My NATURAL HAIR WON'T STAY BRAIDED!

Beautytalk69

I'm really at the point of straight frustration. When I had a relaxer and I would braid my hair..it would last quite a while. When I first BCed I thought the reason my hair would frizz up in braids was because my hair was short. Now that I have a little bit of length (I think chin level hair is enough to braid) my hair is still a hot fuzzy mess in braids. So then I decided to add extensions..something. Now I have twist..and it's even worse. I'm really upset because I want this to be my protective style..but if I can't keep it presentable it would be a no go. Btw..I've been braiding hair for about ten years now..I don't think it's my skills (or lack of). None of the ladies that I have braided in the past have had this issue. I think I was just "blessed" with unbraidable hair.:ohwell:

faithVA

When I first BCed I thought the reason my hair would frizz up in braids was because my hair was short. Now that I have a little bit of length (I think chin level hair is enough to braid) my hair is still a hot fuzzy mess in braids.

I have this too. My braids look a month old after 7 to 10 days. I have seen people who have had their braids in for almost 2 months that looked fresher than mine. Hopefully, you can get some answers that will help.

I find that the softer and more moisturized my hair the more it frizzes. When my hair is dry and hard it looks perfect. :ohwell:

What is your braiding regimen?

How soon after you braid it does it start to frizz?

Beautytalk69

It depends if I'm adding hair or just braiding my own.
If it's with a weave I make sure i deep condition before. I just apply a little bit of leave in and start braiding.
If its with my own hair..I just braid it as is.

Girl my extension braid frizz within two weeks..my twist within days. I give up on the braids..think I'm going to do sew ins or wigs. (BUT I LOVE BRAIDS).

Iluvsmuhgrass

I find that the softer and more moisturized my hair the more it frizzes. When my hair is dry and hard it looks perfect. :ohwell:

Same here... and since I'm not a huge fan of using alot of styling products I mainly do different types of "out" styled on wet/damp hair. I did my twists and they looked decent for few days... then it starts to look a fuzzy wreck. But at least it's soft. :look:

Beautytalk69

Same here... and since I'm not a huge fan of using alot of styling products I mainly do different types of "out" styled on wet/damp hair. I did my twists and they looked decent for few days... then it starts to look a fuzzy wreck. But at least it's soft. :look:

This is the one time soft hair isn't the business..lol. I just refuse to use less conditioner because I want my hair style to "stay". I just hope someone has a solution.

faithVA

I have the same issue with both braids and twists. I think there are a few of us with this problem but I think most stay quiet out of frustration.

I don't have an answer for you but I think about it this every week. Some peoples hair seems to hang down when it gets wet. But I think my hair acts more like a sponge and puffs and shrinks as it gets moisture which either causes the fuzz or looks like fuzz.

I've read a lot on this board about it but I haven't found a workable solution yet. But I will be working on it.

ajargon02

IDK, As a natural, I really don't have this issue, unless I co-wash while in twists. Even at that, I seal with cool water, and use my pH bal leave-in, and the frizz isn't too bad, but then again, I don't mind it. When it gets "too" frizzy ( I wash/redo hair weekly unless I am in braids without extensions) then I will put my hair in a bun. IDK, this isn't really an issue for me. I think that doing things to seal the cuticle and my leave-in help. I also spritz my hair with water, and let the steam get to it with water......

Sorry I'm not much help!

Dreamer48

How do you protect your hair at night? I love to have my hair in twists, but I have the same problem you do. I normally wear a stocking cap or satin wrap with my twists loose when I go to sleep, but my hair ends up being fuzzy by day 3. This Sunday I decided to put small twists in my hair (using my own hair). At night I put some leave-in conditioner and shea butter on my hair. I pull my twists back into a single braid and used bobby pins to keep the sides in place. I then used a satin hair wrap. It's day 4 and my twists are still looking fresh.

bride91501

I don't know if this applies to your situation, but I used to have this same problem with my oldest DD.

NO matter how small I did her cornrows, twists or braids, no matter how well she tied her hair up at night, a few days later, her hair would be so frizzy, as if the style was weeks old and not 2-3 days old :perplexed. I knew it wasn't my braiding technique (or lack thereof) because my 2 other DDs styles would last for 2-3 weeks at a time with no issues at all.

When I joined the board last year and started my HHJ, I finally figured out why this was happening. It was because she had a bunch of shorter, broken hairs all over her head, and these hairs would easily slip out of the cornrows or braids creating "frizz" after a few days. She has ALOT of hair, I mean enough for 3 or 4 people lol, so I could never see these individual, short, broken hairs, but they were definitely there. Despite the huge volume of hair she has, it is VERY fine, and it really was crying out desperately for protein.

Since I started incorporating protein into her reggie, she rarely experiences breakage anymore and she's retaining really well. As a result, her twists and braid styles are able to last longer while looking neater. She's actually been wearing 2 strand twists for nearly 2 weeks now- we NEVER could have done this a year ago!

HTH

faithVA

bride91501, how have you been incorporating protein into her regimen and how often do you do so.

I was using protein last year but my hair was really giving me a fit. So trying to figure out the balance has been crazy.

faithVA

How do you protect your hair at night? I love to have my hair in twists, but I have the same problem you do. I normally wear a stocking cap or satin wrap with my twists loose when I go to sleep, but my hair ends up being fuzzy by day 3. This Sunday I decided to put small twists in my hair (using my own hair). At night I put some leave-in conditioner and shea butter on my hair. I pull my twists back into a single braid and used bobby pins to keep the sides in place. I then used a satin hair wrap. It's day 4 and my twists are still looking fresh.

Dreamer48, What leav-in conditioner are you using?

Dreamer48

@Dreamer48, What leav-in conditioner are you using?

Um...it's not an actual leave-in conditioner. :hide:
I use Suave's Tropical Coconut conditioner on dry hair. I first started using it a month ago to get moisture without rinsing or misting my hair with water before braiding my hair up every night. It's been working for me, even on my twists :look:.

bride91501

bride91501, how have you been incorporating protein into her regimen and how often do you do so.

I was using protein last year but my hair was really giving me a fit. So trying to figure out the balance has been crazy.

faithVA - don't fret. It took me a while too, but we finally have a routine that works. Here's her reggie:

-Shampoo weekly or every 2 weeks with Jane Carter/ Condition with Mane & Tail
-Moisturize with Aphogee leave in (purple bottle) mixed lightly with ceramide oils/Seal with AOHC
-PS (braids, cornrows, twists, french braids) for 1-2 weeks
-M&S every other day or so
-DC with ORS every 2 weeks
-Aphogee 2 Step every 6 weeks

HTH

faithVA

Um...it's not an actual leave-in conditioner. :hide:
I use Suave's Tropical Coconut conditioner on dry hair. I first started using it a month ago to get moisture without rinsing or misting my hair with water before braiding my hair up every night. It's been working for me, even on my twists :look:.

Dreamer48, Girl you better duck. Getting me all excited about a leave-in. :lachen:

I'm just kidding. Ok thanks for the info. Can't seem to do the condish on my hair. When I sweat it rolls onto my scalp and burns like crazy. :nono:

faithVA

@faithVA - don't fret. It took me a while too, but we finally have a routine that works. Here's her reggie:

-Shampoo weekly or every 2 weeks with Jane Carter/ Condition with Mane & Tail
-Moisturize with Aphogee leave in (purple bottle) mixed lightly with ceramide oils/Seal with AOHC
-PS (braids, cornrows, twists, french braids) for 1-2 weeks
-M&S every other day or so
-DC with ORS every 2 weeks
-Aphogee 2 Step every 6 weeks

HTH

Thanks - that was helpful. I may try the Aphogee leave in. I do need a leave in. I may have my moisture/protein balance under control but its too early to tell. It's possible that I am still recovering from the breakage from last year.

CurlsBazillion

I hear wax is the best way to combat this issue. I've been considering using wax in the place of gel when my hair is straightened.

faithVA

I hear wax is the best way to combat this issue. I've been considering using wax in the place of gel when my hair is straightened.

I have been considering this too. I have a jar of honey wax that I bought to make a Miss Jessies substitute (which went terribly wrong). I have been afraid to try it. But as I am learning more about my hair I am thinking I will try it again.

There have been only 2 times I have had a style with no frizz.
1. The comb coils in my siggy - she used gel. I had those for a month.
2. I used water/glycerin and twisted with KCCC and it didn't frizz. I also didn't try to stretch my twists.

So ready to give the wax a try before I try another gel, especially the KCCC. But only going to try it on a small section of hair.

classychic1908

Have you tried using gel? My hair is super frizzy as well and gel keeps it in check. Ecostyler clear works really well for hold. I use it as I braid or twist on well moisturized hair, and periodically touch up any extra frizzies with a little bit.

I use wax on straightened hair to help with smoothness, but not on braids and twists, because I spray them to keep them moisturized. Extension braids get baggied at night.

Last edited:

faithVA

Have you tried using gel? My hair is super frizzy as well and gel keeps it in check. Ecostyler clear works really well for hold. I use it as I braid or twist on well moisturized hair, and periodically touch up any extra frizzies with a little bit.

I use wax on straightened hair to help with smoothness, but not on braids and twists, because I spray them to keep them moisturized. Extension braids get baggied at night.

classychic1908, so when you use the eco styler and you spray them to moisturize, do they get frizzy? or they hold up even with the spray?

CurlsBazillion

I have been considering this too. I have a jar of honey wax that I bought to make a Miss Jessies substitute (which went terribly wrong). I have been afraid to try it. But as I am learning more about my hair I am thinking I will try it again.

There have been only 2 times I have had a style with no frizz.
1. The comb coils in my siggy - she used gel. I had those for a month.
2. I used water/glycerin and twisted with KCCC and it didn't frizz. I also didn't try to stretch my twists.

So ready to give the wax a try before I try another gel, especially the KCCC. But only going to try it on a small section of hair.

@Beautytalk69 and faithVA
Oh yeah and I forgot to suggest avocado butter, was about to seal with my butter mix and was like oh snap:lol:. That stuff can smooth down my edges alone and I use it on my baby's hair also to smooth down her shorter sides and nape.

classychic1908

classychic1908, so when you use the eco styler and you spray them to moisturize, do they get frizzy? or they hold up even with the spray?

They hold up pretty well with the gel. Sometimes I still get a little frizz, that's why I use a little gel to touch up and smooth over the braids periodically. I don't usually have a major issue with frizz though, after using gel to set the braids or twists. I must say that I don't wash my hair while in twists and I limit the frequency of washing while in braids longterm. While in longterm braids, I clean my scalp with a cloth to stretch the need for a full wash. I also don't apply anything to my scalp.
I hope this wasn't more info than you were looking for. :grin:

faithVA

They hold up pretty well with the gel. Sometimes I still get a little frizz, that's why I use a little gel to touch up and smooth over the braids periodically. I don't usually have a major issue with frizz though, after using gel to set the braids or twists. I must say that I don't wash my hair while in twists and I limit the frequency of washing while in braids longterm. While in longterm braids, I clean my scalp with a cloth to stretch the need for a full wash. I also don't apply anything to my scalp.
I hope this wasn't more info than you were looking for. :grin:

It can never bee too much information :yep:. When I get some gel I will give this a try. Thanks much

MzSwift

Dreamer48-
I have the same issue and I have fine hair as well. IA that wax is very helpful when styling to make it last longer. I also braid on dry hair instead of doing it wet, it helps as well.
And Suave Tropical Coconut is one of my staples! My hair loves it!

Bride91501-
You rock! Thanks for sharing that. I used to do a weekly lite protein with each wash. I occasionally do a harder protein with full fat yogurt and eggs. I'm going to try doing those more frequently and see if there's a difference.

Taleah2009

I have the same issue with both braids and twists. I think there are a few of us with this problem but I think most stay quiet out of frustration.

I don't have an answer for you but I think about it this every week. Some peoples hair seems to hang down when it gets wet. But I think my hair acts more like a sponge and puffs and shrinks as it gets moisture which either causes the fuzz or looks like fuzz.

I've read a lot on this board about it but I haven't found a workable solution yet. But I will be working on it.

This is me too. my hair is soo soft. my twists look great for about 5-6 days. after that, they are a mess. and if i get them wet, they shrink up soo bad. i thought i wanted to wear twists for the summer, but they only last 2 weeks and it takes me at least 4 hours to do them, so i dont think they were worth it.

faithVA

This is me too. my hair is soo soft. my twists look great for about 5-6 days. after that, they are a mess. and if i get them wet, they shrink up soo bad. i thought i wanted to wear twists for the summer, but they only last 2 weeks and it takes me at least 4 hours to do them, so i dont think they were worth it.

I think 4 hours for a 2 week style is worth it especially if I would have to spend 10 to 20 minutes every night twisting it for a twist out. My hair isnt long enough to bun so I think its a good tradeoff.

Lady S

Are these box braids, cornrows, or both?

The only suggestions I can think of is gel or a styling cream. I know some people will combine them to soften up the gel but keep the hold.

The only probably with wax is that you have to make sure to wash it out well to prevent buildup. Same with the really thick, waxy pomades.