My First Self-Relax (Profectiv Product RAVES Enclosed!)

Daisimae

Sorry, this is long.

Yesterday was relaxing day after seven weeks. I really can't believe how well it went. This was the first time that I personally applied a relaxer and went thru all the steps myself.

To prepare I packed up everything I would need, including towels and my house dress, then headed to my parent's house. My Mom watched me do it to make sure I got all the relaxer in and that everything was rinsed out of my hair.

Before I left my house, I sprayed my roots with Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructor for the SSA's.

When I got there I washed my wig and put it under the dryer. (I'll post more about that in the NewHair thread.)

Started off the relaxer by dividing my hair in four sections, based each section and clipped it with butterfly clips. Then based the perimeter. I used Ampro Pro-Styl Pre-Crème For Sensitive Scalp.

After I based my scalp, removed the wig from under the dryer and sat under it myself. It was on "low". I didn't know it was supposed to be on "cool".:lachen:

Then I mixed the relaxer. I used :orders:Profectiv Procision Touch Relaxer (Regular). This stuff is the BOMB!! First, it's sized for a touch-up, there is no waste and it was inexpensive. I paid $3.99 at CVS. Second, the activator is in creme form. No trying to mix a creme and a liquid together. The two cremes mixed very nicely with the cup and stick in the kit.

I applied some Breakfree creme, (included in kit), to my previously relaxed hair and then started applying the relaxer to one of my back sections with a tint brush, separating my hair with the end of the brush as I moved up. It took about 10 minutes to apply it to my whole head. I spent another eight minutes smoothing with my gloved fingers.

I rinsed out with warm water and then used Jerri Redding 100% Natural Protein. This stuff smells, (and tastes yuck), like soy sauce. It is very runny. I poured about 2oz of it over my head while I was over the sink, combed it through, (w-i-d-e tooth comb), then stayed there dripping, for seven minutes.

I rinsed out the protein and patted dry with a towel and used Porosity Control next. This stayed in for about 2 minutes, before rinsing.

Here is the next rave: :orders: Procision Gel Neutralizer Shampoo! This is a gel that your put on your hair, press into your scalp, wait a minute and then lather to form suds. The golden gel has a color indicator, (pink/white). I GOT WHITE SUDS ON MY FIRST APPLICATION! I still applied it twice.

After neutralizing I used Clairol Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent hair color in a dark brown shade. This color has no peroxide or annomia, so it's safe to use the same day as you relax. I just needed to cover the grey around my perimeter on the ng from the last time I used permanent color. About half the bottle was used. This stayed on for 25 minutes without heat and I rinsed it out.

After rinsing the color out, my hair felt very hard. A half and half mixture of Sallys Generic Humectress and ORS Replenishing (bottle), took care of that. This stuff melted my hair as I applied it. After DC'ing 20 minutes w/heat and plastic cap. I rinsed the conditioners too.

Now for the leave-in's. I started by throughly spraying with Fermodyl 619 Extra Strength. Then the creamy leave-ins: Sunsilk's Hydra TLC 24/7 creme all over and De-Frizz 24/7 creme just on my ends. Then quick sprays of Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In and Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructor.

I sectioned off my hair, clipped the part I wasn't going to work on first, pulled out the rollers and rollerset my whole head. Hair that dried before I got to it, got a spray of 1/3 Proclaim Super Setting Lotion and 2/3rd water. It took about 45 minutes under a warm dryer to get everything dry.

After it was dry, I used more Breakfree creme all over, (gotta buy some of this stuff), and I wrapped my hair, using a comb and boar bristle brush. Then sprayed lightly with Proclaim Moisturizing Oil Sheen Spray . Following Macheriamour's directions, I wrapped my head in plastic wrap, (my Mother got a kick out of this), and sat myself under the warm dryer for another ten minutes. While my hair was still wrapped I applied coconut oil and Proclaim Glossing Polish. Combed out and then took the pictures below.

I really cannot give enough praise to the Profectiv kit! This will be my new relaxer. The relaxer says is was developed: "for quick, easy gentle touch ups for areas that require more frequent relaxation-temples, edges". I used it all over my head with NO problems. I know that I got protective base on ng and relaxer on my scalp, but, I got ZERO burns. In all the touch-ups I've ever had, in a salon and at home, I can count on one hand the number of times I DIDN'T BURN! I had minimal shedding and NO BREAKING.

I never would have attempted this without this board and all the wonderful posters and people cheering each other, and me, along. This is one of the best touch-ups I've ever had. If I had got this done in a salon with all the extra conditioning, semi-perm color and wrapping, it would have been well over $100+tip, even at the mid-priced salon I usually go to. As it was, I spent about $20 for things to use just with my relaxer. All of them are bottles and can be used again, except for the kit which is $4.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for educating me! I'm officially a member of the self-relaxing club! Next time, I'm going to do it at 2am and at home.

I'm sorry that the pictures are a bit fuzzy. I did get some more length! :yay:

Last edited:

Kacie

Congratulations on your first self-relax experience. It really does make you not want to go to the salon because they don't go through all the steps that you do (neutralizing/conditioning/basing).

Daisimae

Thanks Kacie. At first my Mom thought all those steps came in the box. I told her you ladies had told me about them.

Last week I said that I would only be going to the salon for touch-ups, color and very special occasions. Well bump the the touch-up. Now it will be for color and maybe a special occasion or two.

lisana

ooh! thanks for the details. congratulations on a successful touchup. I know it feels good to be able to have total control over your hair. Keep it up :)

hondahoney007

Congrats!!!!!! I give two thumbs up for anybody that can self relaxer. I wanna be a self relaxer......one day:>).

RubyWoo

Congrats on a successful self-relax! Your hair looks great! Profectiv is one of my fav relaxers ever besides ORS. I just wish they would make a lye or salon version and then they'd have me forever..lol!

Did the Procision Gel Neutralizer Shampoo come with the kit or did you get that sepearately?

Daisimae

hondahoney007 said:
I wanna be a self relaxer......one day:>).

You can do it! If I can, anybody can! Six weeks ago I was hair clueless and completely dependent on stylists, who I'd rather not spend money to go to right now. I'd been hair clueless all my life. Have a friend who knows how to self-relax watch/help you. YOU CAN DO IT!

Nixx said:
Did the Procision Gel Neutralizer Shampoo come with the kit or did you get that separately?

It came in the kit. I wish I could buy this separately. One of the ABSS I go to has the mousse, but, not this gel. I brought a small bottle of Proclaim Neutralizing Shampoo, for the last shampoo, because I didn't know the Gel had a color indicator. This Gel is absolutely luxurious! If I could find it by itself might test out other relaxers. It's one of the reasons I'll be using this kit from now on.

Thank you both ladies!

RubyWoo

Daisimae said:
It came in the kit. I wish I could buy this separately. One of the ABSS I go to has the mousse, but, not this gel. I brought a small bottle of Proclaim Neutralizing Shampoo, for the last shampoo, because I didn't know the Gel had a color indicator. This Gel is absolutely luxurious! If I could find it by itself might test out other relaxers. It's one of the reasons I'll be using this kit from now on.

Thank you both ladies!

Wow!! I looooove Profectiv's neutralizing mousse! The neutralizing gel must be new and sounds really good! I'm pretty sure they'll eventually sell the gel seperately like they do the mousse. I can't wait to try it:)!

thesweetone

Congratulations on your first self relax! Your hair looks great and I can see that you got length. Self relaxing gets better with practice. I'll be doing my third one next Sunday!

HoneyDew

Congrats on your first self relax.

Do you think there was enough gel shampoo in there. I used the Profectiv Touchup kit once and I loved it, although I think it worked faster than the regular it. It is definitely a better deal, but I just found the shampoo packet a bit sparse for me. I ended up having to use some of the mousse shampoo I had left over from one of the original kits.

♦K.O♦

Congrats on your success.

People who know me know that I loooooove Profectiv, so I HAD to come into this thread. lol. I have thought about using the gel, but I love my profectiv neutralizing mousse too much.

Daisimae

Thank you ladies!

HoneyDew said:
Do you think there was enough gel shampoo in there. used the Profectiv touch-up kit once and I loved it, although I think it worked faster than the regular it.

Yes, there was enough in there for me. The directions said to apply and lather three times. I only did it twice, because I got white suds with my first application. I think the protein with ACV in it and the PC got me there faster. I was very generous with the gel and still had enough left over for a third application if I needed it.

The creme did work fast. I was surprised by how straight it got my hair. I wanted bone-straight and that is what I got.

MizzEsq said:
I have thought about using the gel, but I love my profectiv neutralizing mousse too much.

I was a little nervous about the gel before I used it. I bought some Proclaim Neutralizing poo for the color indicator and to make sure I had enough. I didn't need to use it. I am going to use it for my first lather when I wash on Tuesday, just to make sure. I'll follow up with Sallys generic Therappe for moisture.

Now that I've used the gel, I don't want to use anything else. Even if that means never using a professional strength relaxer again, lye or no-lye. I'll just keep on buying that little box. The ABSS I go to has the professional strength, touch-up size Profectiv creme and activator creme for $1.99, by itself. If they ever sell the gel alone, I'll skip the box at get that for my TU's.

Daisimae

I also meant to post the ingredients for the relaxer. They are very good. Next time I use this, I will get the ingredients for the nuetralizing gel.

Water Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Steareth-20 , Steareth-10 , Petrolatum , Paraffinum Liquidum Mineral Oil , Guanidine Carbonate , Polyquaternium-37 , PPG-1 , Trideceth-6 , Hydrolyzed Silk , Hydrolyzed Glycine Soja Protein Soybean , Hydrolyzed Avena Sativa Protein Oat , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein , Hydrolyzed Triticum Vulgare Protein Wheat , Parfum Fragrance , CI 19140 Yellow 5 , Water Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Steareth-10 , Petrolatum , Paraffinum Liquidum Mineral Oil , Calcium Hydroxide , Polyquaternium-6 , Propylene Glycol , Butyrospermum Parkii Shea Butter , Theobroma Cacao Butter Cocoa , Glycine Soja Oil Soybean , Olea Europaea Oil Olive , Simmondsia Chinensis Oil Jojoba , Tocopherol Vitamin E , Melaleuca Alternifolia Oil Tea Tree , PEG-75 Lanolin , Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate , Hydroxyethyl Cellulose , Modified Cornstarch , Polyquaternium-10 , Panax Ginseng Extract Ginseng , Salvia Officinalis Extract Sage , Equisetum Arvense Extract Horsetail , Persea Gratissima Extract Avocado , Aloe Barbadensis Extract Aloe Vera , Polysorbate 20 , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Isoascorbate , Citric Acid May Contain Any or All of the Following , Sodium Citrate May Contain Any or All of the Following , Glutamic Acid May Contain Any or All of the Following , Sodium Glutamate May Contain Any or All of the Following , Ascorbic Acid May Contain Any or All of the Following , Sodium Ascorbate May Contain Any or All of the Following , Succinic Acid May Contain Any or All of the Following , Sodium Succinate May Contain Any or All of the Following , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Phenolsulfonphthalein , Parfum Fragrance , Water Aqua , Propylene Glycol , Polyquaternium-37 , Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate , PPG-1 Trideceth-6 , Glycine Soja Oil Soybean , Glycerin , Trimethylsilylamodimethicone , Equisetum Hiemale Extract Horsetail , Salvia Officinalis Extract Sage , Urtica Dioica Extract Nettle , Cetyl Alcohol , Stearalkonium Chloride , Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride , Acrylamide Copolymer , Lanolin Oil , PEG-40 , Collagen , Keratin , Triticum Vulgare Protein Wheat , Panthenol , Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol , Cinnamidopropyl Trimethyl Ammonium Chloride , DMDM Hydantoin , Zea Mays Oil Corn , BHA , BHT , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Parfum Fragrance , CI 17200 Red 33 , CI 15985 Yellow 6

HoneyDew

Daisimae said:
Thank you ladies!

Yes, there was enough in there for me. The directions said to apply and lather three times. I only did it twice, because I got white suds with my first application. I think the protein with ACV in it and the PC got me there faster. I was very generous with the gel and still had enough left over for a third application if I needed it.

The creme did work fast. I was surprised by how straight it got my hair. I wanted bone-straight and that is what I got.

:look: I think I am just heavy handed. I use the ENTIRE pouch is one rinse! I even rinse and then apply a protein conditioner 1st and it still was not enough. I think I am just paranoid. Girl, I rinse about 3 times with neutralizing letting it sit for a min. each time. That maybe overkill, but for the way I do it, there just was not enough shampoo. The other kit with the mousse shampoo is a perfect amount, though. I still bought the big can of that just in case.

I has that same problem when I tried the ORS no-lye kit. That little bit of shampoo just was not enough for me. Meanwhile other ladies said they had enough left to save. :look:

bgsix

I am glad everything worked out for you. I plan to self relax next month. I can't decide if I want to use Silk elements or Profective.

Daisimae

HoneyDew said:
when I tried the ORS no-lye kit. That little bit of shampoo just was not enough for me. Meanwhile other ladies said they had enough left to save. :look:

I've been too light handed in the past. No matter what kit I used, I've always had enough to save. That's why I wanted to make sure I used something with a color indicator this time. Not all the kits I've used before had that. Before this site, I never thought about being under neutralized with a home TU. I just lathered once or twice then went on to the next step. I was in a hurry since I was usually at someone else's house having them put it in for me.

Daisimae

bgsix said:
I am glad everything worked out for you. I plan to self relax next month. I can't decide if I want to use Silk elements or Profective.

Thanks Bgsix. I choose Profectiv because of the sizing, price and what I read about it here. For my first self-relax I wanted to stick to no-lye. It was the right choice for me.

I hope yours comes out well too.:)

HoneyDew

Daisimae said:
I've been too light handed in the past. No matter what kit I used, I've always had enough to save. That's why I wanted to make sure I used something with a color indicator this time. Not all the kits I've used before had that. Before this site, I never thought about being under neutralized with a home TU. I just lathered once or twice then went on to the next step. I was in a hurry since I was usually at someone else's house having them put it in for me.

I am heavy handed with conditioners like that too. When I hear how much conditioner others use I am like :eek:

I recently have been trying to be less ghetto :)lol: ) with how I apply my products. Yesterday I used a little conditioner and massaged it in carefully instead of pouring it on like a crazy woman. That worked for me. I am going to try to keep doing it like that. I need to try that with my shampoos, including neutralizing ones, too. I put so much on the suds start coming down my face and into my ears. :lol:

Daisimae

HoneyDew said:
I am heavy handed with conditioners like that too. When I hear how much conditioner others use I am like :eek:

I recently have been trying to be less ghetto :)lol: ) with how I apply my products. Yesterday I used a little conditioner and massaged it in carefully instead of pouring it on like a crazy woman. That worked for me. I am going to try to keep doing it like that. I need to try that with my shampoos, including neutralizing ones, too. I put so much on the suds start coming down my face and into my ears. :lol:

I hear ya! Macheriamour opened my eyes to the "less is more" theory. I'm using less daily moisturizer and less shampoo. But, I'm still slathering on that ORS Replenishing after I mix it with Humectress. That stuff just smells so good!

It's back to my regular regimen tomorrow, wash, PC and DC day. I don't think I am going to rollerset though. Just apply the leave-ins and sit under the warm dryer until I'm dry. Between my wigs and phonie ponies, I do plan to wear any curls for the next few days.