My kitchen WILL NOT get straight. Not even the LEAST bit

Innocent_Kiss

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl, I'm talmbout, immediately after washing out my relaxer (and of course going through the proper steps) my kitchen will air dry and then laugh dramatically at the relaxer :lol: I have a sew in, so I'll touch up my leave-out and edges. Everything else will be fine, but my kitchen won't get even the least bit straight.

I usually just grab the relaxer with Keyshia Cole/Megan Good on the front. The rest of my head is natural. I'm going to back to ORS Regular Relaxer.

IDK maybe I need to leave it on longer and really work it in. I'm not sure if it's more funny or frustrating -- but I want to wear my sew-ins up in a high ponytail sometimes and my kitchen just aint goin...

faithVA

Are you letting it airdry unstretched? Maybe it's just a different texture and needs to dry stretched.

I don't care how my hair was relaxed, if was left to air dry it would turn into an afro.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
What faith said.

Also, mine would act funny when it became overprocessed just as you described.

faithVA

Erm.. what on earth is kitchen haha?
In England thats just where you prep food!

It is what some people call the nape hair. I don't know why it is called that. You just knew that you better bend your head down before they burned you with the straightening comb :lol:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I will be the random poster and say I wish my nape didn't take with relaxers.

Reason being...my nape was never long enough to reach my ponytail. After a 6 month stretch my nape finally made it into my ponytail. NO MORE BUCKSHOTS

Now when I relax my hair...i'm always terrified that my kitchen will slowly break off or become thinner and shorter.

NaiyaAi

My nape doesn't take either! DarkJoy you said your hair would do this when it was overprocessed? I thought mine was just underprocessed because I would leave the relaxer on for a really short time in that area, but that's interesting.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yea NaiyaAi. I think it would get overlapped too much and essentially, the hair got fried and became useless. It wouldn't straighten with heat either. The stylist would compound it thinking it was just 'resistant' and run the relaxer through then flat iron it extra hot and just make it worse! Argh!

NIN4eva

I will be the random poster and say I wish my nape didn't take with relaxers.

Reason being...my nape was never long enough to reach my ponytail. After a 6 month stretch my nape finally made it into my ponytail. NO MORE BUCKSHOTS

Now when I relax my hair...i'm always terrified that my kitchen will slowly break off or become thinner and shorter.

This is what eventually happened to me and one of the reasons why I've just chopped from past APL to CBL. After trying all sorts of combinations and techniques to relax my nape I've decided to just not do it. I'm a 4c-b all over but my nape is like a 3c-b! I just put a little mesh roller on that bad boy after I wash or cowash. It dries really quickly and I airdry the rest of the hair. Since it's usually dry before the rest of may hair, I just take the roller out and wrap it with the rest.

In the beginning I thought it was overprocessed as well, and it probably was. But the overprocessed texture and natural texture are the same in my nape, so there's no point in relaxing it if any kind of relaxer strength or technique is just going to leave it looking the same. :ohwell:

Last edited: