My first henna experience

br0wney3z

So when I first joined back in April, the PJ in me took over and I immediately bought the things I needed to henna my hair. But after hearing some slight horry stories, and realizing that my hair actually need more moisture than it did protein, I decided to hold off...then I just forgot about it. Well I decided yesterday that since I am currently 8 weeks post and was experiencing some increased breakage especially at the NG/Relaxed junction I would do a protein treatment. Although I was really nervous I went ahead and made my concontion of:
50g henna
50 amala powder
raw honey
amala oil
evoo
jbco
lots sauve coconut condish and some water.

I let it sit for an hour, then applied it to my hair and let it sit on there for another hour, rinsed and then just did a co-wash since I was too tired to jump in and out of the shower to shampoo and DC. All I have to say is.....I love me some henna. I didn't know henna loosened curls, but my hair was so much easier to detangle and my NG was so soft. This morning my hair was soft, full and so easy for me to run my hands through my 1+ of NG.

I think I may even like it better than my Giovanni condish, which is wonderful since that is $8 compared to the $2 I spent on a bigger bottle of sauve. All in all, I'm in love and will definately be hennaing at least once a month now.

Congratulations!!!!!! You are now an official "Henna Head". Welcome to the club. I have been very happy with my henna experience too! It made my hair so much stonger and the shine was quite nice. I've learned a wealth of information about hair care from this site. Again, Congrats!:bouncy:

Re: My first henna experience ---HOW!

Good evening ladies:

I'm glad everyone is having positive results using henna. But I have a stupid question for everyone? How do I use it and what are benefits from using henna?

Thanks All!

Good evening ladies:

I'm glad everyone is having positive results using henna. But I have a stupid question for everyone? How do I use it and what are benefits from using henna?

Thanks All!

No question is stupid, we are all here to learn. Well I think people use henna for a lot of different purposes. You can use it to not only conditioner or add protein, but also to add color to their hair.

Thanks for this. I want to try henna, but 1 of the main henna threads is so long and so many there are experts that it's hard for me to use. This is helpful.

congrats on your henna experience!! I love henna... its like crack to me(also, cassia is great too). I even get excited from the earthy smell of it.

I had my 1st henna experience yesterday and I love the way my hair feels. I wish that I would have tried this instead of a corrective relaxer last week. But I had to get my nerves together to try this.

I went to an Indian grocery store and purchased a henna mix that had amla, shikai, and coffee and I also purchased amla. My total was about $7.

I mixed the henna w/
EVOO,
the Suave version of humectress,
the amla,
a dash of nutmeg,
and some water.

I let the mix sit in a plastic container for 4 hours. I felt like a kitchen chemist yall.

Now - I was so excited that I did not do a strand test. [Slaps self on hand and says bad girl.]

I wore suave humectress on my hair to work and I wore a baggy w/ the humectress & evoo on my ends so I still had that on my hair. I put the mix in my head and wrapped it w/ cling wrap and a couple grocery store bags on top of that. This morning I washed it out w/ CON, and moisturized w/a mix of NTM and EVOO. I was terrified all night that I would wake up and my hair would be mush and just completely come out in my hands and I could barely sleep.

My hair had been feeling dry as hay this past week, so I am pleased w/ the result and look forward to trying this again. Unless I research and find that it will give me a bad result, I am going to use heavily steeped black tea and grape juice instead of water on the next mix to reduce my cinnamon red sparkies that were formerly gray. I'll take my sparkies over the gray any day though.

ETA: I was afraid the henna would be a terrible mess, but it was much neater than the semipermanent rinses I have been using, because the henna had a very thick cake batter texture so it did not run. It did not smell as bad as I thought it would either. I may still get a Pantene masque though 4 my next step and mix it w/ EVOO because the Pantene smell is incredible and it stays w/ you for days.

Last edited:

No question is stupid, we are all here to learn. Well I think people use henna for a lot of different purposes. You can use it to not only conditioner or add protein, but also to add color to their hair.

Thanks brOwney3z!

I can't wait to try it this weekend. Luckily, there's an Indian store in my area.

Thanks brOwney3z!

I can't wait to try it this weekend. Luckily, there's an Indian store in my area.

You are so lucky to have an Indian store around you. I ordered mine online, luckily it only took about a week to get to me. I think there are some stores here that carry henna supplies though, I should make a field trip one of these days.

Im glad it turned out so great for U :yep:
Now that I found a brand of henna that my hair like I am in love and plan to henna and do amla weelky

Back