My First Bantu Knot Out Attempt **PICS**

MummysGirl

:yay: I'm 51 weeks post relaxer.

I think I did ok for my 1st try! It took me a while to do the bantu knots (I ended up not having to use pins or ponytail holders to hold them in place).

I cowashed, applied leave in and detangled, blowdried using tension method on lowest heat setting (used IC hair polisher heat protectant, I feel like I didn't even need it cos the air wasn't hot at all, it was warm, but I need to be cautious). I applied a tiny bit of lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol (thanks StephElise for telling me not to apply too much) to each section and twisted + knotted. I didn't do 2 strand twists. I was able to tuck my ends under each knot. I kept them in overnight and took them out this morning making sure my fingertips were constantly lightly coated with my shea butter mix. After taking them out, my hair looked :pullhair: but I tried not to panic. I kept separating the curls and it started to look slightly better... I'll give myself a 6/10. I think a couple more tries, I'll be much better :yep:

Thank you Grand Prix (your help in the transitioners support thread and for the youtube vids), Steph Elise (PMs and your youtube vid) and MrsJohnson75 (your fotki tutorial).
:bighug: <-- :lachen: I sound like I just won an award! I'm just happy cos I expected a disaster!

Bantu Knots

Took them out and seperated a little, I thought it was a disaster:

But I didn't give up, lol:

Pulled it into a puff for work:

HHG & Enjoy your weekend ladies :grin:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
You go MG!! That's not bad at all!! Yes with more practice they should be really really nice. So I guess the Cholesterol worked out ok then? Definitely think about trying different puddings/pomades/butters to set your hair. You'll be able to see the difference in the outcome. The main thing is making sure it's dry when you take them down. That's half the battle right there. Great Job!!!:thumbsup:

RockCreak

I really like it... I had the same thought when I did mine for the first time... I had to play with it.... I just love the results.

melodies815

Hi there...DD's hair...well..I did not separate it as much as I should have...but it seems like this style likes longer hair better. I have yet to try on my own hair because I am afraid of a disaster look. :nono:

You did an amazing job!!! I really like the puff. It seems like you just transformed it until it worked for you. Now, I think I might try sometime after the holidays. How are you maintaining?

cj

MummysGirl

Thank you :grin:
Niiiiìíîïce. You always have great styles

Thank you! This has been a pleasantly surprising journey so far... :)
Good Job MG!
Your transition is sailing smoothly.

Thank you... Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbsLAwCxRO4
It looks lovely, wish i could do them.

Thank you :grin:
I LOVE your Bantu PUFF!!!

Thanks for your help! I truly appreciate it :grin: Yes it worked out well, my hair feels soft and fluffy (like with braidouts/twistouts). There were 2 knots that had damp roots but I was able to hide them :)
There is another product I want to try - Garnier Fructis Smoothing Milk... maybe early next year.
You go MG!! That's not bad at all!! Yes with more practice they should be really really nice. So I guess the Cholesterol worked out ok then? Definitely think about trying different puddings/pomades/butters to set your hair. You'll be able to see the difference in the outcome. The main thing is making sure it's dry when you take them down. That's half the battle right there. Great Job!!!:thumbsup:

MummysGirl

Very nice! You have me ready to try.
Great Job, the look great! I wanna try them now!

^^ Try it :grin:

Thank you!
You are doing so well in your transition! That looks beautiful!

Yep, main thing is to work with it. I've had some braidouts/twistouts look 'off' when I take down the cornrows/flat twists but I've learned that a little tweak here and there is all that's needed.
I really like it... I had the same thought when I did mine for the first time... I had to play with it.... I just love the results.

If I could get it right on my 1st try, without practising, I think you will be fine :yep: Check out the youtube vids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFcvZTYTWA&feature=related --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbsLAwCxRO4
Try it :grin:

Thank you!!!
I'm so silly, I didn't expect it to turn out nice so I did it today cos I'm working out tomorrow a.m. and cowashing out! I'll figure out how to maintain it next time... I might just re-knot every night.

Hi there...DD's hair...well..I did not separate it as much as I should have...but it seems like this style likes longer hair better. I have yet to try on my own hair because I am afraid of a disaster look. :nono:

You did an amazing job!!! I really like the puff. It seems like you just transformed it until it worked for you. Now, I think I might try sometime after the holidays. How are you maintaining?

cj

Thanks!!!! :grin:
They came out really nice. Sure can't tell it was your first try!
I think it looks lovely! You did a great job for it being your first time.

:yay:
And thank you :)
:bouncy:

Oooh they turned out beautifully!!! Your knots (on the first pic) look so pretty :)

Grand Prix

That looks fantastic, especially for a first try!

It took me like 10 times before I could wear this style out in public, lol.

Great job!!

MummysGirl