My hair routine

RedButterfly

A few people asked about my hair routine. I will post it here.

Hair type - Wavy/Curly - Somewhere between Type 2 and Type 3 (Similar to Ananda Lewis' hair)Fine textured

Length - Midback length - 25 inches

Current routine:
I wash my hair weekly. Varies between 5-7 days depending on how busy I am.

1. I massage my scalp and thoroughly brush it with a Mason Pearson boar bristle/nylon mixed brush.

2. I always give myself a preshampoo treatment with either warm olive oil or an Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Treatment.

3. I wash my hair with Redken Colorextend shampoo and follow with Redken Colorextend conditioner. I detangle my hair with a Mason Pearson detangling comb while the conditioner is still in my hair.

4. I rinse my hair with cool water to seal the cuticle. This cool rinse helps give shine and make my hair easier to manage.

5. I spray on a leave-in conditioner - Thermasilk Light Conditioning Mist. I comb my hair gently to distribute the leave-in conditioner. I then apply Ultra Sheen Hair Food oil to my hair. Again I comb to distribute it.

6. I will either roller set my hair or braid it to dry it. Roller sets give my a those pretty retro hair styles. Braids give me the pretty Lord of the Rings elf waves. If I roller set, I apply Clairol Herbal Essences Styling Gel to my hair and set my hair on big plastic magnetic rollers and sit under a hood dryer for an hour. I maintain my roller set between washings by putting my hair in a high pony tail and using a silk scarf at night. If I braid my hair after washing for a curly look, I apply a smaller amount of gel and then gently and loosely braid my hair into two plaits. With braiding, I air dry my hair overnight.

7. Between washings, I moisturize my hair and care for it gently.

8. I scalp massage twice a day and detangle with my fingers and a wide-tooth comb.

9. I will brush my hair once a day to distribute oils through my hair and stimulate my scalp. I either use one of my Mason Pearson brushes (a pure bristle or the mixture) or my soft Phillips boar bristle brush.

10. I moisturize by applying either jojoba oil or Ultra Sheen Hair Food. I usually use Ultra Sheen Hair Food daily. Sometimes I skip oiling if my hair doesn't need it. I use the jojoba oil or another natural oil mixture once or twice a week, depending on my hair's need. Some good natural oil mixtures include Wiseways African Glory oil, Wiseways Goldilocks oil and Mountain Rose Herbs Secret Hair Oil.

11. I either sleep with a silk scarf on my head or on a satin pillow case to protect my hair at night.

Well that about covers my current routine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif