My Hair is Breaking/ What to Do???!!!

eurka007

Okay, I admit I got a little too comfortable with my hair... and I started doing things I use to do like straightening and blow drying (but only after washing my hair).. Now my hair is BREAKING like crazy...

I did Joico-Kpak reconstruct hoping the breakage would stop and it hasnt...

I tried aphogee 2 min before that, and same thing..

Some of the strands have little white bulbs on them which I know is shedding, but I pull my hair back into a bun and I have little hairs all over my hands too!

I havent relaxed since 12/15/09 and Im not sure if that is part of the problem, since my relaxer made my hair texlaxed in some areas..

Since Ive started healthy hair practices and joined this board, I have not seen this much hair coming out of my head... I'm really scared because nothing seems to be working.. and I feel like if I continue to wash my hair it will only get worst..

yesterday i did a protein treatment, followed by a DC, and a roller set... still no progress... I even trimmed my ends off and my hair is still not healthy!!

what would you do in this situation? what do you think the problem is with my hair? any advice would help, i'm FREAKING out... and I'm afraid that I'm taking a HUGE step back when it comes to having healthy hair :nono:

makeupvixen

Those that you mentioned didn't work for me either, not even Henna treatments.

Things that helped immediatley stop my breakage was Jamaican Black Castor oil in everything I use (Conditioner, leave -Ins, Creams), I added it to everything. I also added Silk Amino Acid and a dash of Silk Peptide to my deep conditioners, I love it as well, can't live without it.

Aubrey's Organic GPB stoped my breakage after the second use. I swear by it now. http://www.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organic...oner-All-Hair-Types-11-fl-oz-325-ml/7549?at=1

I stopped with the heat for about 3 months straight.

I increased my water and vitamin E intake, along with my multi-vitamin. If you already take multi's then I would add some Omega 3 to your diet.

Take deep breathes and relax, don't stress over it. We are all here to help you. Transitioning and laerning your hair takes time. Are you protective styling? Did you say goodbye to a lot of heat? Are you bunning too tight?

Last edited:

LynnieB

Sounds like protein overload and it's making your hair super brittle. You'll need to counter it with plenty of moisturizing, non-protein conditioners treatments. Aubrey's Honeysuckle Rose comes to mind, I'm sure there are others.

Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions in a few.

eurka007

Ive tried using a lot of moisture, im just not sure what the issue is... hopefully it is just too much protein... should i rewash my hair or wait before adding moisture?

ceebee3

I had a problem with breakage and I thought it was because I needed more protein.

I did a protein treatment and the breakage did not stop, I actually needed more moisture.

I didn't want a setback so I did a hot oil treatment on dry hair, and deep conditioned with a moisturizing treatment about 3 times a week.

The next week I deep conditioned once a week but used a moisturizing conditioner on dry hair every night then rinsed and kept my hair in two braids.

It took about 4 weeks before my hair was back. I think I may have overdone the moisture because my hair lost some elasticity, it stretched too much when I pulled it.

At the end of the 4th week, I did the aphogee 2 step and my hair was in pefect balance. It felt very strong, good elasticity and wasn't breaking anymore.

MissYocairis

:wave: I really think it's protein overload. I did the same thing with my hair that you did with yours. As soon as my hair was healthy and happy, I started getting too busy with it. Too much heat...trying out things that my hair didn't want or didn't need.

Everyone's hair cannot handle too much protein or really strong protein. With my hair, I had perfectly healthy, wonnnnnderful hair and I did an Aphogee 2 min....calling myself "trying to stay ahead of the game":rolleyes:....well, within a few days, my hair was breaking and would not stop.

All my progress...down the drain and on the floor. I learned my hair is sensitive to too much protein and moisture is the key for it.

You may be the same way. You've done an aphogee 2 min. You've done a Joico reconstructor. And, you are still doing other protein treatments, sounds like. Plus extra heat. It's protein overload.

If I were you, I'd key in on some highly moisturizing deep condish's and doing some baggying or prepooing with oil. Don't forget to add oil to your dc's and do one at least once a week. For maintenance I'd be sure to seal all moisture in with oil and I'd be sure to go on a heat FAST for at least 3 weeks (really more if you can swing it).

For moisture I love good old fashioned LeKair cholesterol mixed with oil (evoo, coconut, jojoba or whatever you have) and honey (a humectant).

AO Honeysuckle Rose condish is UNBELIEVABLE. I just bought 3 bottles last week. Mix a lil oil and honey in it and wait for the magic to happen.

Also, I've used the following for moisture with good results (always adding oil and honey to them):

• Say Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner - :love: (you get this at Walgreens $7...it's insane)
  • Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer (this has a tiny bit of protein so I wouldn't recommend using it every week...maybe just one DC per month)
  • Mizani Moisturefuse

Again, I highly recommend baggying. I'm from the LHCF old school. :lol: When in doubt and you need to infuse moisture...I haven't seen anything that works as well as a weekly baggy treatment. I usually separate my hair into 3 or more ponytails after oiling my scalp and the length of my hair and go from there.

HTH! :wave:

KrystalClear

:wave: I really think it's protein overload. I did the same thing with my hair that you did with yours. As soon as my hair was healthy and happy, I started getting too busy with it. Too much heat...trying out things that my hair didn't want or didn't need.

Everyone's hair cannot handle too much protein or really strong protein. With my hair, I had perfectly healthy, wonnnnnderful hair and I did an Aphogee 2 min....calling myself "trying to stay ahead of the game":rolleyes:....well, within a few days, my hair was breaking and would not stop.

All my progress...down the drain and on the floor. I learned my hair is sensitive to too much protein and moisture is the key for it.

You may be the same way. You've done an aphogee 2 min. You've done a Joico reconstructor. And, you are still doing other protein treatments, sounds like. Plus extra heat. It's protein overload.

If I were you, I'd key in on some highly moisturizing deep condish's and doing some baggying or prepooing with oil. Don't forget to add oil to your dc's and do one at least once a week. For maintenance I'd be sure to seal all moisture in with oil and I'd be sure to go on a heat FAST for at least 3 weeks (really more if you can swing it).

For moisture I love good old fashioned LeKair cholesterol mixed with oil (evoo, coconut, jojoba or whatever you have) and honey (a humectant).

AO Honeysuckle Rose condish is UNBELIEVABLE. I just bought 3 bottles last week. Mix a lil oil and honey in it and wait for the magic to happen.

Also, I've used the following for moisture with good results (always adding oil and honey to them):

• Say Yes to Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner - :love: (you get this at Walgreens $7...it's insane)
  • Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hair Remoisturizer (this has a tiny bit of protein so I wouldn't recommend using it every week...maybe just one DC per month)
  • Mizani Moisturefuse

Again, I highly recommend baggying. I'm from the LHCF old school. :lol: When in doubt and you need to infuse moisture...I haven't seen anything that works as well as a weekly baggy treatment. I usually separate my hair into 3 or more ponytails after oiling my scalp and the length of my hair and go from there.

This is awesome!! I am having the same issues as OP. I will say I did a wet bun all day and it was good. but then last night I added protein to my hair. Now my hair is a little hard. lol. I can't wait to go home and DC. But I'm really ready to go out on Saturday and purchase the Say yes to carrots mud conditioner you are talking about. I know my hair needs moisture. But recently I thought about the fact that I may need to Chelate and do porosity control, then do a DC. I'm ready for this! Thanks!

MissYocairis

This is awesome!! I am having the same issues as OP. I will say I did a wet bun all day and it was good. but then last night I added protein to my hair. Now my hair is a little hard. lol. I can't wait to go home and DC. But I'm really ready to go out on Saturday and purchase the Say yes to carrots mud conditioner you are talking about. I know my hair needs moisture. But recently I thought about the fact that I may need to Chelate and do porosity control, then do a DC. I'm ready for this! Thanks!

That sounds so good. Your hair is going to love the above bolded.

Usually, when I do a dc....I'll mix up the condish and oil and a lil honey in a mixing bowl and heat in microwave for 14 seconds or so and then add to my hair and leave it on for several to 13 hours. It's like giving your hair a celebration.

KrystalClear

That sounds so good. Your hair is going to love the above bolded.

Usually, when I do a dc....I'll mix up the condish and oil and a lil honey in a mixing bowl and heat in microwave for 14 seconds or so and then add to my hair and leave it on for several to 13 hours. It's like giving your hair a celebration.

It needs one! lol

eurka007

• Mizani Moisturefuse

I think I may have that same problem... it seems like my hair is perfectly happy until I decide to do a protein treatment!! I think I'm going to stick to moisturizing and try some of the products you mentioned! thanks again!!! I wish I would have just left all of that protein out of my hair!!!

Bouncin&Behavin

Thanks ladies. I've been shedding A LOT this week. After reading this, I realize it's from the Aphogee 2 Min treatment I did last Saturday. I guess I didn't need it.