My long,beautiful, thin hair!!

ChocalateDiva

Im so hurt right now. :sad:

I decided to get a sew in a few days before Thanksgiving to give my hair a rest for awhile.

I did everything that I was supposed to do.

I treated my hair with a light protien and moisture for strength before the sew in.
I ask her not to braid it too tightly.
I washed my hair every two weeks.
I moisturized every other day.
During the take down I was slow and gentle with the detangling.........I STILL LOST SOOOOOOOO MUCH HAIR!!!!!!!!!:wallbash:

And they were not shed hairs either! There was a lot of short broken hair that were half the length of my hair.

I waited 2 weeks before relaxing. Today is the two week mark. I gave myself a protein treatment last week in preparation for the relaxer today.

Ladies, I truly believe that I lost half of my thickness. I was a lil bit past APL before the sewin. I am under the dryer now and I will be going to Great Clips to get my hair cut in an hour or so..........its a sad day...:ohwell:

I have 4A or 4B hair, but its fine. I am thinking that the stress from the braidling/weaving was too much for my fine strands.

Any thoughts and what could have happened?

Last edited:
I think relaxed hair is under more stress under a weave than natural hair as it can get much drier and just snap. When I look at all the women who have success with weaves they are natural.

I know I will be chopping off my relaxed ends as I go (I am using a weave to transition) so I am prepared for this. That said my last take down was ok and I didn't loose too much hair. I did however do a Aphogee 2 step and HUGE DC with 1 hour under the steamer before the weave.

I think relaxed hair is under more stress under a weave than natural hair as it can get much drier and just snap. When I look at all the women who have success with weaves they are natural.

I know I will be chopping off my relaxed ends as I go (I am using a weave to transition) so I am prepared for this. That said my last take down was ok and I didn't loose too much hair. I did however do a Aphogee 2 step and HUGE DC with 1 hour under the steamer before the weave.

You may very well be right, in regard to the bolded. As I was undoing the braids, even tho I was super gentle.........the hair was just brittle and I could feel some snapping.

On a lighter note!!! I gonna get my hair cut today and get back to my regimen and my hair will be back in no time. I did have bout 2 inches of thick new growth!!

I am so sorry this happened to you CD. The same happened to me with weaves and I am 4a/b as well. Sometimes I wonder if the thread chokes your strands-if that makes any sense.

I am so sorry this happened to you CD. The same happened to me with weaves and I am 4a/b as well. Sometimes I wonder if the thread chokes your strands-if that makes any sense.

Thread chocking strands. That is an interesting concept.:yep: and it makes sense to me.

On a lighter note!!! I gonna get my hair cut today and get back to my regimen and my hair will be back in no time. I did have bout 2 inches of thick new growth!!

Sorry CDiva!
How long before the install did u get ur last relaxer? Did u stretch before u put the weave in?

aww im sorry to hear that! when I was relaxed and wore sew ins I was very careful about detangling.. i found that helped to save alot of hairs

I am sorry to hear about this OP...I hope you don't have to cut much.
Maybe you should hold oof on relaxing and maybe do a longer stretch?

Sorry to hear this.:sad: What was the braid pattern underneath the weave? I find that circular patterns tend to put too much stress on the hair especially if you have fine strands.

Sorry to hear this.:sad: What was the braid pattern underneath the weave? I find that circular patterns tend to put too much stress on the hair especially if you have fine strands.
Thanks for this advice. Which type of braid pattern would you recommend for fine hair? (I'm considering a swe-in, but I'm scared of breakage.)

Sorry to hear about your hair, OP. :( I hope you have a speedy recovery.

oh wow, im sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you, OP.

-what did you use to moisturize?
-did you moisturize really well, for real, for real?

i know some like to remain relaxed for weaves, but I always suggest people hold off on perms for braids/weaves because of dryness. If you get a relaxer right before the install and use that to stretch, only your new growth will be thick, not your hair. I say wait a few days, your hair is just tired.

Hold off on the relaxer and just deep condition a couple more times and your hair will bounce back.

Same thing happened to me. I've switched over to half-wigs from now on because of it. I did this back in 2006 before I found LHCF and my hair thrived.

oh wow, im sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you, OP.

-what did you use to moisturize?
-did you moisturize really well, for real, for real?

i know some like to remain relaxed for weaves, but I always suggest people hold off on perms for braids/weaves because of dryness. If you get a relaxer right before the install and use that to stretch, only your new growth will be thick, not your hair. I say wait a few days, your hair is just tired.

Hold off on the relaxer and just deep condition a couple more times and your hair will bounce back.

Thanks for the info. I already relaxed today. I thought that I was moisturizing well. The hair was greasy when I took the braids out, but still dry and brittle.

Last edited:
Thanks for this advice. Which type of braid pattern would you recommend for fine hair? (I'm considering a swe-in, but I'm scared of breakage.)

Sorry to hear about your hair, OP. :( I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Cornrows straight back with the ends of each braid braided into the adjacent braid gives a smooth look and virtually no breakage (in my experience). Circular patterns are a big no-no.

Sometimes a lot of ng will make your relaxed ends look very thin so it may not be as bad as you think.

I hear a lot of people get good growth with weaves and then I hear about others that say their hair thinned out with them, not sure why.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've always wondered about the type of thread used in weaves. When I use to get weaves I never took notice of the thread. There are different types of thread like cotton, nylon and a combination of both. I wonder if it makes a difference in keeping the hair healthy.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I've always wondered about the type of thread used in weaves. When I use to get weaves I never took notice of the thread. There are different types of thread like cotton, nylon and a combination of both. I wonder if it makes a difference in keeping the hair healthy.

Interesting thought.

I'll hold off from advice until your hair is finished. But perhaps it was too long a stretch, your hair needed more protein before you went into the sew in or a combination of that. I don't do light proteins, especially when stretching for more than 8 weeks. I do a medium to hard protein. You can find light proteins in a lot of conditioners and your hair probably needed more than that.

What did you moisturize with?

I am sorry this happened to you. I hope it is just NG making it look thinner.

My hair does well in sew ins even when it was relaxed. I think what helped me was not relaxing so soon. I would wait 3-4 weeks before relaxing. That way my hair could really get use to being back to itself.

Maybe next time you can try half wigs. That may work better. You can still have the braids underneath. Or you can add braid hair to your hair under the sew in. that works for some.

I have had GREAT success with weaves AND i am relaxed BUT i self install so i do a hard protein before, and i braid myself so i am careful how I braid sometimes it is the braid process that causes breakage i.e rough when braiding,pulling to much. I also used a net when i did it so the hair was sewn onto the net and not my hair

sorry this happened AND try to avoid relaxing right after removing your weave do another protien followed by a moist. conditioner then a low manipulation style bun. braid/twist out

ps i sprayed my hair lightly every night one night aphogee pro vit leave in the next elasta qp h2o moist leave in to keep a little balance and for strength

Last edited:
After my hair dried it wasnt as bad as I thought it was. I lost so much hair, I am truly surprised that its not worse. I cut 2 inches off. I will post pics tomoorrow, if I can remember to get some batteries for my camera.

i have never had a sew in so i have no clue however i am sorry to hear that happened to you and like you said it should be back in no time! happy growing!!

Back