My hair is breaking at the demarcation line

Amari

I am currently stretching,hitting at 4 months.My relaxed ends are now breaking off at the demarcation line.Is it best for me to go ahead and relax now or try and hold out w/ braids?This is the first stretch this has happened I'm usually able to go 4-6 months.I'm considering transitioning also...

That happened to me last touch up, I had breakage in a couple of spots due to stretching. I would go ahead and relax, if you don't want to then up your protein treatments...

It's not a good idea to relax hair that is breaking; you need to fix the breakage problem first. Have you tried a protein treatment to halt the breakage?

You really need to ensure that your hair is in good condition prior to relaxing otherwise you may exacerbate the problem.

It's unusual that you're having this problem this time round considering you've done long stretches previously. Have you changed your hair routine in anyway?

I agree with Iansan to go ahead and relax especially if the breakage amount really concerns you. I however, is transitioning to texlaxed hair and really not concerned about the breakage. The reason being, I will be cutting off all the bone straight relaxed hair anyway. So what I am doing is stretching my relaxer even longer than my usual 12 week. I am now attempting a stretch of 6-8 months with the help of braids and cornrows. I believe this new regimen will work best for me to achieve texlaxed hair.

I say up the protein! Relaxers are NEVER the solution to a problem. Your hair should be healthy before you relax, so I suggest Aphogee. Im stretching 4 and 1/2 months and I've just added APhogee damaged hair shampoo and 2 minute reconstructor to my reggie. Maybe try the 2-step protein treatment, but I've never used it.

This happened to me as well. I would not suggest relaxing until you fix the problem. I'm not sure what your hair needs be it protein or moisture. But I think you should figure that part out first before you relax.

Also be sure to be gentle with your hair. I noticed that my breakage wasn't necessarily the result of the two textures but because I was too rough with my hair. I had a hard time adjusting to the thicker texture.

I hope this helps.

It's not a good idea to relax hair that is breaking; you need to fix the breakage problem first. Have you tried a protein treatment to halt the breakage?

You really need to ensure that your hair is in good condition prior to relaxing otherwise you may exacerbate the problem.

It's unusual that you're having this problem this time round considering you've done long stretches previously. Have you changed your hair routine in anyway?

I agree that you should get the breakage under some control with protein treatment/reconstructor but demarcation breakage is different than other types of breakage in my opinion. I tried this before and the only thing that really stopped the demarcation breakage for me was after I actually relaxed my hair again. However, yes two or three protein/reconstructor treatments is highly recommended before and after relaxing:yep:.

I'm having the same problem. On week 13 of my 15 week stretch this is my first time this long I'm gonna do a hardcore tonight and hope that helps :)

You got two choices. You can relax. I've read posts of other ladies who had breakage with long stretches and the breakage stopped when they relaxed. Or you can up the protein paying particular attention to the demarcation line if you want to stretch longer. Out of curiosity, have you been specifically moisturising the NG and the demarcation line? People sometimes forget to do this.

With all due respect I agree with Aggie and Iansan why b/c if your gonna stretch then you got to up the protien treatments automatic. Esp.if you are going for 6 months to a year or longer why b/c you are commicating to your hair that you are going natural and that is why the hair starts to break at the line of demarcation. This is why when I stretch 12 weeks + I only relax 4x a year- I moisturize and protien treatments in my hair. This happened to me and I let my STYLIST relax my hair I have come to the point if I have to relax my hair I will go NATURAL! With the help of my stylist. I understand your pain I just did a 6 month stretch September 08-March 09 my hair was 1/4 ng and started to break however, not as bad b/c I used protien a lot.

Thanks so much for the replies ladies I'm off to work soon so I cant reply w/ details.I wanted to say that I'm guilty of not uppin the protein...I did moisturize twice daily and paid attention to the line of demarcation.I will do the two step protein tonight.(Aphogee)Me not using protein the way I should was no different this time from my last stretches though.(Thats why I thought it was no biggie this time around)

Are cholesterol conditioners protein?(I've never tried them...I want to incorporate more protein I'm not ready to relax thats a last resort)

This happened to me as well. I would not suggest relaxing until you fix the problem. I'm not sure what your hair needs be it protein or moisture. But I think you should figure that part out first before you relax.

Also be sure to be gentle with your hair. I noticed that my breakage wasn't necessarily the result of the two textures but because I was too rough with my hair. I had a hard time adjusting to the thicker texture.

I hope this helps.

YES... to the bold part. I stretched eleven weeks with no problems the first time I stretched. Then, I went for three or four 8 week stretches and was having problems. I noticed that this time my hair is doing really well despite the fact that I have more growth now at 6.5 weeks than I did in each of my last two 8 week stretches (thank you MT/OCT/Bee Mine). I think it's because I have been really taking my time while rollersetting my wet hair.

Thanks so much for the replies ladies I'm off to work soon so I cant reply w/ details.I wanted to say that I'm guilty of not uppin the protein...I did moisturize twice daily and paid attention to the line of demarcation.I will do the two step protein tonight.(Aphogee)Me not using protein the way I should was no different this time from my last stretches though.(Thats why I thought it was no biggie this time around)

We are moving into spring/summer. Many people report increased growth during this time. It could be that you are getting a little thick up there sooner so you may need to incorporate protein sooner than you might expect to based on past experience.

I've incorporated 2-Minute Aphogee into my regi - every two weeks. I'm stretching for the long haul. DC's are essential as well as daily moisture.

I've incorporated 2-Minute Aphogee into my regi - every two weeks. I'm stretching for the long haul. DC's are essential as well as daily moisture.

OT

Can I just say that I am in AWE (I looked at your fotki) that you can keep that color on your hair and still have your hair looking that healthy!!!!

If I put color on my hair, my hair would be like :fistshake: :hardslap:!

Hair breakage at the demarcation line doesn't mean it's unhealthy. It means that the two textures are different enough to cause tension and they snap with handling. I'd say, relax the new growth.

^^^I agree demarcation breakage does not mean unhealthy hair. I did a protein treatment with Keraphix before my relaxer on Friday and my hair is fine now, no breakage, no shedding...

Hair breakage at the demarcation line doesn't mean it's unhealthy. It means that the two textures are different enough to cause tension and they snap with handling. I'd say, relax the new growth.

^^^I agree demarcation breakage does not mean unhealthy hair. I did a protein treatment with Keraphix before my relaxer on Friday and my hair is fine now, no breakage, no shedding...

I never really gave it much thought but this makes sense.

But if she's thinking about transitioning she still has to figure out how to combat the breakage

Sorry to hijack this thread......I'm having a similar issue.

I guess I did an unintentional stretch. I just literally lost track of the calendar...its been about 4 months now. I usually texlax every 8 weeks. About a month ago I started getting serious breakage...now I'm thinking it was at the demarcation line, at the time I thought it was all shedding and ignored it.

:nono: It just occurred to me tonight what was going on.....now I'm extremely upset that I lost so much hair, but also want to know the best way to stop it.

I can't get a touch up until Saturday at the earliest. Any suggestions on a short term solution? I'm definitely upping the protein, anything else I should do.

If you can get a relaxer on Saturday... wash your hair tonight, do a protein treatment followed by a deep condition treatment, then leave your hair alone until the relaxer on Saturday.

I agree that you should get the breakage under some control with protein treatment/reconstructor but demarcation breakage is different than other types of breakage in my opinion. I tried this before and the only thing that really stopped the demarcation breakage for me was after I actually relaxed my hair again. However, yes two or three protein/reconstructor treatments is highly recommended before and after relaxing:yep:.

I concur. Same thing happened to me. Protein treatments did nothing but make the breakage worse from overload. The only thing that stopped that type of breakage was relaxing. If your hair is saying relax then relax. If you're not relaxing again then do try protein or moisture but it may just all break off but that will be where your going anyways (transitioning to natural). But I will say that if you do braid it that may work also because that is the only way I stretch past 10 weeks but the only reservation I have with that is that I don't usually wait until it is breaking to do it.

hi, im new here and this is my first post. i am also starting my transitioning journey. i need a little help with breakage at the line of demarcation. i am currently deployed to the desert and i have approximately 3 months left before i leave country and we wash with well water. i have tried everything to help stop the breakage. i DC, mild protein and moisture poo on fridays, co-wash every other day or every 2 days if we are busy, baggie 2x a week, moisturize everynight(alternating between a protein moisturizer and non protien moisturizer) and seal with hairveda's vatika frosting and i also spray my hair twice a day with a mixture of water, oil, and conditioner. I have no idea what else i can do.

Also i am having a hard time determining my hair type. help please:yep: Thank you

also my last relaxer attempt was approximately 4 weeks ago

Attachments

• SAM_0068.jpg
    SAM_0068.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 29
hi, im new here and this is my first post. i am also starting my transitioning journey. i need a little help with breakage at the line of demarcation. i am currently deployed to the desert and i have approximately 3 months left before i leave country and we wash with well water. i have tried everything to help stop the breakage. i DC, mild protein and moisture poo on fridays, co-wash every other day or every 2 days if we are busy, baggie 2x a week, moisturize everynight(alternating between a protein moisturizer and non protien moisturizer) and seal with hairveda's vatika frosting and i also spray my hair twice a day with a mixture of water, oil, and conditioner. I have no idea what else i can do.

Also i am having a hard time determining my hair type. help please:yep: Thank you

also my last relaxer attempt was approximately 4 weeks ago
Wow, you are having demarcation breakage in as little as 4 weeks? That is so soon. I didn't start to have demarcation breakage until like 7 weeks post weeks I was relaxed.

Sounds like you need to clarify your hair, especially if the well water is very hard water. It could be partly responsible for such early demarcation breakage. You might want to use a stronger protein treatment as well. Are you using a reconstructor protein or just any mild protein?

I would recommend Joico K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor or Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment for damaged hair or Dudleys DRC Treatment. You know Ultra Sheen's Duo Tek Protein Conditioner is awesome too. Just a few examples you could try. Also remember to always follow up with a good deep moisturizing conditioner as well.

T'sHair,
i do a mild protein once a week and then i do emerggencee about once a month. i use a shower to filter to help combat the highly chlorinated water as well and i alway DC with a shower cap after each protein treatment. maybe it is just plain breakage??????? i assumed it was from the line of demarc because they are long strings of straight hair, no waves at all and no short pieces. Thanks again for the advice

Back