3rd Self Relax attempt: FAILED

VirtuousGal

Hey guys, I just needed to vent a little. So last night I permed my hair with the new ORS lye relaxer thinking, this is going to be so much better. As you might or might not know I permed my hair with Vitale lye twice and it sucked major booty. I was very underprocessed with that relaxer. So I was determined to do better this time. I based my scalp with a thin grease, B&B oil, I did this because I wondered if I was getting underprocessed before due to the heavy petroleum. I put porosity control on my hair and some did get on my previous underprocessed parts but I figured that was ok since I wouldnt want that part to cook too much. LOL

Then I proceeded to apply from about 11:40 pm and finished something at around 12:20, that's about forty minutes. I thought I might have overprocessed! I rinsed it out and my hair at the roots was feeling so smooth. I thought, "finally, my hair is relaxed" After about a good 7 minutes just rinsing, I put porosity control in for maybe 10 minutes. Then I shampooed with vitale neutralizer twice, leaving it on for a total of 15 min maybe. Then my hair started to feel slightly wavy. I went in the mirror and I saw some deep waves but it wasnt that bad I thought. Then I washed with Elasta QP creme shampoo. I wanted to do a strong protein but I was afraid of reversion so I stayed away from Aphogee. But I was even more afraid of breakage so I used a dominican product called La Bomba. My hair felt stronger but I definitely felt waves at this point.

I still thought it would be ok and I finished up with Tressemme remoisturize. When I was done I went back in the mirror and I could have darn near cried. Loose slopppy curls throughout my roots, partly relaxed, partly wavy partly and dry behind curls. I was rather upset but I proceeded to blow dry and crosswrap my hair. This morning it doesnt look too bad. It looks like I got an ok perm and it looks straight, but I know what will happen should it get wet. Where did I go wrong. I really took my time to smooth and left it on pretty long. I dont get it. Maybe I will try motions herbal relaxer next. :(
Thanks for listening. Comments and suggestions very much so welcome. ;)
P.S. I know its completely wrong but I am dying to correct in a few days and process for like ten minutes.

Last edited:
I don't know about so many different relaxers. I would just stick with one. Maybe the La Bomba reverted your hair back. I don't know. Sending hugs.

I wouldn't try relaxing again in a couple of days though.

I know your right about the relaxing...perhaps it was the La Bomba, I looked at the ingredients and it had protein but it had but it was further down the list.

Sorry about your hair troubles. Personally, I like being underprocessed, because bone straight hair makes my already thin/medium hair look thinner. My 1st self-relaxing attempt also left me underprocessed, but I liked how my hair felt, so now I underprocess "on purpose".:) I use Silk Elements lye, regular strength, with olive oil mixed in.

If you want your hair bone straight, though, you may have to leave the relaxer on for a longer period of time. Also, did you use any sulfur-based growth aides (MTG, Boundless Tresses) before your relaxer? It's best to stop using those a week before relaxing. I'm not too sure about the ingredients in La Bomba, but I've used the Aphogee Intensive Keratin Reconstructor (the "2 minute" one) after relaxing with no reversion problems.

Oh yeah, and DON'T RELAX AGAIN in a few days!:eek: :eek: Wait at least 6 weeks!

Thanks precious jewel and DLEWIS. Has anyone used La Bomba, could that have been the culprit? Or does anyone think it could have been the porosity control bringing the ph down.

Kristal said:
Thanks precious jewel and DLEWIS. Has anyone used La Bomba, could that have been the culprit? Or does anyone think it could have been the porosity control bringing the ph down.

Porosity Control would not revert your hair. It helps bring down the pH, which is a GOOD thing - that's also what your neutralizing shampoo does. I personally use, love, and recommend Porosity Control conditioner as a post-relaxer treatment.:)

I can't speak for La Bomba, I've never used it.

I have learned that I am under processed if I don't smooth well enogh after I apply my relaxer. I just relaxed with ORS Saturday and the only part that didn't get straight was my middle and that was the only part that I didn't smooth good. After I relaxed I then did a henna treatment and then deep conditoned; airdried about 80% and put some flexi-rods in my hair and went to bed. So far so good.

I am on the HYH challenge but we were visiting a church Sunday and I had to look tight.

So it doesn't matter that I put porosity control on my hair right before I relaxed?
preciousjewel76 said:
Porosity Control would not revert your hair. It helps bring down the pH, which is a GOOD thing - that's also what your neutralizing shampoo does. I personally use, love, and recommend Porosity Control conditioner as a post-relaxer treatment.:)

I can't speak for La Bomba, I've never used it.

Kristal said:
So it doesn't matter that I put porosity control on my hair right before I relaxed?

Did you put it on the new growth, or the pre-relaxed strands? It might have had an effect if it got on the new growth....

How much of the relaxer did you use? One tip I got from my friends dad who does hair, is that the amount of relaxer you use matters. He would always use the whole jar or relaxer, even though in the back it said it would work for two applications. When I used to self relax, I would do that and I never had a problem. Maybe that could be a factor?

I think the same thing happened to me before. I used the porosity control before the relaxer once and some got on my new growth, it also left me underprocessed. This may also have been a contributing factor.

I agree with Dee Raven. Lots of times when I was underprocessed, it was because I had a smaller amount of product than usual and was trying to "stretch" the relaxer. If I am generous and kind of just glop it on (ng only) I get the best results. More product is best when working with relaxer.

Kristal said:
A little did get on my newgrowth.

I think this is why you were underprocessed. The PC is going to neutralize the effects of the relaxer, maybe you got more on the new growth than you originally though. Why don't you try protecting the previously relaxed hair with grease instead if that is something you think you really need to do.

CAPlush said:
I think this is why you were underprocessed. The PC is going to neutralize the effects of the relaxer, maybe you got more on the new growth than you originally though. Why don't you try protecting the previously relaxed hair with grease instead if that is something you think you really need to do.

I agree. Use the PC after relaxing, before you neutralize next time (apply to hair after you rinse out relaxer, leave on for a couple minutes, rinse out). I put silk amino acids and/or cholesterol conditioner on my hair to protect it. I put the silk amino acids on the NG and previously relaxed hair to protect from damage. I only put condish on the previously relaxed hair to keep from overprocessing it.

OT: CAPlush, I'm starting to think you're my hair twin.:look: We're about the same length (except I have the "V" going on) and our hair seems to like the same products.

Thank you sooo much ladies, I appreciate you taking the time. OK so pc is the devil before the relaxer, and its a savior afterwards, got it! ;)

Dee Raven said:
How much of the relaxer did you use? One tip I got from my friends dad who does hair, is that the amount of relaxer you use matters. He would always use the whole jar or relaxer, even though in the back it said it would work for two applications. When I used to self relax, I would do that and I never had a problem. Maybe that could be a factor?

This si something I was wondering about. I self relaxed my hair for the first time in a very long time and I was left underprocessed. And i remembered back in the day when I self relaxed my hair always seem to be left underprocessed. But I did notice I am very very light handed with the relaxer when I apply it.

I will ry to be more heav hand in the application in the future to see if that makes a difference in my results. But that will be in 3 months minimum.

preciousjewel76 said:
OT: CAPlush, I'm starting to think you're my hair twin.:look: We're about the same length (except I have the "V" going on) and our hair seems to like the same products.

Hey precious, I looked through your fotki and I think so too!!! :D :D :D

Back