My hair just keeps on breaking :( HELP!

didismirage4

Okay. First I was cowashing every day which had breakage but little. The problem I had with that was finding was keeping moisture in my hair. Olive oil and jojoba oil just sit on it. Oils don't do so well in my hair. So I incorporated a protein conditioner (Organix coconut conditioner) and saw my hair responded great. My hair is easily over moisturized and will turn into a mush from baggies. The moisture condish that it loves is Herbal Essences Hydralicious.

Well I tried an egg/little bit of olive oil treatment last week and my hair was GREAT! It didn't break at all throughout the wash. I DC'd after with Pureology (I have permanent red color). Then I sectioned it off, put a little Hydralicious and for the first time, tried to seal it with shea butter. I braid it in about 6-8 braids and then undo them right before I leave the house. Result was amazing!! I didn't have to cowash everyday (which I do bc I have no talent in styling and the lady who did my color also cut off inches :() and I had a really soft, bouncy curly afro.

Fast forward to today. I do the egg treatment again, wash it out. Breakage city! Even after I DC'd, my hair seemed to be turning back to mush again (getting overmoisturized). I didn't know what to do so I mixed some Organix and NTM Leave In (first time trying this product) and sealed again with shea butter.

I transitioned for 14 months and I will admit, I wasn't the best at DC'ing and being diligent about taking care of my natural hair underneath the braids/sew-ins, and then I colored it right after I took everything out. Complicating things, I have multiple textures on my head so I have to treat each section differently in terms of moisture/protein balance. The top, back, front, and sides are all different. The smallest curls are in the back and get looser as they progress up, with the loosest (which are actually waves) on top.:wallbash:

Please help me, I don't want to see all my hard work go down the drain :(

Here is a link to my hair album on facebook since I haven't created a fotki or blog yet:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2017039&id=18700346&l=c8d6254b7e

My best guess is that you have a porosity problem.

Try an acv rinse or porosity control condish :yep:

Yep, they should be fine on color treated hair.

They may even help keep the color more vibrant because they shut the cuticle down tighter.

It sounds like to much protien.......the egg your using is considered protein and to do it 2 weeks in a row may be too much imo. I would save the protien for once a month. Try reading the other products ur using with the egg to see if there is protien in that as well and try products with more moisture. HTH

Thank you so much, I will try this either Wednesday or Thursday!! :) :)

I hope it helps! :)

Also, Tayw29 has a point. I thought it might be too much at first protein too. Just be careful you don't overdo it with the protein! Egg is strong treatment, most people use it once or twice a month.

but I really think it's your porosity because you say your hair is mushy. Protein overloaded hair gets hard and brittle, not mushy. Good luck dealing with this!

Back