My Very First Henna Treatment...

Mizani_Mrs

I used henna for the very first time yesterday! I purchased a box of Mumtaz Al-Roosa henna from a local indian store. I also purchased a box of Amla powder and some Vatika oil. So yesterday I mixed 50g of henna, with 50g of the Amla powder in probably 1cup of hot water and maybe 3tbls of Vatika oil. I kept adding a lil water to get it to a yogurt like consistency. I let it sit for 20mins, I sectioned my hair in 4, and I just slathered it in. I left it in for about 25mins, then i rinsed it really well in the kitchen sink. It rinsed out rather quickly because the Mumtaz brand is triple-sifted and very fine. The vatika oil covered up the henna smell. first the vatika was the pleasant soapy smell so it was tolerable. After i rinsed the henna out, I put Elucence MB conditioner in my hair and sat under the dryer for 10mins. I then rinsed out, added my leave-ins and rollerset. I did not let my henna sit for a long while, nor did i let it sit on my head for a long while because i wanted to first try it out and see what it will do to my scalp/hair. (even though i already did like a few strand tests). I just wanted to be sure that my scalp wasn't allergic to it, or that my hair wouldnt turn green! So far so good, I did notice my hair appeared to be a little bit stronger during the detangling process. I heard a few strands snapping/breaking which tells me that my hair was strong. Strength is the only reason why i plan to continue using henna and probably to gain some shine. During the henna rinsing, my hair was somewhat dry and somewhat hard to detangle... So next time I do plan to use something like Nexxus ensure or porosity control so that my cuticles can be smoothed to detangle a little easier. I hope it works. I cannot comment on the shine, because my hair is close to 12 weeks post so I dont have any shine. And my hair is already the 'henna red' color because I used the Sebastian Colourshines in Cinnamon maybe 2 months ago...so i won't notice a color change...though i do plan to use Indigo the next time around.... So i can attest to the strengthening of Henna, but not the color change and the shine, as of yet...

nomoweavesfome

Ok - that's great as far as the strength. Something inside me told me that detangling was gonna be something with that. I plan on using my samples this weekend with indigo. So wish me luck.

atlien11

Mizani_Mrs said:
I used henna for the very first time yesterday! I purchased a box of Mumtaz Al-Roosa henna from a local indian store. I also purchased a box of Amla powder and some Vatika oil. So yesterday I mixed 50g of henna, with 50g of the Amla powder in probably 1cup of hot water and maybe 3tbls of Vatika oil. I kept adding a lil water to get it to a yogurt like consistency. I let it sit for 20mins, I sectioned my hair in 4, and I just slathered it in. I left it in for about 25mins, then i rinsed it really well in the kitchen sink. It rinsed out rather quickly because the Mumtaz brand is triple-sifted and very fine. The vatika oil covered up the henna smell. first the vatika was the pleasant soapy smell so it was tolerable. After i rinsed the henna out, I put Elucence MB conditioner in my hair and sat under the dryer for 10mins. I then rinsed out, added my leave-ins and rollerset. I did not let my henna sit for a long while, nor did i let it sit on my head for a long while because i wanted to first try it out and see what it will do to my scalp/hair. (even though i already did like a few strand tests). I just wanted to be sure that my scalp wasn't allergic to it, or that my hair wouldnt turn green! So far so good, I did notice my hair appeared to be a little bit stronger during the detangling process. I heard a few strands snapping/breaking which tells me that my hair was strong. Strength is the only reason why i plan to continue using henna and probably to gain some shine. During the henna rinsing, my hair was somewhat dry and somewhat hard to detangle... So next time I do plan to use something like Nexxus ensure or porosity control so that my cuticles can be smoothed to detangle a little easier. I hope it works. I cannot comment on the shine, because my hair is close to 12 weeks post so I dont have any shine. And my hair is already the 'henna red' color because I used the Sebastian Colourshines in Cinnamon maybe 2 months ago...so i won't notice a color change...though i do plan to use Indigo the next time around.... So i can attest to the strengthening of Henna, but not the color change and the shine, as of yet...
Im a little confused about the bolded part :confused: Can you explain? TIA! ;)

Aveena

I'm still waiting on my henna to arrive via mail. I ordered indigo and alma. Not sure what formula I'm going to use yet, but it's nice to have feedback because I am nervous about it. I'm a naturally redhead (4) with highlights in the summer. So I'm not sure I'll see a color change either unless I put some indigo in the mixture... I plan on taking b4 and after pics... also

Mizani_Mrs

@ ATLien11: Yea well i know...it sounds very weird. But if you have ever pulled a strand of hair and it snaps immediately with no resistance. Then this strand is weak. If you pull a stand of hair and it stretches and then can hear a snap...then it tells me that my strands are strong. (maybe some folks can't/dont hear it but rely solely on how far it stretches) That is what i meant...I heard a few strands snap when i was detangling... sounds weird, but i can clearly hear it....:look:

@ Nomoweaves: Good luck girl!!! I can't wait to hear your review!

atlien11

Mizani_Mrs said:
@ ATLien11: Yea well i know...it sounds very weird. But if you have ever pulled a strand of hair and it snaps immediately with no resistance. Then this strand is weak. If you pull a stand of hair and it stretches and then can hear a snap...then it tells me that my strands are strong. (maybe some folks can't/dont hear it but rely solely on how far it stretches) That is what i meant...I heard a few strands snap when i was detangling... sounds weird, but i can clearly hear it....:look:

I get it!! LOL, thanks girl! I have been looking forward to hearing these reviews :D

MSLONG

Mizani Mrs,

I did my first henna treatment yesterday too and it seems like you and I had the same results.

I used the Mumtaz brand as well, but I actually mixed it with lemon juice and water and allowed it to sit for about 13 hrs to get the dye release.

I put it on rather sloppily and then sat for 1hr under the dryer. I rinsed for about 20 min and when I got out of the shower, I found that my hair seemed to be unnaturally strong and tangled. Upon detangling, I heard the pops and the snaps too, but when I looked at the comb, there was no hair in it. I was not able to run the comb completely down the length of my hair and I started to panic. I jumped back in the shower and used like 6 different conditioners to soften my hair, but nothing worked. I finally slathered on some Humecto and a plastic cap, and went under the dryer for 40 minutes. That was the key for me!! Today my hair is still extremely strong and shiny.

With a little tweaking, I'll definately be using henna more often for the conditioning benefits it offers.

sareca

Mizani_Mrs said:

I know what you mean. I didn't have that weird snapping sound until I'd henna'd a few times. It's very loud. When my hair broke before it was silent. Now you KNOW when strands are breaking.

Hardwksister

I did my first treatment one week ago. I used the Jamilla (sp) Henna from Mendhi mixed with warm water and 2 tbls of acv., i let it sit 12 hours, i put it on my hair just like i do a touch up using one of those perm brushes. I let it sit for 2 hours on my hair wrapped with saran wrap. I rinsed with warm water, seems like forever. I think i messed up by using Elucence Moisture Poo, which i did this about 5 times. My hair was extremely tangled and matted, scared the crap out of me. I used the Eluc. Moist. Conditioner mixed w/honey and sat under my soft bonnet for 45 min. My hair not as soft as usual but it was very strong, i've never felt it that strong, not even w/Aphogee. I did a deep condition w/my Eluc. again the next day, this time i added MSM and Honey and my hair was lovely. I did a touch up yesterday, which was one week after the Henna treatment, my hair feels good ladies.

I want to use the Indigo mixed with Henna, how soon after my touch up should i wait? Is that too much at one time? My hair is very fine and i don't want to mess things up.

sareca

Wow, congrats you guys. Henna isn't for everyone, but I'm glad some of you have found it useful. I wonder how many lurkers have tried it...

thesweetone

All these success stories! I wish my Henna would hurry up and get here so that I can try it and add my story to the list!

tenderheaded

It's good to see another Charlotte,NC lady hitting the Indian stores:) I bought amla powder, Dabur Vatika oil and shakikai powder from India Town on Sugar Creek Rd. The prices are great and I get instant gratification.

Please share the location for your goodies. We have a number of members in and around Charlotte. TIA

Mizani_Mrs

Hey TenderHeaded! Yes, this is the same store I got my henna, vatika oil, amla oil and amla power at. I live very close to this store. And I just found out that the beauty supply store next to it, they sell keracare & mizani, so no more online shopping for me. Yay! I also looked on yahoo and there is another Indian Mart on University Blvd..somewhere on that stretch, but i called them and he said they were out of Henna and will be getting some in a week or so...but he didn't understand when i was asking him waht was the brandname, so i'll have to call back... I'll post again when i can find the name of the store and the brandname that they carry.

@MSLONG: Well i'm glad your application was a success... and i agree my hair was tangled. I thought it was because i'm like 11 weeks post... so next time i'll be sure to wash with CON moisturizing and to deep cond with Humecto. Thanks for the tip!

tenderheaded said:
It's good to see another Charlotte,NC lady hitting the Indian stores:) I bought amla powder, Dabur Vatika oil and shakikai powder from India Town on Sugar Creek Rd. The prices are great and I get instant gratification.

Please share the location for your goodies. We have a number of members in and around Charlotte. TIA

Mizani_Mrs

If you get the sample pack they offer on hennaforhair. Technically it is not enough, but since this is your first application then you can pull it off if you want to. Perhaps buy 1 henna sample and 1 amla sample and mix with some water and oil...this should be enough for you to try it though it wouldn't be enough to totally saturate/coat your hair like you should. If you were to order 1 box (100g) then this is plenty for your hair. (in my opinion)

Doll said:
Are the samples large enough to do an entire head of 4a approx. BSL hair?

tenderheaded

Mizani_Mrs said:
Hey TenderHeaded! Yes, this is the same store I got my henna, vatika oil, amla oil and amla power at. I live very close to this store. And I just found out that the beauty supply store next to it, they sell keracare & mizani, so no more online shopping for me. Yay! I also looked on yahoo and there is another Indian Mart on University Blvd..somewhere on that stretch, but i called them and he said they were out of Henna and will be getting some in a week or so...but he didn't understand when i was asking him waht was the brandname, so i'll have to call back... I'll post again when i can find the name of the store and the brandname that they carry.

@MSLONG: Well i'm glad your application was a success... and i agree my hair was tangled. I thought it was because i'm like 11 weeks post... so next time i'll be sure to wash with CON moisturizing and to deep cond with Humecto. Thanks for the tip!

Great! We did the same search. Their stock is fresh too. I have until 5/08 to use my amla powder!

Cichelle

sareca said:
I know what you mean. I didn't have that weird snapping sound until I'd henna'd a few times. It's very loud. When my hair broke before it was silent. Now you KNOW when strands are breaking.

I rarely break or snag my hair while combing these days, but last week I accidentally did it while finger combing and the sound was like a cap gun going off. :eek: Okay, that might be a bit of a exaggeration, but really not much. It was a loud popping kind of sound. I have NEVER heard my hair make that kind of noise. I love how strong my hair is getting, but I'll be trying to make sure not to hear that noise again, of course!

Henna doesn't make my hair dry or tangled at all and I really believe that is because I don't use lemon juice, ACV or any other drying liquid. That stuff would dry my hair out in a hot minute. I use a little less than a teaspoon of fruit pectin, (which has citric acid) per 200g of henna. I have also used no acid at all and got great color release quickly. I think it depends on which brand of henna you use, to some degree. But in general I think very little acid is needed to get good results. Of course, YMMV.

MSLONG

Cichelle,

I think you might be right! I am going to eliminate the use of lemon juice next time. Thanks for the tip!!

alexstin

Cichelle said:
I rarely break or snag my hair while combing these days, but last week I accidentally did it while finger combing and the sound was like a cap gun going off. :eek: Okay, that might be a bit of a exaggeration, but really not much. It was a loud popping kind of sound. I have NEVER heard my hair make that kind of noise. I love how strong my hair is getting, but I'll be trying to make sure not to hear that noise again, of course!

Oh those of us who have heard it before know you're not exaggerating!!!!:lachen: :lachen:

Girl, I had to run here and post the first time I heard that sound. I was thinking,"what in the world was that?"::lol:

sareca

I'm so glad it's not just me. It's rare that my hair breaks too. But when it does people in the next room come running in... or running away!