My edges are driving me over the edge!

ellegantelle

I have a question...

I usually wear braidouts and buns but I just straightened my hair earlier this week and I have been having the most difficult time getting my edges to stay straight. The rest of my hair is noooo problem. But my edges puff up super quickly. I have tried to tie them down at night with a scarf, but it doesn't straighten it out. I don't want to use gel or any kind of wax on it. Are there any other suggestions of a technique or product or any other thread that I can be redirected to with help on this? :perplexed

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i love your blog and your hair!!

um, idk. i like ORS edge control, it's kind of a pomade and a little goes a long way. i also do a couple of passes, maybe 5 over my edges using my tiny flatiron to make sure they get really straight in the first place.

ellegantelle

i love your blog and your hair!!

um, idk. i like ORS edge control, it's kind of a pomade and a little goes a long way. i also do a couple of passes, maybe 5 over my edges using my tiny flatiron to make sure they get really straight in the first place.

Awww...thanks!

I think I might have to try some of that. I have to double check and make sure it doesn't have any h20/aqua in it though, otherwise, my hair will swell up in this crazy east coast weather.

kandake

You ruled out everything that usually works.

Tying it down isn't working and you don't want to use gels or pomades. I'm not sure what else there is.

Nonie

Do you get the edges straight when you straighten your hair? Do use a serum (anti-humectant) when you straighten? Do you DC well before you straighten so your hair has all the moisture it needs?

ellegantelle

Do you get the edges straight when you straighten your hair? Do use a serum (anti-humectant) when you straighten? Do you DC well before you straighten so your hair has all the moisture it needs?

I get the edges very straight when straightened...I was trying to stay away from serums because my hair doesn't last a week. It starts to look stringy and lacks that feathery feeling (lol I can't describe it any other way) I usually get when I straighten. I DC before I wash as well. :scratchch I'm thinking maybe I will try the serum on the edges alone. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the advice

Nonie

I get the edges very straight when straightened...I was trying to stay away from serums because my hair doesn't last a week. It starts to look stringy and lacks that feathery feeling (lol I can't describe it any other way) I usually get when I straighten. I DC before I wash as well. :scratchch I'm thinking maybe I will try the serum on the edges alone. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the advice

That's weird. What else do you use when you straighten beside the serum when you get that effect you describe? I have never experienced that with serums. In fact, even when I was relaxed, I had feathery, swingy hair after applying serum to damp hair with nothing on it but water, then smoothing it out with an iron (flat or curling) to create a bob. No stickiness, no poofing. Just hair that had shine and looked like I'd just walked out of the salon.

ellegantelle

That's weird. What else do you use when you straighten beside the serum when you get that effect you describe? I have never experienced that with serums. In fact, even when I was relaxed, I had feathery, swingy hair after applying serum to damp hair with nothing on it but water, then smoothing it out with an iron (flat or curling) to create a bob. No stickiness, no poofing. Just hair that had shine and looked like I'd just walked out of the salon.

I only use a heat protectant after washing and conditioning. I think the problem is that I reapply the serum every two or three days when my hair loses its shine. Do you think this could be the reason for my hair becoming sticky?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
oh i read this wrong:blush:

as a straight haired natural i used a wax or pomade to keep my edges straight. it always left my hair feeling gunky or looking "producty" so i would rather just repress them:look:

i still recomend the curls control paste. its water based though so you must quickly apply it and then tie a scarf down to not get more reversion.

Last edited:

DivineNapps1728

I have this same issue; I always get my edges wet when I wash my face. Sometimes applying a little shea butter or Hairveda's almond glaze then tying down edges for twenty minutes helps save reverting edges.

Missigirl

Have you tried the mud detox? I did and it worked great for me. It stopped all of my frizzy edges. Now all I do is put on my leave in conditioner and my cocanut oil and tie it down overnight.

Nonie

I only use a heat protectant after washing and conditioning. I think the problem is that I reapply the serum every two or three days when my hair loses its shine. Do you think this could be the reason for my hair becoming sticky?

That sounds like it could make hair sticky. I don't reapply serum once I use it during straightening. That application lasts me all week.