

In efforts to clean up my vocabulary, I started using "crappydoo", and "mother of pearl" and "snap", whenever the mood hit me to replace their cursier cousins. But then I started thinking does it make a difference if my intention is the same behind the word. So now I'm trying to clean up even my corny substitutes, but its hard lol!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
But, I thought it was a curse word. He says that you can say it cause it's in the Bible.

That's not true is it?
Symatically and literally speaking, the word Damn is a curse word. When something is is used in the 'negative' (curse), not positive (blessed) and is instead 'damned' it is 'cursed'.

Such as the double bind cliche' "Damned if they do; Damned if they don't; which means the person or situation is being 'cursed' or blamed or set up no matter what they have done, good or bad, in a given situation.

When a person states, 'They get on my 'damn' nerves....it is a 'curse', because the person's nerves are not blessed but angered, 'cursed'. God tells us to be angry, but to sin not. What we do and/or speak from our minds / mouths, when angry, can be sin. In anger, we literally speak a curse upon a given situation or person or persons.

When 'our' husbands (and/or financee's, boyfriends)say, 'Damn it!', they are cursing the 'it' that they just damned. :rolleyes:

God tells us that both sweet and bitter waters cannot flow from the same fountain. And this is true. Philipians 4:6-8, "...whatsoever things are lovely, pure, just, of a good report, think on these things."

Proverbs admonishes us to allow no vile or evil to proceed from our mouths. God's word clearly speaks that from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

The word Damn may very well be in the Bible, but as a reference, not as a tool for us as Christians to utilize in our lives.

Even as a homonyn 'Damn, Dam' it's still a curse word. For wherever there's a Dam(n), it's built to prevent the overflow of water and in our case as Christians, it is something we need. The word 'Damn prevents the free flow of the Holy Spirit through our hearts. For where's there's a damn, there's anger, the heart's channels are blocked and the Blood of Life, has difficulty flowing through the vessels.....

Yes, the word 'Damn' is in the Bible, but not intended for man's heart. For it' is mostly always used as a 'curse'.

And I for one, have been 'damned guilty' of using this word of late in the political forum and in so doing, I have 'cursed' those I've spoken against.

Not so pretty.......not so nice......Most definitely not Godly. :nono:

Thank God for His Mercies, which never fail for us, for we'd all be damned for the 50-11 zillion times that this word has been uttered into atmosphere which surrounds us.

Make sure 'DH' is aware of what/whom he is damning. Our words DO have much power. But only for the Blood of Jesus which surrounds us to keep us safe from every 'damn' ever spoken.

Last edited:

Choclatcotton

I had to pray for God to stop my cursing tongue, for me it was so bad it got to seemingly every other word. It started sounding so low down. He took the curse right out. So glad to be curse free!

gradygirl

Or shoot. :rolleyes:

What's the rationale between not saying pregnant? :confused:

Picture this:
Me at around 8 years old: Mommy that lady looks pregnant
My mother: Pregnant, What you know about pregnant? You too grown. Who taught you that word? Where you get that from?
Me trying to answer: Well Mommy
My mother: :hardslap: