My Horrible Salon Visit

SherylsTresses

I tried holding it in but I cannot.

I went to the salon for a rollerset and flat iron my roots. My stylist told me that I couldn't get that style because I "have too much newgrowth"....??? :perplexed She did my last retouch and it turned out very well. This was only my second visit so I considered her "my stylist". As we proceeded to the shampoo bowl, I tried explaining politely that I had some products in my hair mixed with conditioner just in case she wondered about the smell. My prepoo consisted of conditioner, tea tree oil, peppermint oil and garlic powder. Yes I know!!!

She began to shampoo my hair and ladies, she made this comment. *Sigh* "You know these products ain't gone do nothing for yo hair." "If you have scalp problems, you can just use some tea tree shampoo." I told her that I'm using products I have at home but thank you. She laughed and called me a hair scientist. :ohwell: I replied that I peruse the internet for healthy hair tips and no I'm not a hair scientist.

After she rinsed my prepoo and shampoo, she sat me at a dryer and added a product to my hair in a piling motion which would guarantee tangles. Then she began detanging. Ladies, she detangled my hair with a fine tooth comb from root to end. As she yanked through my hair, my head yanked. I saw my hair in her hand as if she was trying to hide it. It looked about 4x the amount I normally lose. :blush: She then detangled with a detangling brush from root to end as she blow dried and it was rough. :sad: Need I mind you that I'm a female so I just can't get loud and obnoxious in public. I want to return to JCPenneys salon without other stylists refusing to do my hair. I was hot and boiling and I didn't want to act up on public. So I'm thinking to myself that this is the LAST time she'll ever see me in her chair again. Also, I'm a very generous tipper for good service. :yep:

I normally don't put heat on my hair but I didn't know what to expect anymore. After my shampoo, she sat me under the dryer to dry about 80%, then she blow dried, flat ironed and used hot curlers on my fine tresses. :blush: Now that's a big change from a rollerset and flat ironing my roots.

:wallbash: I wanted to get loud and ugly. I wanted to stop her when she was detangling with the fine tooth comb and just pay for what she did and leave. I wanted to detangle my hair myself. :wallbash:

Although my hair turned out nicely, :gorgeous: :Flahsssss I felt very abused. :dizzy: I know I lost a lot of hair with this stylist. I will baby my hair now for about a month. My plan was to go to the salon every 6 mos for a length check. But not to this stylist again. I know I'll NEVER return to her again, EVER. :angry2:

NorthernCalGal

It's hard to find a good stylist that will support us "hair scientists". I lucked out. Though she giggles, she doesn't go against my wishes. I brought in things, such as wide tooth combs because she was using a comb that was killing my new growth. I find the younger stylist are more open to "my special practices". I hate that your experience is bad, but I'm sure the right stylist is out there for you.

MrJohnsonsRib

Oh no!! that was just horrrific, just like you said. Why do folks insist on being terrible stylists? I need for the hair schools to get right so folks can learn how to do hair the right way, not the quick-you're-gonna-look-cute-when-I'm-done-honey!! crap. :( I hate when folks go through this , especially if they don't know any better cause they think it's normal to be abused.

BlondeByDesire

Wow, I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate to hear salon stories gone bad.

On the other hand you should have spoke up when she started the detangling session with a fine tooth comb. Did you tell her you were transitioning? Your hair is very fragile right now, especially at the line of decarmation. You are paying for her service, I would have fully explained to her prior to her hands entering my hair what I expected. There should have been a consultation of sorts between you and her. Did she use a heat protectant?

Lastly, she would not have gotten a tip.

Janet'

:imsorry: That sounds absolutely horrific!!! Once again, it goes to show that just because someone "does" hair, that does not mean that they are the "expert"...No one should ever make you feel guilty for doing what you know WORKS for YOUR head:sad: I'm sorry that you lost so much of your hair...perhaps, when she said that she couldn't give you what you wanted- that should've been your queue to walk out the door...Don't feel too bad though, you live and you learn and this was definitely a HAIR life lesson:ohwell:...Your hair is still beautiful, btw!

caramelma

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this with a stylist that you thought you knew. Sometimes its best to just do things yourself because some people can be so rude at times. I must admit that you did better than me because I would have left without paying her for anything or else I would have ended up doing this to her:boxing: lol.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Sorry to hear you went through this. I also have fine hair and am amazed at the lack of TLC I get from stylists when I get to the detangling stage. But like you, they often do things (like piling it on top of my head) that make it way worse than anything I do on a regular basis.

Nice & Wavy

I love my LHCF sisters, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing about how ya'll let these stylists comb your hair with a fine tooth comb, yanking your hair till your head goes back, using all kinds of heat and ya'll don't say nothing:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Y'ALL KNOW BETTER:nono:

Ok...sorry for the rant in your thread, but I'm angry for you girl.

You can get tell them to stop, without yelling and acting ignorant.:yep:

Anyways...:bighug:, don't be mad at me, ok? :kiss:

PPGbubbles

:wallbash: I wanted to get loud and ugly. I wanted to stop her when she was detangling with the fine tooth comb and just pay for what she did and leave. I wanted to detangle my hair myself. :wallbash:

Although my hair turned out nicely, :gorgeous: :Flahsssss I felt very abused. :dizzy: I know I lost a lot of hair with this stylist. :angry2:

The bolded is exactly what you should have done if you did not want to speak up!

Never let someone recklesly pull out your tresses just to keep the peace. There are ways to politely let someone know that you do not want your hair handled that way!

You have a lovely head of hair which I am sure took some time to grow!

a careless stylst can ruin years of grow in a matter of minutes!!!!!

Please be more proactive next time OP :yep:

But now that thats over......do you have pics of the final result!?!

SherylsTresses

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this with a stylist that you thought you knew. Sometimes its best to just do things yourself because some people can be so rude at times. I must admit that you did better than me because I would have left without paying her for anything or else I would have ended up doing this to her:boxing: lol.

LMAO...!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

LushLox

Wow what a horrible experience! Well that's one lost customer for her, way to go! :rolleyes: I'm surprised she didn't talk about cutting your hair!

Your hair still looks lovely though!

ceebee3

That sucks, I'm sorry that happened.

I had to learn the hard way to speak up. I'm also not comfortable with confrontation but after this, I'm sure you won't let anyone do that to your hair again.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Sheryl, this is exactly why i stopped frequenting salons. They are too rough. I hate having to explain everything in minute details...it's just too much stress. So, I carve out some time and do it myself. I REALLY like other people to do my hair, but I'm trying to save every strand i've got, and i'm not gonna let them rip out 3 years of work in one salon visit.

H*## No!

foxee

I love my LHCF sisters, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing about how ya'll let these stylists comb your hair with a fine tooth comb, yanking your hair till your head goes back, using all kinds of heat and ya'll don't say nothing:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Y'ALL KNOW BETTER:nono:

I agree. There's nothing wrong with saying, "You know what? I've changed my mind", paying for the service and then leaving without explanation. No need to cause a scene. I should know. I "suffered in silence" more than once and regretted it each and every time. Don't worry about what the stylist will think. You wouldn't be the first woman in history to leave a salon with a wet head.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. ((((((hugs))))))

Rikku

lol wow she seems like she had a nasty attitude from the start, I wouldn't sit and listen to some stylist and their nasty attitude, since alot of them are pretty petty. -.-

SherylsTresses

Wow, I'm sorry this happened to you. I hate to hear salon stories gone bad.

On the other hand you should have spoke up when she started the detangling session with a fine tooth comb. Did you tell her you were transitioning? Your hair is very fragile right now, especially at the line of decarmation. You are paying for her service, I would have fully explained to her prior to her hands entering my hair what I expected. There should have been a consultation of sorts between you and her. Did she use a heat protectant?

Lastly, she would not have gotten a tip.

Yes, she knew I was transitioning which was why I wanted my roots flat ironed. She did used a heat protectant. One would assume a stylist knows how to handle transitioning hair. No....?

SherylsTresses

The bolded is exactly what you should have done if you did not want to speak up!

Never let someone recklesly pull out your tresses just to keep the peace. There are ways to politely let someone know that you do not want your hair handled that way!

You have a lovely head of hair which I am sure took some time to grow!

a careless stylst can ruin years of grow in a matter of minutes!!!!!

Please be more proactive next time OP :yep:

But now that thats over......do you have pics of the final result!?!

Ppg0069, my pic in my siggy is from my salon visit.

coconow2007

When it comes to the health of ur hair sometimes u have to speak up that does not mean u r less of a lady but u become a lady who voices her concerns and is clear about what she wants.

SherylsTresses

When it comes to the health of ur hair sometimes u have to speak up that does not mean u r less of a lady but u become a lady who voices her concerns and is clear about what she wants.

I totally agree. I just wanted to be sure I could return to JCPenneys Salon and see a different stylist without any problems.

SherylsTresses

:imsorry: That sounds absolutely horrific!!! Once again, it goes to show that just because someone "does" hair, that does not mean that they are the "expert"...No one should ever make you feel guilty for doing what you know WORKS for YOUR head:sad: I'm sorry that you lost so much of your hair...perhaps, when she said that she couldn't give you what you wanted- that should've been your queue to walk out the door...Don't feel too bad though, you live and you learn and this was definitely a HAIR life lesson:ohwell:...Your hair is still beautiful, btw!

I totally agree! IMO a stylist is someone who styles the hair.

MsLizziA

LMAO...!!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
A lot of stylist HATE for you to tell them stuff... that's why i don't go to them.

My aunt is my stylist and has been since i was a kid. If i introduce her to new things, she is very open to her. Girl you better than me because i would have gone clean off on this lady. I agree with EVERYTHING the women in this thread have said. You shoulda spoke up for yourself....

As for me... i woulda walked clean outta that place cuz that is ridiculous

*CherryPie*

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling sympathetic in this situation.

You sat there and let her tear your hair out, being fully aware of what was happening, and didn't say a word. And it was just so you can look, and behave like a lady.

Who cares what I look like!?!? When someone's doing something to me that I don't like, believe me, I'm gonna speak up!

Loud and clear!

Speak up for yourself! If you don't, WHO WILL?

brownelovely

I went to the salon for a rollerset and flat iron my roots. My stylist told me that I couldn't get that style because I "have too much newgrowth"....??? :perplexed She did my last retouch and it turned out very well. This was only my second visit so I considered her "my stylist". As we proceeded to the shampoo bowl, I tried explaining politely that I had some products in my hair mixed with conditioner just in case she wondered about the smell. My prepoo consisted of conditioner, tea tree oil, peppermint oil and garlic powder. Yes I know!!!

She began to shampoo my hair and ladies, she made this comment. *Sigh* "You know these products ain't gone do nothing for yo hair." "If you have scalp problems, you can just use some tea tree shampoo." I told her that I'm using products I have at home but thank you. She laughed and called me a hair scientist. :ohwell: I replied that I peruse the internet for healthy hair tips and no I'm not a hair scientist.

That would have been my cue to leave and never return. :yep:

Not directed towards you OP

But really...how many of these salon visits gone wrong threads do we need before we learn that WE control what stylists do to our heads. They can't tear up our hair unless we sit there and let them. Start raising your standards!!!!

If their attitude sucks, leave.

If they say you can't care for your hair better than them, leave.

If they say something insulting, let them know and leave.

OP I really hope you get your hair back into a healthier state! I know you will and don't ever tolerate another stylist calling you a hair scientist and laughing at you :ohwell:. There are some bad stylists out there and she definitely is one of them.

SherylsTresses

I'm sorry but I'm not feeling sympathetic in this situation.

You sat there and let her tear your hair out, being fully aware of what was happening, and didn't say a word. And it was just so you can look, and behave like a lady.

Who cares what I look like!?!? When someone's doing something to me that I don't like, believe me, I'm gonna speak up!

Loud and clear!

Speak up for yourself! If you don't, WHO WILL?

CherryPie I do appreciate your response. I want to make sure that I can revisit the salon and see a different stylist without any of them having reservation about me. As the other ladies said, yes I should've spoken up assertively but I was far too infuriated and didn't want to cause a scene. DH and I had plans for that Valentines night and I wanted to get my hair done. Instead of causing a scene in public, I will always be sure to respond using my logical mind instead of my overly emotional mind.

brownelovely

CherryPie I do appreciate your response. I want to make sure that I can revisit the salon and see a different stylist without any of them having reservation about me. As the other ladies said, yes I should've spoken up assertively but I was far too infuriated and didn't want to cause a scene. DH and I had plans for that Valentines night and I wanted to get my hair done. Instead of causing a scene in public, I will always be sure to respond using my logical mind instead of my overly emotional mind.

I understand your point because I did that before as well when I went to JC Penney. That lady jacked up my sew-in :wallbash: but she did my moms hair so I didn't want to cause a major scene like I wanted to.

That happened years ago so I'm know I wouldn't be like that today :lachen:

beans4reezy

Sorry to hear about your experience Sheryl. A lot of times, these stylists think they know about hair care when in fact, they know about styling the hair and not truly caring fot it.

SherylsTresses

I understand your point because I did that before as well when I went to JC Penney. That lady jacked up my sew-in :wallbash: but she did my moms hair so I didn't want to cause a major scene like I wanted to.

That happened years ago so I'm know I wouldn't be like that today :lachen:

My point exactly. We can be assertive without being loud and obnoxious.

silenttullip

Take the scientist statement as a compliment. I'm sorry about the rest of it but for the fine tooth comb part I wouldn't have gotten ugly but I would have said "can you use a wider tooth comb or just the detangling comb" sometimes we as clients don't feel we have the right to tell the "stylist" how to do their job which is true BUT we have a right to tell them how to properly service us.
Situations like this is one reason why even when my so asks if I just want to see a stylist I'm like uh no. I'd love to have a trustworthy male or female who could handle my hair with the same or more tlc than I do but it's not likely, and I don't know why. I hope your hair is alright after the incident.

SherylsTresses

Take the scientist statement as a compliment. I'm sorry about the rest of it but for the fine tooth comb part I wouldn't have gotten ugly but I would have said "can you use a wider tooth comb or just the detangling comb" sometimes we as clients don't feel we have the right to tell the "stylist" how to do their job which is true BUT we have a right to tell them how to properly service us.
Situations like this is one reason why even when my so asks if I just want to see a stylist I'm like uh no. I'd love to have a trustworthy male or female who could handle my hair with the same or more tlc than I do but it's not likely, and I don't know why. I hope your hair is alright after the incident.

I totally agree as why I am a DIYer. My reasons for going to the salon were (in order):
1. DH complains about how long it takes me to do my hair
2. Length check
3. Valentines Day