What to do with my breaking hair?

HERicane10 said:
Well, keep ya head up! I know its hard dealing with these times when you've worked so hard.:( You've gotten a lot of great info, so just find what works and be patient AND DON"T CUT YOUR HAIR!:mad: :spank: :D

Also you might give ORS Carrot Oil a try, you'll notice a big difference in just a week of regular use.

I agree with HERicane. I've been having a problem similar to yours, and I'm am forcing myself not to trim anymore than is necessary to not look raggedy. I tried the ORS Carrot Oil that she suggested, and noticed an improvement immediately.

@ Cayenne: I am so thrilled that you were able to finally figure out what the breakage culprit was. At least you know that you don't have to give up BT or baggying, but realize that you'll have to moderate these as you go along. And I'm delighted that you can still use henna. Excellent. Congratulations!

@ MzLady78: I hope you're able to figure out the problem. It's so difficult to find a good balance of protein to moisture. I've had to figure it out as well, but Porosity Control has been a lifesaver for me. Listen to Cayenne, Gymfreak and others who swear by Porosity Control. I've been using both the shampoo and conditioner. They also have the treatment and deep reconstructor. All of these have helped and they come in smaller sizes at Sally's Beauty Supply so that you can try them out.

Every time I see one of these breakage/shedding threads, I try to see if there's a pattern. I'm specifically looking, not only for products that ladies choose, but I'm beginning to wonder if hair type has anything to do with it. I'm noticing that fine-haired women confront these problems more often than not. It's simply because our hair is a lot more fragile and we have to be ever mindful that too much moisture is actually the cause of these types of problems. I haven't proven my theory yet, but I am keeping an eye on it.

In the meantime, good luck with everything and please do keep us posted.

Take care!

SP :kiss:

bravenewgirl87 said:
Ditto it it all... except the henna. I don't know much about neutral henna. I would say that Skikakai is an amazing Ayurvedic powder and it strenghtens the hair. I think that you can do braidouts because it is low manipulation, can be washed regularly without fear of them coming out, and you can baggy them. Also, i think your hair is breaking because of the extreme stress you have been under. Honestly, do some braidouts for a month and leave it be. If you are using BT or LR, use the it every day on the scalp and moisturize with a protein hairdressing, too. Worked for me.

I did a shikaiki/alma powder treatment this weekend and have absolutely no breakage whatsoever. I had been experiencing a little bit for the past week, but not after this weekend. I combed my hair this morning. No hair in comb. I ran my fingers through my hair on the way home this afternoon. No hair in my fingers. I love Indian products.;)

Okay, so I tried the porosity test and one end of the hair sank, the other floated. So I have no idea what to do.

I'm so frustrated right now. My hair isn't laying down right even after using the mango butter on it and covering it with a scarf, it looks like I'm like 5 months post and I only got a relaxer 4 weeks ago!!

I'm seriously thinking about cutting it and starting over. I don't have the money to keep using the trial and error method as far as products.

MzLady78 said:
Okay, so I tried the porosity test and one end of the hair sank, the other floated. So I have no idea what to do.

I'm so frustrated right now. My hair isn't laying down right even after using the mango butter on it and covering it with a scarf, it looks like I'm like 5 months post and I only got a relaxer 4 weeks ago!!

I'm seriously thinking about cutting it and starting over. I don't have the money to keep using the trial and error method as far as products.

Aww don't cut it yet hun. Just keep DCing and moisturizing. It might not be fixed overnight. What are you using to DC?

bmoreflyygirl said:
Aww don't cut it yet hun. Just keep DCing and moisturizing. It might not be fixed overnight. What are you using to DC?

Girl, I'm trying to refrain, but I fed up. I don't like spending a lot of time dealing with me hair and I damn sure to like spending a lot of money to try to fix it.:mad:

I'm using ORS replenishing pack to DC.

MzLady78 said:
Girl, I'm trying to refrain, but I fed up. I don't like spending a lot of time dealing with me hair and I damn sure to like spending a lot of money to try to fix it.:mad:

I'm using ORS replenishing pack to DC.

Hmm... that's what I use too. Could it be something else making your hair break? When I'm stressed out I have a patch in the back that breaks out. All that time I thought it was the relaxer but it happened again now that I'm natural. It's not as bad but I just try not to touch that section. The only thing that stopped it before was some treatment my moms hair dresser used. She made me come every week for a month and it finally stopped. I'm pretty sure it was some Deep Conditioner.

My reason for saying not to cut is this, everytime somebody has issues with their hair breaking off now that they've found this board they wanna just chop it all off and start over. That should be a last resort. How many of us in the past had damaged hair and held onto it and treated it and trimmed a little at a time. I know my hair has broken off a plenty of time in the past (my hair was primarily being taken care of by my hair dresser) but with treatments it was able to get back on track. I mean what if you cut it and it still does it? Then you would have cut for nothing. How long have you been working at it?

ETA: What kind of gel are you using for your pony?

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
Hmm... that's what I use too. Could it be something else making your hair break? When I'm stressed out I have a patch in the back that breaks out. All that time I thought it was the relaxer but it happened again now that I'm natural. It's not as bad but I just try not to touch that section. The only thing that stopped it before was some treatment my moms hair dresser used. She made me come every week for a month and it finally stopped. I'm pretty sure it was some Deep Conditioner. How long have you been working at it?

ETA: What kind of gel are you using for your pony?

A few weeks. Like I said, I tried Emergencee, I've tried Aphogee in the past as well.

I think the gel is Smooth N Shine. I tried just using the mango but it doesn't work either.

MzLady78 said:
A few weeks. Like I said, I tried Emergencee, I've tried Aphogee in the past as well.

I think the gel is Smooth N Shine. I tried just using the mango but it doesn't work either.

A lot of people don't like the mango butter. I wouldn't worry about that. :lol: It could be the mango butter and not your hair. I can't really use it anymore but I used to when I was relaxed.

bmoreflyygirl said:
A lot of people don't like the mango butter. I wouldn't worry about that. :lol: It could be the mango butter and not your hair. I can't really use it anymore but I used to when I was relaxed.

I don't know. I bought it months ago after seeing so many people say how good a job it did of laying down their edges. I one of those people who's ponytail was be perfect, lol. Not a single stray hair. And right now, it's not happening no matter what I use.

MzLady78 said:
I don't know. I bought it months ago after seeing so many people say how good a job it did of laying down their edges. I one of those people who's ponytail was be perfect, lol. Not a single stray hair. And right now, it's not happening no matter what I use.

Yeah I want my hair to be perfectly slicked down when I wear it in a pony too. I don't want no strays!! I know everybody is trying to be helpful but trying a bunch of new products at this point probably isn't going help. Then you wouldn't be able to pinpoint what the problem is. There's too much new stuff in the mix. Do you think the mango butter could be causing shedding? If I'm not mistaken I remember somebody mentioning that in a thread not to long ago. Maybe your hair is just out of order for the time being. That's how mines ended up on the bathroom floor. :look: Please don't do what I did. :lol:

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yeah I want my hair to be perfectly slicked down when I wear it in a pony too. I don't want no strays!! I know everybody is trying to be helpful but trying a bunch of new products at this point probably isn't going help. Then you wouldn't be able to pinpoint what the problem is. There's too much new stuff in the mix. Do you think the mango butter could be causing shedding? If I'm not mistaken I remember somebody mentioning that in a thread not to long ago. Maybe your hair is just out of order for the time being. That's how mines ended up on the bathroom floor. :look: Please don't do what I did. :lol:

Yeah, that's why I used the clarifying shampoo last week. I thought maybe I just had do much stuff in it.

I'm gonna give it a little more time, but if I don't an improvement, off it goes, LOL.

MzLady78 said:
Yeah, that's why I used the clarifying shampoo last week. I thought maybe I just had do much stuff in it.

I'm gonna give it a little more time, but if I don't an improvement, off it goes, LOL.

Did you follow up with a moisturizing poo after the clarifying one? I hate clarifying. It makes my hair feel so squeaky clean it's scary. I have to put my therrappe on it asap lol

If you can find a local Indian store, why not go ahead and do the amla or amla/shikaki treatment? You WON'T be disappointed! :) I'd say do about 2-3 treatments with that (make sure you oil with coconut oil or something else equally yummy as a pretreat). I PROMISE your shedding will be lil to nil. :orders: I told yo aarrzz not to be trying to cut all that progress off.:naughty: :grin:

So do that and then go to your braids" CONSERVE, (no manipulation), PROTECT, (braids) , & PRESERVE (moisture, moisture, moisture)! Alright, soldier! Get at it! :look: This is the boot camp thread, huh?!:lol: You know I'm just trying to hook ya up! ;)

Last edited:
HERicane10 said:
If you can find a local Indian store, why not go ahead and do the amla or amla/shikaki treatment? You WON'T be disappointed! :) I'd say do about 2-3 treatments with that (make sure you oil with coconut oil or something else equally yummy as a pretreat). I PROMISE your shedding will be lil to nil. :orders: I told yo aarrzz not to be trying to cut all that progress off.:naughty: :grin:

Girl, I have no idea where there's an Indian store. I'll have do some searching.

Believe me, I don't want to cut it, cause I think it has potential, LOL.

ETA: Do you know if there's anywhere online that sell it. There doesn't seem to be one that's anywhere near me.

Last edited:
Serenity_Peace said:
@ Cayenne: I am so thrilled that you were able to finally figure out what the breakage culprit was. At least you know that you don't have to give up BT or baggying, but realize that you'll have to moderate these as you go along. And I'm delighted that you can still use henna. Excellent. Congratulations!

@ MzLady78: I hope you're able to figure out the problem. It's so difficult to find a good balance of protein to moisture. I've had to figure it out as well, but Porosity Control has been a lifesaver for me. Listen to Cayenne, Gymfreak and others who swear by Porosity Control. I've been using both the shampoo and conditioner. They also have the treatment and deep reconstructor. All of these have helped and they come in smaller sizes at Sally's Beauty Supply so that you can try them out.

Every time I see one of these breakage/shedding threads, I try to see if there's a pattern. I'm specifically looking, not only for products that ladies choose, but I'm beginning to wonder if hair type has anything to do with it. I'm noticing that fine-haired women confront these problems more often than not. It's simply because our hair is a lot more fragile and we have to be ever mindful that too much moisture is actually the cause of these types of problems. I haven't proven my theory yet, but I am keeping an eye on it.

In the meantime, good luck with everything and please do keep us posted.

Take care!

SP :kiss:

Thanks girl!! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever go back to regular baggying. My hair will have to grow out and be rid of the porous strands before I'd try something like that again. I've continued to use BT on my edges and nape but I probably won't use it on my entire head because the crown of my head already grows ridiculously fast.
Thanks again!

WAIT!!! MzLady78! Before you cut your hair, please consider trying two things, and this goes for the other ladies who use gel:

1. Botanigel Hair Builder: I use this to smoothe down my edges. This gel contains mostly oils. No mineral oil. No alcohol. Here's a description:

Botanigel Hair Builder (4oz.)
pixel_trans.gif
570690.jpg
This product is an all-natural hair care gel designed to build new life, bounce and body into fine hair, giving it a thicker, fuller, youthful look. It helps hard-to-hold hair behave naturally. Made of pure stabilized gel, cold-pressed from the heart of Aloe Vera and Marshmallow root, combined with extracts of other herbs and the natural protiens, nutrients, vitamins, minerals and active enzymes naturally inherent in these comlpex botanicals, it stimulates and aids in promoting new cell growth, reinfores and maintains tensile trength, improves texture and manageability, and helps styles hold longer and better. Its plant proteins and herbal nutrients make it especially beneficial for braided, permed, straightened and chemically treated hair. Ingredients: Aloe Vera and Marshmallow root gel in a base of deionized water, wild Bee honey, bio-intrinsic herbal extracts mixture from Nettle, Chamomile, Alpine Horsetail, Burdock root, Basil, Jojoba, Safflower, and vegetable Glycerine; Sorbitol, Biotin, Allantoin, Lecithin, Inositol, Panthenol, vitamins A, B, C, & E. Natural preservatives and vegetable aroma.
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
TEL: 301-474-8791 Qty
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif

Brand Names | In the Kitchen | Gift Emporium | Contact
Herbs | Vitamins & Supplements | Bulk | Teas & Coffees | Natural Body Care | Herbal Traditions
EMAIL: [email protected]
Webmaster: Thieme Creative Media
Smile Herb • 4908 Berwyn Road • College Park • Maryland 20740
FDA Disclaimer
TEL: 301-474-8791

2. The next thing I want you to try, and this is not expensive: go to Sally's Beauty Supply and get samples of Porosity Control Conditioner, Shampoo and a packet of Roux PC reconstructor. Use the shampoo, then the reconstructor, then the conditioner. Some people do a deep condition afterwards, but I feel that too much moisture would defeat the purpose. Do that and see how things go.

I truly believe that we fine-haired ladies have to struggle a bit more to find the perfect balance between moisture and protein. As I learn more, I have decided to discard products that don't work for me. I give those products away or donate them to the gym downstairs where I work.

Aphogee is too harsh of a protein and doesn't do me any good. I like Cayenne's suggestion of trying out the Pantene Defense Breakage Mask, adding silk proteins to that. What you want to find is a protein that is not too harsh. Perhaps a silk protein or amino acid.

I think you can save your hair. I'm recovering from a bad relaxer. For the last three weeks I started getting breakage, dryness and dullness from that relaxer. I stopped baggying so much and tempered my use of moisturizers. Then, I did a clarify, henna treatment, deep condition, Porosity Control. I've been doing a PC treatment weekly. After 3 weeks, the breakage has almost completely stopped. I still get maybe one of 2 short hairs and possibly one or 2 long sheds of hair, but generally the breakage and shedding has calmed down tremendously.

Good luck to you. Try those two things before you cut that beautiful hair. I think there's a remedy without so much work, money and heartache.

Keep us posted! :kiss:

MzLady78 said:

I think you can just assume your hair is at least partially porous. Maybe the end that sank is on the older end of the hair shaft and its possible that it was damaged which is why it sank. And the other end may be healthier because of better hair practices on your part. I would still do the Porosity Control and ACV rinses because the breakage could be right at the point where the porous part of the strand meets the healthy part of the strand.

My suggestion for the smooth edges is to try a combination of the no alcohol fantasia ic gel and something like dax or as someone else mentioned Paul Mitchell Wax. If you don't want to buy anymore products camouflage your edges by wearing cute headbands or scarves. That's what I've been doing as I go into my 7th week post relaxer. I'm stretching to 8.

Serenity_Peace said:
WAIT!!! MzLady78! Before you cut your hair, please consider trying two things, and this goes for the other ladies who use gel:

1. Botanigel Hair Builder: I use this to smoothe down my edges. This gel contains mostly oils. No mineral oil. No alcohol. Here's a description:

Botanigel Hair Builder (4oz.)
pixel_trans.gif
570690.jpg
This product is an all-natural hair care gel designed to build new life, bounce and body into fine hair, giving it a thicker, fuller, youthful look. It helps hard-to-hold hair behave naturally. Made of pure stabilized gel, cold-pressed from the heart of Aloe Vera and Marshmallow root, combined with extracts of other herbs and the natural protiens, nutrients, vitamins, minerals and active enzymes naturally inherent in these comlpex botanicals, it stimulates and aids in promoting new cell growth, reinfores and maintains tensile trength, improves texture and manageability, and helps styles hold longer and better. Its plant proteins and herbal nutrients make it especially beneficial for braided, permed, straightened and chemically treated hair. Ingredients: Aloe Vera and Marshmallow root gel in a base of deionized water, wild Bee honey, bio-intrinsic herbal extracts mixture from Nettle, Chamomile, Alpine Horsetail, Burdock root, Basil, Jojoba, Safflower, and vegetable Glycerine; Sorbitol, Biotin, Allantoin, Lecithin, Inositol, Panthenol, vitamins A, B, C, & E. Natural preservatives and vegetable aroma.
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif
TEL: 301-474-8791 Qty
pixel_trans.gif
pixel_trans.gif

Brand Names | In the Kitchen | Gift Emporium | Contact
Herbs | Vitamins & Supplements | Bulk | Teas & Coffees | Natural Body Care | Herbal Traditions
EMAIL: [email protected]
Webmaster: Thieme Creative Media
Smile Herb • 4908 Berwyn Road • College Park • Maryland 20740
FDA Disclaimer
TEL: 301-474-8791

2. The next thing I want you to try, and this is not expensive: go to Sally's Beauty Supply and get samples of Porosity Control Conditioner, Shampoo and a packet of Roux PC reconstructor. Use the shampoo, then the reconstructor, then the conditioner. Some people do a deep condition afterwards, but I feel that too much moisture would defeat the purpose. Do that and see how things go.

I truly believe that we fine-haired ladies have to struggle a bit more to find the perfect balance between moisture and protein. As I learn more, I have decided to discard products that don't work for me. I give those products away or donate them to the gym downstairs where I work.

Aphogee is too harsh of a protein and doesn't do me any good. I like Cayenne's suggestion of trying out the Pantene Defense Breakage Mask, adding silk proteins to that. What you want to find is a protein that is not too harsh. Perhaps a silk protein or amino acid.

I think you can save your hair. I'm recovering from a bad relaxer. For the last three weeks I started getting breakage, dryness and dullness from that relaxer. I stopped baggying so much and tempered my use of moisturizers. Then, I did a clarify, henna treatment, deep condition, Porosity Control. I've been doing a PC treatment weekly. After 3 weeks, the breakage has almost completely stopped. I still get maybe one of 2 short hairs and possibly one or 2 long sheds of hair, but generally the breakage and shedding has calmed down tremendously.

Good luck to you. Try those two things before you cut that beautiful hair. I think there's a remedy without so much work, money and heartache.

Keep us posted! :kiss:

Thanks girl!

I will look into this as well. There's always the product exchange thread, LOL.

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks girl!! Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever go back to regular baggying. My hair will have to grow out and be rid of the porous strands before I'd try something like that again. I've continued to use BT on my edges and nape but I probably won't use it on my entire head because the crown of my head already grows ridiculously fast.
Thanks again!

I am thoroughly convinced that you and I are definitely hair twins. I do use BT on edges and nape where my hair is the most fragile. Like you, too, my crown is growing like crazy. I just relaxed 3 weeks ago, albeit a bad underprocessed relaxer. The baggying is not really going any good for my entire head, so I just baggy my ends every other night, using JBCO as a sealant. I've been able to stave off breakage and shedding through Porosity Control treatments, but I will never use harsh proteins again. This weekend is my henna treatment. I'll either do a full head treatment, or simply just add henna to my conditioner. I don't want too much color because I love the blackness from Indigo. ;)

Cayenne0622 said:
I think you can just assume your hair is at least partially porous. Maybe the end that sank is on the older end of the hair shaft and its possible that it was damaged which is why it sank. And the other end may be healthier because of better hair practices on your part. I would still do the Porosity Control and ACV rinses because the breakage could be right at the point where the porous part of the strand meets the healthy part of the strand.

My suggestion for the smooth edges is to try a combination of the no alcohol fantasia ic gel and something like dax or as someone else mentioned Paul Mitchell Wax. If you don't want to buy anymore products camouflage your edges by wearing cute headbands or scarves. That's what I've been doing as I go into my 7th week post relaxer. I'm stretching to 8.

Okay, that makes sense. I wasn't sure if it could be just part porous (I am hair challenged).

I think I am gonna invest in some scarves/headbands too. I hate puffy edges, especially when the ponytail is so straight. Makes it too obvious.

Cayenne0622 said:
Yep, sometimes gel can be bad. I'm real careful with my edges. I don't pull them tight. I put a lot of moisturizer (really thick on my edges and nape) then I put a small amount of "no-alcohol" gel and finish up with something thick like men's Dax pommade. This keeps my edges shiny and smooth while I am stretching my relaxer. I've also started wear silk scarves like head bands and tie in a bow in back. This allows me to not focus on perfectly straight edges because the scarf draws attention away from that and kind of covers them. Its really cute and dresses up my simple buns.

Great idea! good thread :)

MzLady78 said:
Girl, I have no idea where there's an Indian store. I'll have do some searching.

Believe me, I don't want to cut it, cause I think it has potential, LOL.

ETA: Do you know if there's anywhere online that sell it. There doesn't seem to be one that's anywhere near me.

eastwestbazaar.com is pretty good ($12 for S&H up to 11lbs):look:
Also try ebay! Do you have a patel brothers in your area. Do a google

I'm sorry to hear about your breakage. When I was relaxed I went through a couple of bouts with breakage. Sometimes I cut it off, others I was able to get my hair back to a healthy place.
I don't know if you need to buy all new products. Actually you can do a lot of treatments with ingredients you have in your house. You can use eggs and mayonaise for a protein treatment. Olive oil is a really good pre-poo moisturizer too. Gotta have that protein/moisture balance.
From what you've written, it sounds like your breakage may be cause by your current style. Ponytails worn continuously can be damaging and gel can cause breakage due to how hard it can make your hair.
There are low to no manipulation styles that you can do with your own hair. Rollersets, braid outs, and twistouts were a Godsend for me when I was relaxed. These styles can last for at least 7 days and they don't need a bunch of products that can weigh your hair down nor do they put stress on any part of your head. Try low to no manipulation styles on your loose hair and see if that helps with the breakage and shedding. Good luck. I really hope you don't have to chop it all off.

HERicane10 said:
eastwestbazaar.com is pretty good ($12 for S&H up to 11lbs):look:
Also try ebay! Do you have a patel brothers in your area. Do a google

Will check it out! Thanks!

cheetarah1980 said:
I'm sorry to hear about your breakage. When I was relaxed I went through a couple of bouts with breakage. Sometimes I cut it off, others I was able to get my hair back to a healthy place.
I don't know if you need to buy all new products. Actually you can do a lot of treatments with ingredients you have in your house. You can use eggs and mayonaise for a protein treatment. Olive oil is a really good pre-poo moisturizer too. Gotta have that protein/moisture balance.
From what you've written, it sounds like your breakage may be cause by your current style. Ponytails worn continuously can be damaging and gel can cause breakage due to how hard it can make your hair.
There are low to no manipulation styles that you can do with your own hair. Rollersets, braid outs, and twistouts were a Godsend for me when I was relaxed. These styles can last for at least 7 days and they don't need a bunch of products that can weigh your hair down nor do they put stress on any part of your head. Try low to no manipulation styles on your loose hair and see if that helps with the breakage and shedding. Good luck. I really hope you don't have to chop it all off.

1st-love your name!!

2nd, I hate dealing with my hair when it starts getting warm. But I guess I should try it.

So yesterday I bought the Porosity Control Shampoo and Condition. They didn't have the Extreme Pak, but they had something else that came in the same size bottle (maybe the Mendex?). Should I get that too?

I think eventually, I'm gonna try out the Crown and Glory method with braids/etc, but I don't want to do that, have a lot of growth and then lose it cause my hair's still damaged. So I guess I'll try some of the methods you guys mentioned first and see if I can't fix the problem, then take it from there.

I'm so glad to hear your optimistic side. ;) Good 4 U! Don't give up on all your work so easily, mami. You gotta go down fighting!:look: :lol:

HERicane10 said:
I'm so glad to hear your optimistic side. ;) Good 4 U! Don't give up on all your work so easily, mami. You gotta go down fighting!:look: :lol:

LOL for real.

The parts of my hair that are still in tact are actually pretty long, well longer than it's ever been, so I'm really hoping to salvage the rest.

MzLady78 not sure if this was mentioned already, and you've probably found some resolution by now but that phony pony is your culprit. I used to wear that kind where you wrap the weave around your hair and I knew because I had a layer of broken hairs, they seemed to all be broken at around the same place from sides front and back, I stretched the strands that were breaking off and they all seemed to meet at that point in my head where the pony was. My hair really took off when I let it be free more. Good luck to you!

Back