My hair seems like it isn't growing anymore

CoOLY_GyAL87

My hair seems like it isn\'t growing anymore

I'm mixed and I have really curly hair that I often with a hot comb. I recently trimmed my hair, and I feel like my beautician took off a lot, and I mean it was hard for me to see that because my hair takes awhile to grow back. I use Sebastian's 2 Plus 1 Reconstructor, which is cost $44 a bottle, and I haven't seen a difference in my hair. I just want some tips from you guys, cuz I want my hair to grow longer. <font color="blue"> </font>

Ayeshia

Re: My hair seems like it isn\'t growing anymore

The hot comb is your culprit!!!!!!! Plus the SHS didnt help with the situation either. However used the new trim ends as an advantage to give yourself a fresh start! Try doing heatless styles such as Braid outs and the forums fav style these days, Bantu knots. Moisture is key too!

Ayeshia

You may need to redevelop a regimen that works for you as well

CoOLY_GyAL87

I don't even know I feel so lost, thats why I need some help cuz I feel like beautician really isn't helping me out

blue_flower

Yeah! Stop the hot combing! If you want your hair straight, why not try a rollerset? Or try some styles that work with your curly texture like braid outs? Since you live in New York, I'm sure that there are plenty of Dominican Salons that you can go to if you still want your hair straight. You need to stay way from direct heat like hot combs, curling irons, flat irons, etc. There are some ladies on this board who've had the same problem as you, but when they stopped using the heat their hair grew long than before. What's your hair type and regimine by the way?

CoOLY_GyAL87

type 3, i really don't do much with my hair. I just normally wash it with creme of nature shampoo and put in the sebastian as a treatment. I normally just cornrow my hair with my own hair. I was thinking about putting in braids with weave, but i've never done that before and the african braiders around here braid toooooooo tight, i dont want to lose my edges

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
CoOLY_GyAL87 said:
type 3, i really don't do much with my hair. I just normally wash it with creme of nature shampoo and put in the sebastian as a treatment. I normally just cornrow my hair with my own hair. I was thinking about putting in braids with weave, but i've never done that before and the african braiders around here braid toooooooo tight, i dont want to lose my edges

[/ QUOTE ]

how often do you deep condition? moisturize? do you do protein treatments?

CoOLY_GyAL87

i often deep condition like every 2 weeks which is right after i wash my hair. I use some doogroo grease and i dont do any protein treatments. My hair often breaks a lot if I don't wash it after a week. I'm really tired of pressing my hair. I want to get normal wash and sets, but i wonder what can they really do for my hair.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!

Maybe you could try washing more often? Since I have been doing daily co washes my hair grows faster. Do you take any vitamins right now?

CoOLY_GyAL87

nope no vitamins, but its kind of hard to wash my hair like every week cuz I never have much time, and it takes a lot of time out of my schedule

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
CoOLY_GyAL87 said:
i often deep condition like every 2 weeks which is right after i wash my hair. I use some doogroo grease and i dont do any protein treatments. My hair often breaks a lot if I don't wash it after a week. I'm really tired of pressing my hair. I want to get normal wash and sets, but i wonder what can they really do for my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes frequent pressing is a no no if you want thick long hair. It sounds like you need to deep condtion once a week, find a moisturizer (water based) to use 2-3 times daily, and you need a protein conditioner to strengthen your hair (to help combat breakage, along with moiturizing).
You can benefit form wet sets. Theycan leave the hair just as st8 as a press minus the immense heat.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!

Ayeshia gave you some good tips. I would also start taking vitamins to help your hair growth especially the b vitamins...adding in B- Complex will take care of most of them...and you could add in a little extra Biotin to help too. Some people here that are not big on taking a lot of vitamins take a multi.

adrienne0914

ayeshia gave you some GREAT advice here!! most important, you need to eliminate alot of the heat. like she said, you should try to style your hair using no heat. wearing braidouts, cornrows or braids to avoid it, that will definitely help.

UmSumayyah

don't forget to clarify every so often as well.
Also, some people find that after awhile, Creme of Nature is not good for their hair.

Let me add what I find are the best LHCF basic tips:

1. Only use seamless combs on your hair (you can find them at http://www.tenderheaded.com , among other places)

2. Comb your hair starting at the ends, and start your detangling with a wide-toothed comb.

3. Sleep on silk/satin pillowcases and/or a satin sleep cap/scarf every night.

3. Wear your hair up most of the time, being sure to keep your ends moisturized and concealed in the rest of your hair.

4. Find a gentle shampoo, one without sodium or ammonium lauryl sulfates. Sodium laureth sulfate is gentler, sodium myreth sulfate is even better

5. Minimize the use of direct heat such as flat irons and hot combs. (maybe try to cut down to once a month), always use a heat protectant when using direct heat.

6. Many of us find that "hairgrease" (products that are mostly petroleum jelly or petrolatum) are best saved for moisturizing the ends prior to putting hair in an updo.

7. When washing your hair, use distilled water for the final rinse, esp. if you have hard water.

Really try to go for the wash and sets. Caramelhonee has a thread titled "I just did the most amaazing rollerset!" complete with diagrams. Try that if you want to do it at home.
And just keep reading the board, being sure to do searches for specific topics. We're here for you!

CoOLY_GyAL87

thankyou soooooooooo much, cuz my beautician doesnt really tell me anything, and I truly do need a lot help

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
don't forget to clarify every so often as well.
Also, some people find that after awhile, Creme of Nature is not good for their hair.

Let me add what I find are the best LHCF basic tips:

1. Only use seamless combs on your hair (you can find them at http://www.tenderheaded.com , among other places)

2. Comb your hair starting at the ends, and start your detangling with a wide-toothed comb.

3. Sleep on silk/satin pillowcases and/or a satin sleep cap/scarf every night.

3. Wear your hair up most of the time, being sure to keep your ends moisturized and concealed in the rest of your hair.

4. Find a gentle shampoo, one without sodium or ammonium lauryl sulfates. Sodium laureth sulfate is gentler, sodium myreth sulfate is even better

5. Minimize the use of direct heat such as flat irons and hot combs. (maybe try to cut down to once a month), always use a heat protectant when using direct heat.

6. Many of us find that "hairgrease" (products that are mostly petroleum jelly or petrolatum) are best saved for moisturizing the ends prior to putting hair in an updo.

7. When washing your hair, use distilled water for the final rinse, esp. if you have hard water.

Really try to go for the wash and sets. Caramelhonee has a thread titled "I just did the most amaazing rollerset!" complete with diagrams. Try that if you want to do it at home.
And just keep reading the board, being sure to do searches for specific topics. We're here for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent Advice