MY PASTOR SAYS TYE TRIBBETT IS THE DEVIL'S CHILD

Sui Topi

Breathe in and breathe out honey!

David didn't mind looking "foolish" in front of some folks because his praise was not for men but for God.

I encourage all to read 2 Samuel 6 which tells the story that beautifulisaunderstatment was talking about above. I just want to point out a few verses.

v14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

v15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

v16 And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

v20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

v21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play (celebrate) before the LORD.

So dancing (even wildly) and shouting are acceptable forms of expressing your love for the Lord. We as Christians have to be extremely careful when we want to comment on how someone is praising God. It is God that knows exactly where that person's heart is. [/B] Let's say, I see a man in church jumping and dancing wildly in praise and I think he looks absolutely foolish. I make up in my mind that I'm going to interrupt his praise, pull him over to the side and tell him how inappropriate and unnecessary his method of praise is and that he needs to calm it down and show some respect for the other people in God's house. I could only imagine the conviction I'd feel in my spirit if right before I'm about to confront the man, God opens up my spiritual eyes and I see angels all around this man dancing and jumping and having a praise party right along with him!

beautifulisaunderstatment, one of the key lessons that God taught me is that not every Christian is going to accept your praise, even if the praise is 100% sincere and God and His angels are loving every moment of it! So I say embrace the negro spiritual but also embrace other Holy Spirit annointed songs whether they are in a style of yesterday or in a style of today. As long as you know in your heart that your worship is pleasing God, then it does not matter what any human being says, even if that human being is a well-meaning Christian. People pleasing at the expense of God pleasing can break your spirit. I truly believe that there are many God-loving people who don't fulfill their divine calling not because of what the world did or said but because they listened to Christians tell them that their ministry was all wrong and that their methods of worship were all wrong instead of listening to what God told them to do.

I guess this in the end is really the key and what matters

cocoberry10

Umm you do know David danced so hard he danced out of his clothes right? His wife told him he was in the streets looking foolish even though it was for GOD... I aint know Tye had so many wives... This thread is full of them. :ohwell:

Lemme throw out my music and pull out my old negro spiritual book... Are any of those too wordly? Someone let me know.

:yep::yep::yep:

Caramela

The devil can "anoint" music, too.... (not saying that Tribbett is anointed by the devil). It was the devil's job in Heaven before he got kicked to the proverbial earthly curb because of his PRIDE and self-absorbed attitude.

Can someone please give me a biblical reference for this information? I hear people say it all the time, but I haven't come accross it in my studies as of yet...

PaperClip

Can someone please give me a biblical reference for this information? I hear people say it all the time, but I haven't come accross it in my studies as of yet...

We can explore this together....
So this is me thinking out loud....

1. Before Lucifer became satan/the devil, Lucifer was known as the "son of the morning" (Isaiah 14:12), an anointed cherub (Ezekiel 28:14) and then other verses in that chapter speak to how Lucifer had jewels in his body and "the workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created." (Ezekiel 28:13).

2. Gifts are given without repentence, yes? (Romans 11:29: "For God's gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call.]" (Amplified Bible)

3. So when the Lord God Almighty cast Lucifer out of heaven, his "gifts" were not separated from him, yes? Isaiah 14:12: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"

(Luke 10:18: And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.)

4. The giftings and talents that the Lord gives all of us to use for HIS pleasure, when the enemy is given (or I'll say "sees") an open door in a person (Job 2:2; Luke 22:3), the enemy can PERVERT those God-given gifts and talents for something evil.

It doesn't say that the Lord God removed those things (or the symbolism of such things, e.g., beauty, enticements, etc.) And because of Lucifer's role as a literal musical instrument, it appears that it is MUSIC (among other things) in which Lucifer/now satan intensely works through.

The enemy tries to work through any door he can...he's a predator.... and since music WAS his "speciality" in heaven, it seems that music is an intense area.... when music is used for good (worship unto the Lord), it's a beautiful thing. But when it's used for evil, it generates much evil....

Last edited:

Monilove122

Let's also realize that this is a conversation that has been going on for YEARS and it didn't start with Tye. Several people have pointed out that the origins of "ole school" (what some call Real or true) Gospel music is heavily rooted in blues music. Let's face it, the rhythymic beats that SURROUND gospel music (because it's the message that matters and is in my opinion no different than when a preacher is preaching and the appointed musician plays those few chords after every sentence preached to get folks worked up) are not the issue. The GOSPEL is the issue. There are many who have said that the word of God doesn't need to be doctored up but I beg to differ because the point is that it has to REACH to TOUCH. I don't know if some folks realize how many of our young folks are NOT coming to church so how and when are they supposed to hear the Word? Jesus himself preached outside of the synagogues so that whomever wanted to hear him could come without worrying about not being able to "get in" the door. And many churches are the same way today, if you aren't dressed a certain way, clap a certain way, praise a certain way, worship a certain way, you are hard pressed to get in the front door without being looked at and for someone who doesn't know God and is not saved that can be a turn off and they might never walk thru the doors again. We have to remember to look at Tye's music and other artists like him as a way to reach THAT particular audience, it's not always meant for us. I'd rather for them to be listening to Tye Tribbett and the Gospel Gangstaz than Young Jeezy and Soldier Boy!!!!!

I just don't get why there is always discussion about this....I forgot the name of this gospel rapper but he put it best when he asked how can we go to Puerto Rico to minister when you don't speak Spanish, China when you don't speak Chinese, or Japan when you don't speak Japanese? Hip-hop and the genres in which SURROUNDS the gospel we are speaking about is nothing more than a language and that's a language that older folks just don't understand.

My Mom LOVES quartet gospel, I enjoy more contemporary gospel, and my little cousin LOVES Tye and Kirk Franklin but are we not all listening to The Gospel? I often ask people who are so critical of this genre of music if they've ever really listened to an entire cd and not jus the songs they bump on the radio. Keeping in mind that Marvin Sapp (Never Would Have Made It) is played on every secular station in the nation right after a song about booty shaking so the fact that it's playing on secular stations or venues is not an argument.

But instead of being so critical let's understand the audience Tye reaches. They are not us...he said himself that he has a heart for young people and I have personally seen young people respond to his music and give their lives to God. I saw him in concert on TV and my, my, my...it's evident that he has a pure heart towards God and for the young people he's been called to minister to.

I don't know what his struggles are but I know he has some cause as someone else said every last one of us does but, I pray that he continues on the path he is on right now and will always be a soldier in the army of the Lord winning souls and fighting the good fight.

Amen!

Eisani

ITA, this is definitely true. But you know this now because you are saved. Many people don't know anything about the power of GOD. If a song with a nice "beat" or a catchy tune gets them through the church doors to come to know GOD and his power than I say so be it.

You made another point about music ushering you into the holy of holies. I agree with your sentiments but I want to share that Tye Tribbett's Victory album played a big part in helping me get through the separation from my husband last year and our subsequent divorce. I mean Israel played a part too but Tye made me feel strong and undefeated.

I also agree that a lot of the stuff we hear is commercial. But you have to look past all that and find the "ministry" in the music. Tye Tribbett, radical and all, definitely ministered to me when I needed it most.

Victory
I Want it All Back
Bless the Lord
Hallelujah to Your Name
Who Else but God
No Other Choice
Still Have Joy
Everything will be Alright

Mostly all of that CD spoke to me. I felt like every song helped me through my struggle.

Just my thoughts.

This actually made me tear up. For me, the end of '06, '07, and early part of '08 was pure hell on so many different levels from a number of tragic, horrible deaths to my illness that nearly cost me my eyesight and possibly my life. Tye's music was actually one of the tools I used to come out in one piece. I definitely have to have a balance of both traditional and some contermporary music but bottom line, all has to be annointed. When I had to go to court to testify to a murder I witnessed, Victory (Tye), I Am Not Forgotten (Israel) and Total Praise (Richard Smallwood) were alternately playing in my head. The judge, detectives and prosecutor were shocked at my composure when questioned by the defense who is infamous for being a cage rattler but I knew where my strength came from. When I got sick, I became angry with the devil when thinking about the happenings of the past year and how much I allowed to happen so I Want It All Back was my JOINT! When I was physically able to go to church again (still unable to drive because I couldn't see), I Still Have Joy is what played in the car on the way there and I was crying then just thinking about how many times God had spared my life in the span of little over 16 months. I could go on, and may give a full run down one of these days but this thread has really convicted me on some of my behavior lately. When I was up and back around, my pastor told me God didn't spare me for me to just come to church and sing in the choir, there was so much more I had been assigned to do. He just kept saying greater works, and I know that.

Back to the topic, Tye, like any other artist, has been predestined and assigned to reach certain people. I feel everyone may have a slightly different assignment, but it's all to work for a common goal. I couldn't see my daughter being "drawn" by The Mighty Clouds of Joy, but they aren't assigned to reach to her. Just like Tye may not be assigned to reach my grandmother. This is just an example because my 10 y/o loves her some Shirley Caesar :lachen:This doesn't mean the message has changed, just the way in which it's presented.

LivingDoll

Let's also realize that this is a conversation that has been going on for YEARS and it didn't start with Tye. Several people have pointed out that the origins of "ole school" (what some call Real or true) Gospel music is heavily rooted in blues music. Let's face it, the rhythymic beats that SURROUND gospel music (because it's the message that matters and is in my opinion no different than when a preacher is preaching and the appointed musician plays those few chords after every sentence preached to get folks worked up) are not the issue. The GOSPEL is the issue. There are many who have said that the word of God doesn't need to be doctored up but I beg to differ because the point is that it has to REACH to TOUCH. I don't know if some folks realize how many of our young folks are NOT coming to church so how and when are they supposed to hear the Word? Jesus himself preached outside of the synagogues so that whomever wanted to hear him could come without worrying about not being able to "get in" the door. And many churches are the same way today, if you aren't dressed a certain way, clap a certain way, praise a certain way, worship a certain way, you are hard pressed to get in the front door without being looked at and for someone who doesn't know God and is not saved that can be a turn off and they might never walk thru the doors again. We have to remember to look at Tye's music and other artists like him as a way to reach THAT particular audience, it's not always meant for us. I'd rather for them to be listening to Tye Tribbett and the Gospel Gangstaz than Young Jeezy and Soldier Boy!!!!!

I just don't get why there is always discussion about this....I forgot the name of this gospel rapper but he put it best when he asked how can we go to Puerto Rico to minister when you don't speak Spanish, China when you don't speak Chinese, or Japan when you don't speak Japanese? Hip-hop and the genres in which SURROUNDS the gospel we are speaking about is nothing more than a language and that's a language that older folks just don't understand.

My Mom LOVES quartet gospel, I enjoy more contemporary gospel, and my little cousin LOVES Tye and Kirk Franklin but are we not all listening to The Gospel? I often ask people who are so critical of this genre of music if they've ever really listened to an entire cd and not jus the songs they bump on the radio. Keeping in mind that Marvin Sapp (Never Would Have Made It) is played on every secular station in the nation right after a song about booty shaking so the fact that it's playing on secular stations or venues is not an argument.

But instead of being so critical let's understand the audience Tye reaches. They are not us...he said himself that he has a heart for young people and I have personally seen young people respond to his music and give their lives to God. I saw him in concert on TV and my, my, my...it's evident that he has a pure heart towards God and for the young people he's been called to minister to.

I don't know what his struggles are but I know he has some cause as someone else said every last one of us does but, I pray that he continues on the path he is on right now and will always be a soldier in the army of the Lord winning souls and fighting the good fight.

Amen!

Amen my sister!

Eisani

Monielove122, we must've posted almost simultaneously...we used the same example of contemporary and traditional.

kandake

This actually made me tear up. For me, the end of '06, '07, and early part of '08 was pure hell on so many different levels from a number of tragic, horrible deaths to my illness that nearly cost me my eyesight and possibly my life. Tye's music was actually one of the tools I used to come out in one piece. I definitely have to have a balance of both traditional and some contermporary music but bottom line, all has to be annointed. When I had to go to court to testify to a murder I witnessed, Victory (Tye), I Am Not Forgotten (Israel) and Total Praise (Richard Smallwood) were alternately playing in my head. The judge, detectives and prosecutor were shocked at my composure when questioned by the defense who is infamous for being a cage rattler but I knew where my strength came from. When I got sick, I became angry with the devil when thinking about the happenings of the past year and how much I allowed to happen so I Want It All Back was my JOINT! When I was physically able to go to church again (still unable to drive because I couldn't see), I Still Have Joy is what played in the car on the way there and I was crying then just thinking about how many times God had spared my life in the span of little over 16 months. I could go on, and may give a full run down one of these days but this thread has really convicted me on some of my behavior lately. When I was up and back around, my pastor told me God didn't spare me for me to just come to church and sing in the choir, there was so much more I had been assigned to do. He just kept saying greater works, and I know that.

Back to the topic, Tye, like any other artist, has been predestined and assigned to reach certain people. I feel everyone may have a slightly different assignment, but it's all to work for a common goal. I couldn't see my daughter being "drawn" by The Mighty Clouds of Joy, but they aren't assigned to reach to her. Just like Tye may not be assigned to reach my grandmother. This is just an example because my 10 y/o loves her some Shirley Caesar :lachen:This doesn't mean the message has changed, just the way in which it's presented.

Eisani, I got chills reading your post. I don't see how anyone could deny the anointing on this mans life after hearing about how his ministry has gotten people through the toughest and darkest time of their lives.

I agree with your thoughts on people being predestined/on assignment to reach certain people. This is evident in both of our situations.

It got me to thinking; you know how you go to church some days and you're like "man that just wasn't my word" but others are so excited because they felt like the pastor was speaking to them. Gospel music is the same way. If Tye's music ministry doesn't speak to you its okay, it just wasn't/isn't your word. But as for me and many others, his music has truly been a blessing.

crlsweetie912

Eisani, I got chills reading your post. I don't see how anyone could deny the anointing on this mans life after hearing about how his ministry has gotten people through the toughest and darkest time of their lives.

I agree with your thoughts on people being predestined/on assignment to reach certain people. This is evident in both of our situations.

It got me to thinking; you know how you go to church some days and you're like "man that just wasn't my word" but others are so excited because they felt like the pastor was speaking to them. Gospel music is the same way. If Tye's music ministry doesn't speak to you its okay, it just wasn't/isn't your word. But as for me and many others, his music has truly been a blessing.
The bolded is SOOO deep!

Xavier

His preaching has ministered to me just as much as his music. His lyrics are so straight forward...actually straight from the Word. I like the fact that he touches on a lot of topics that other artist tend to neglect.

crlsweetie912

His preaching has ministered to me just as much as his music. His lyrics are so straight forward...actually straight from the Word. I like the fact that he touches on a lot of topics that other artist tend to neglect.
Do you have the new CD, It's so wonderful! It's called Stand Out and the title track is GREAT!

PaperClip

Ok....

First of all, in the 19+ years I've been going to the SAME church, I have NEVER said that a word "wasn't for me". There is (or should be) always SOMETHING that a person can get out of a message...or song.... because that's the more important piece of the subject matter: WHAT is being said versus HOW it's being said.

ETA: There is (or should be) always SOMETHING that a person can get out of a/any message...or song.... WHEN IT IS ANOINTED!!! (put in red to salute the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST!)

10 years from now (or maybe sooner), Tye may get the same "criticism" that Fred Hammond got, or Rance Allen, or the Edwin Hawkins singers with "O Happy Day" and my fundamental point still stands: the Gospel of Jesus Christ does not not to be "tricked out" to attract anybody.

Again, for the good of the order, I am not saying that Tye is the devil or he's not anointed. What I am saying is that I hope Tye is "doing himself" for the love of the Lord and the Gospel... and further, I wonder how he would receive some of these DISMISSIVE ATTITUDES about his music, e.g., if it ain't for you, then it ain't for you.

The GOSPEL is for EVERYONE.

1 Corinthians 9: 19-23: "Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!"

Last edited:

PaperClip

Angel's advocate: Have you listened to (all) other artists and documented what has and has not been neglected?

Eisani

No one is denying the gospel is for everyone. What I'm taking from the posts is that the way in which it's presented does vary thus reaching different people. I don't see dismissive attitudes, I see it as just like most do on Sunday, what you take from the message may vary greatly from the person sitting next to you, depending on their past experiences, current situation, and spiritual maturity. There are a number of factors that could play a part. If someone comes to my church to teach on improving the relationship and communication between husband and wife, since I'm single, it's not intended for me-at least not in the context presented. This doesn't mean I don't take from the message or learn anything, I just wouldn't consider it something that applies to my life right now. Same thing w/music. I'm thinking that's what Kandi meant as well, but I don't like to make presumptions.

kandake

Ok....

First of all, in the 19+ years I've been going to the SAME church, I have NEVER said that a word "wasn't for me". There is (or should be) always SOMETHING that a person can get out of a message...or song.... because that's the more important piece of the subject matter: WHAT is being said versus HOW it's being said.

ETA: There is (or should be) always SOMETHING that a person can get out of a/any message...or song.... WHEN IT IS ANOINTED!!! (put in red to salute the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST!)

Well, for me I have left church thinking that a word wasn't for me simply because it didn't apply to my life, my issues, my concerns, my fears, my struggles, my sin etc. On the other hand that same word may directly relate to something some else is going through, their struggles, their fears, their issues, their sin etc. The sermon was their "word" because it was tailored made to reach them. Of course this happens both ways because there are many sermons I feel were tailored made just for me. It was my "word".

ETA: It is my prayer that Tye and others would handle dismissive attitudes the same way Jesus did. Brush it off and keep on doing the will of GOD.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Well, for me I have left church thinking that a word wasn't for me simply because it didn't apply to my life, my issues, my concerns, my fears, my struggles, my sin etc. On the other hand that same word may directly relate to something some else is going through, their struggles, their fears, their issues, their sin etc. The sermon was their "word" because it was tailored made to reach them. Of course this happens both ways because there are many sermons I feel were tailored made just for me. It was my "word".

ETA: It is my prayer that Tye and others would handle dismissive attitudes the same way Jesus did. Brush it off and keep on doing the will of GOD.

You just articulated the difference between the logos and the rhema word.

The logos word is for all of us... any (anointed) message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is going to be a blessing...is going to bring life. Romans 10:17 and Psalm 119 are two biblical points that demonstrate the blessing that comes from hearing the gospel, the Word of God...the logos word, be it preached, sung, read, etc.

A rhema word is that certain word, idea, concept that comes forth in an anointed message that speaks encouragement, insight as that message theme addresses specific issues that a person may be going through.

In either case, hearing the Word of God is going to be a blessing... it's never an issue of "well, that just wasn't for me"....

And with regard to the dismissive attitudes, I imagine that Tye wouldn't want to hear people say "If you don't like Tye's music, don't listen to it". And that's certainly NOT anything I would say to anyone about the Lord Jesus Christ.

kandake

You just articulated the difference between the logos and the rhema word.

The logos word is for all of us... any (anointed) message of the gospel of Jesus Christ is going to be a blessing...is going to bring life. Romans 10:17 and Psalm 119 are two biblical points that demonstrate the blessing that comes from hearing the gospel, the Word of God...the logos word, be it preached, sung, read, etc.

A rhema word is that certain word, idea, concept that comes forth in an anointed message that speaks encouragement, insight as that message theme addresses specific issues that a person may be going through.

In either case, hearing the Word of God is going to be a blessing... it's never an issue of "well, that just wasn't for me"....

And with regard to the dismissive attitudes, I imagine that Tye wouldn't want to hear people say "If you don't like Tye's music, don't listen to it". And that's certainly NOT anything I would say to anyone about the Lord Jesus Christ.

IA with what you are saying about the rhema and logos word. Maybe I'm wrong for expressing it this way but I just think that if its not a rhema word/tailor made word than it wasn't my word. But there have been times when I've found a rhema word hidden inside message that I didn't think applied to me.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the dismissive attitude thing. :spinning: I just think that he has to know that not everyone is going to like or accept his music; simply because people are people whether they're Christian or not.

All in all, I appreciate the sentiments you've expressed on the topic. :yep:

Caramela

We can explore this together....
So this is me thinking out loud....

1. Before Lucifer became satan/the devil, Lucifer was known as the "son of the morning" (Isaiah 14:12), an anointed cherub (Ezekiel 28:14) and then other verses in that chapter speak to how Lucifer had jewels in his body and "the workmanship of your timbrels and pipes was prepared for you on the day you were created." (Ezekiel 28:13).

2. Gifts are given without repentence, yes? (Romans 11:29: "For God's gifts and His call are irrevocable. [He never withdraws them when once they are given, and He does not change His mind about those to whom He gives His grace or to whom He sends His call.]" (Amplified Bible)

3. So when the Lord God Almighty cast Lucifer out of heaven, his "gifts" were not separated from him, yes? Isaiah 14:12: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!"

(Luke 10:18: And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.)

4. The giftings and talents that the Lord gives all of us to use for HIS pleasure, when the enemy is given (or I'll say "sees") an open door in a person (Job 2:2; Luke 22:3), the enemy can PERVERT those God-given gifts and talents for something evil.

It doesn't say that the Lord God removed those things (or the symbolism of such things, e.g., beauty, enticements, etc.) And because of Lucifer's role as a literal musical instrument, it appears that it is MUSIC (among other things) in which Lucifer/now satan intensely works through.

The enemy tries to work through any door he can...he's a predator.... and since music WAS his "speciality" in heaven, it seems that music is an intense area.... when music is used for good (worship unto the Lord), it's a beautiful thing. But when it's used for evil, it generates much evil....

Wow, thanks.
But according to scipture, God does take away gifts, right? Like he took away the "talent" (I know this was a denotion of money) from the one man who buried his. And the scriptures say (luke12:48) "... For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" ... and if we take care of those things (matthew 25:21) "You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things" ... paraphrasing :drunk: So, I believe "gifts" can be taken away according to the scriptures. Maybe he just doesn't revoke gifts EVERY time we're unfaithful, but I think he CAN.
I understand your point though, that a good gift can be perverted. Makes sense.

Sui Topi

Amen!

This is a nice post. I really hear what you are saying and I agree with it, however I do still hold on to how I feel. I understand David got hype, but I think we should remember that Jesus is our perfect example. Men in the bible have countless stories on which we are to draw examples from and morals, but they fall short of Jesus. I don't ever recall any stories of Him not being reverent to His Father, throwing himself around and thats what matters to me. I know he got excited and moved, cried, but I don't remember hearing about Him acting crazy. I will not turn away from lessons learned by other men in the bible, but Jesus, especially in his lessons in worship is who I always look to.

I may be sooo wrong, and I am not going to go around condemning people because they want to clap and sing loudly in church. I don't see anything wrong with that. Please don't think I am being a Pharisee. I just feel there should be a certain level of respect and reverence in music that is intended for worshipping our Father. He doesn't deserve any less. But like I said, I don't know anyone's heart, I only know my own. If I am misinterpreting things, I will mos def be shown. (Wow, that rhymes :look:) Keep in mind not all of Tye's songs are screaming and madness. Like I said before, he has a lot of touching songs which I have on rotation. I just think he gets really excited and lets go sometimes.

I can really respect Tyes aims in his missionary though. We really really need to get our young people to have meaningful relationships with God. I really feel that his heart is in the right place and I pray he will continue to touch people and help steward them in to Gods arms.

Monilove122

Monielove122, we must've posted almost simultaneously...we used the same example of contemporary and traditional.

Sorry girl, LOL.

And no offense to ANYONE but I just get so tired of folks making rash judgements about new forms of gospel music (not speaking to anyone here I'm speaking GENERALLY) just because they don't understand it. My first reaction is always 'if you don't like it, don't listen to it' plain and simple but it goes further than that because it's time out for all of this mess in the Kingdom. There is too much Kingdom work to be done and one style and one way can't reach everyone.

For example - when there is preaching about folks who have had addictions such as alcohol, drugs, promiscuity, etc. it doesn't reach me because I've never had such addictions - IT DOESN'T SPEAK TO ME. I've seen preachers bring crack pipes as part of their sermons and break them to show how God can break you from any addiction you have. It might not be music but yes, the word is being wrapped up to ILLUSTRATE. It's not a sermon I'm jumping up and down on but I can empathize. And it's the same way with Tye Tribbett, Kirk Franklin, Gospel Gangstaz etc. people may not be able to identify with it and it might be wrapped up in a different package but it's reaching someone. And if just one person comes out of the darkness into the light because of a bounce your head song by one of the above artists is it not worth it? I think one thing we can ALL agree on is...YES IT IS!!!!!!

Monilove122

This is a nice post. I really hear what you are saying and I agree with it, however I do still hold on to how I feel. I understand David got hype, but I think we should remember that Jesus is our perfect example. Men in the bible have countless stories on which we are to draw examples from and morals, but they fall short of Jesus. I don't ever recall any stories of Him not being reverent to His Father, throwing himself around and thats what matters to me. I know he got excited and moved, cried, but I don't remember hearing about Him acting crazy. I will not turn away from lessons learned by other men in the bible, but Jesus, especially in his lessons in worship is who I always look to.

I may be sooo wrong, and I am not going to go around condemning people because they want to clap and sing loudly in church. I don't see anything wrong with that. Please don't think I am being a Pharisee. I just feel there should be a certain level of respect and reverence in music that is intended for worshipping our Father. He doesn't deserve any less. But like I said, I don't know anyone's heart, I only know my own. If I am misinterpreting things, I will mos def be shown. (Wow, that rhymes :look:) Keep in mind not all of Tye's songs are screaming and madness. Like I said before, he has a lot of touching songs which I have on rotation. I just think he gets really excited and lets go sometimes.

I can really respect Tyes aims in his missionary though. We really really need to get our young people to have meaningful relationships with God. I really feel that his heart is in the right place and I pray he will continue to touch people and help steward them in to Gods arms.

Hey :)

You know I agree with you but we first have to get them to know who God before they can move on to having a meaningful relationship with Him.

Not to mention, they are young folks. They want to have fun and bounce around. I actually wish there was a Tye Tribbett when I was younger because maybe I wouldn't have clubbed as long as I did (I'm a singer and a music lover so I would go to the club just to hear the music sometimes) if I knew I could come to church and hear something like this. When I see the young folks at my church have fun with this music then worship God...it's AWESOME.

It's what brings them in the door yes but it's definitely not what keeps them there. When I was younger I didn't see people my age worshipping the way this generation of young people does and for me, it's not because I didn't want to but c'mon teenagers never want to be embarrassed. I will never forget shouting at church then going to school the next day and teased for being the little church girl but now kids (most of the time) don't have the same issues. It's not an uncool thing to listen to the preacher and sing in the choir like it was before. These artists are meeting the needs of our young people and I for one am EXCITED to see them on fire for God.

I get what you are saying but again, Tye and those artists like him are not for EVERYONE. I don't care for Helen Baylor but many of my friends LOVE HER. When it comes to this topic I think we have gotten off track and taken the "argument" (not that anyone is arguing but you know what I mean, LOL) too far. It's more about musical taste than anything else.

Last edited:

Valerie

God does not care how you play your music, gospel, rock, soul or whatever as long as you worship him. That includes, young, old, whatever race or nation. If people want to sing in a particular way to worship God. Bless them in Jesus name!

PaperClip

Sorry girl, LOL.

And no offense to ANYONE but I just get so tired of folks making rash judgements about new forms of gospel music (not speaking to anyone here I'm speaking GENERALLY) just because they don't understand it. My first reaction is always 'if you don't like it, don't listen to it' plain and simple but it goes further than that because it's time out for all of this mess in the Kingdom. There is too much Kingdom work to be done and one style and one way can't reach everyone.

For example - when there is preaching about folks who have had addictions such as alcohol, drugs, promiscuity, etc. it doesn't reach me because I've never had such addictions - IT DOESN'T SPEAK TO ME. I've seen preachers bring crack pipes as part of their sermons and break them to show how God can break you from any addiction you have. It might not be music but yes, the word is being wrapped up to ILLUSTRATE. It's not a sermon I'm jumping up and down on but I can empathize. And it's the same way with Tye Tribbett, Kirk Franklin, Gospel Gangstaz etc. people may not be able to identify with it and it might be wrapped up in a different package but it's reaching someone. And if just one person comes out of the darkness into the light because of a bounce your head song by one of the above artists is it not worth it? I think one thing we can ALL agree on is...YES IT IS!!!!!!

I've asked before and I'll ask again: what's the definition of judgement?

I started another thread about gospel music websites that write reviews of gospel music CDs and I asked if they were also judging? Or because it seems the reviews are mostly favorable, then it's not judging?

Here's the link to the thread....
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=256445

And to speculate that one is judging because of a lack of understanding? Exactly how so?

This isn't a question about one style reaching one particular type of people. In fact, that reasoning is both judgemental and condescending because it assumes that a certain type of person likes and understands ONLY a certain type of music. It's downright insulting to assume, for example, that since I am from Detroit, I must like and understand only Motown music. The examples can be switched up but the principle applies accordingly.

And with regard to the point about a message on addictions: we have ALL BEEN addicted to SOMETHING. The illegal drugs and the illicit habits get more attention. So we all can get something out of a message on addictions. People can be addicted to food, network TV, coffee, LHCF, etc. There's a lesson we can all learn from an ANOINTED message about addictions.

And no offense to anyone in general, but am sure to direct my responses specifically, in a respectful tone.

Monilove122

I've asked before and I'll ask again: what's the definition of judgement?

I started another thread about gospel music websites that write reviews of gospel music CDs and I asked if they were also judging? Or because it seems the reviews are mostly favorable, then it's not judging?

Here's the link to the thread....
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=256445

And to speculate that one is judging because of a lack of understanding? Exactly how so?

This isn't a question about one style reaching one particular type of people. In fact, that reasoning is both judgemental and condescending because it assumes that a certain type of person likes and understands ONLY a certain type of music. It's downright insulting to assume, for example, that since I am from Detroit, I must like and understand only Motown music. The examples can be switched up but the principle applies accordingly.

And with regard to the point about a message on addictions: we have ALL BEEN addicted to SOMETHING. The illegal drugs and the illicit habits get more attention. So we all can get something out of a message on addictions. People can be addicted to food, network TV, coffee, LHCF, etc. There's a lesson we can all learn from an ANOINTED message about addictions.

And no offense to anyone in general, but am sure to direct my responses specifically, in a respectful tone.

Hi FoxyScholar,

Let me start by pointing out that we are not speaking about music reviews here. That's completely irrelevant to this discussion (or at least the point I am making).

Also, not sure how you are viewing my saying a certain STYLE of music appeals to a certain audience as judgemental. What's not true about that? What's judgmental about that? I can't say that I'm a fan of rock music and of course there is rock gospel (and heavy metal). Will that appeal to me enough for me to HEAR the message. Probably not. I don't like the package it's wrapped up in. The same with preaching styles. I know some folks that just won't listen to certain preachers. They don't like their style it may be a bit too dry, or too many huhs and hahs. It's a matter of preference.

First I want to say I said I've never had SUCH addictions. But furthermore addictions is a strong word. I can say I've NEVER had an addiction and THANK YOU JESUS FOR THAT. I didn't say I couldn't get something out of the message, I just said that it didn't relate to me. Here is the Webster's meaning of addiction.

Addiction
2: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful
Addicted
1 : to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively <addicted to gambling> 2 : to cause addiction to a substance in (a person or animal)

As you can see, addiction means that it's behavior that you cannot voluntarily stop and I've never had that. Now, have I had some bad habits yes. But they were things I could stop. Not everyone has an addiction.

But I'm loving this dialogue, It's great and I'm really enjoying it.

PaperClip

Sorry girl, LOL.

Hi FoxyScholar,

Let me start by pointing out that we are not speaking about music reviews here. That's completely irrelevant to this discussion (or at least the point I am making).

Also, not sure how you are viewing my saying a certain STYLE of music appeals to a certain audience as judgemental. What's not true about that? What's judgmental about that? I can't say that I'm a fan of rock music and of course there is rock gospel (and heavy metal). Will that appeal to me enough for me to HEAR the message. Probably not. I don't like the package it's wrapped up in. The same with preaching styles. I know some folks that just won't listen to certain preachers. They don't like their style it may be a bit too dry, or too many huhs and hahs. It's a matter of preference.

First I want to say I said I've never had SUCH addictions. But furthermore addictions is a strong word. I can say I've NEVER had an addiction and THANK YOU JESUS FOR THAT. I didn't say I couldn't get something out of the message, I just said that it didn't relate to me. Here is the Webster's meaning of addiction.

Addiction
2: compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal; broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful
Addicted
1 : to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively <addicted to gambling> 2 : to cause addiction to a substance in (a person or animal)

As you can see, addiction means that it's behavior that you cannot voluntarily stop and I've never had that. Now, have I had some bad habits yes. But they were things I could stop. Not everyone has an addiction.

But I'm loving this dialogue, It's great and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm addressing the points highlighted from your two most recent posts....

The term "judgement" came in when you said "rash judgements" about "new" forms of gospel music (which compels another question in terms of exactly what is "new" gospel music)....

And then to imply that such judgement comes from lack of understanding is simply...not understandable either. How can a person know if they do or don't like something if they've never listened to it? Sure, we may have leanings toward a particular type of subgenre of gospel, based on what we heard growing up and so on and so forth, but to automatically restrict a certain type of music to a certain audience, in my opinion, has an oppressive feel to it.

I know real grown folk who LOVE Tye. I know young folk who groove to some quartet stuff (not me...but when I give some quartet music a chance when I'm in the mood, every so often I will hear a song that sounds kinda good! LOL!) So like you said, will it appeal enough to hear the message? Sure, when I feel like giving attention to that particular song at that particular moment. And I'm also saying that WE ALL CAN and WE ALL SHOULD expand our gospel music horizons into some unfamiliar territory every once in a while to see what other subgenres we may like so we can participate in these types of conversations with more informed opinions.

With regard to your point about addictions: per the definition you presented, it does not indicate anything about voluntary or involuntary ability to cease the addiction. We have all dealt with something on a compulsive level, be it for an hour, a minute, etc. Even Lay's Chips says "you can't eat just one". It's in the culture. And for many of us, most of these addictions don't seem to be long-term or life-threatening. I used to drink Coca-Cola COMPUSIVELY. I stopped/weaned myself off of it years ago (Hallelujah!). I know people who have stopped smoking cold turkey (A voluntary measure). Others may have to go through a formalized program. I'm not talking about the KIND of addiction one may have versus dealing with a compulsive behavior that we have all dealt with on some level.

Keep1Belle

Whoa!:nono:

Well, maybe it should be clear about what is meant by "old school gospel"....

Because some of this "new-fangled" gospel ain't gonna get you to Jesus when there's an emergency....

I like some of my gospel music to bump... but not all of it 24/7/365.... A couple of Tye's songs got a nice beat to it and there's a worship song on one of his earlier records that's kinda nice.... I'll have to browse for the name....

I've been saved since I was 20 years old.... And I know that being saved can be fun and it's definitely not boring.... but when it's time to get down to it... what can help usher you into the Holy of Holies.... the list of "gospel" music gets very short. Israel and New Breed is at the top of my list.

Like I said before, I have some criticisms about a lot of today's gospel sound... it's too commercial... using worldly tricks because that's supposedly what "attracts the young people".... that's a cop-out.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ is powerful enough and attractive enough on its own.

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. What may help you in a crisis situation may not help me and vice versa. your go-to song or scripture may vary grealy than mine. As long as they are sound int he WORD and teachings of Christ, I do not say how one can be viewed as more holy than the other.

This is like a friend of mine who always kneels to pray at church,home, wherever, I have nothing wrong with that. We got to talking and her view was she felt she was closes to God that way, ok that makes sense. But, from my view. When I was driving home from a late night and was side swiped across 3 lanes of traffic and i called out to God, I still felt very much close to him and his protection, I did not need to kneel. She still kneels when she prays and i pray anywhere at any moment. I dont think either of us are wrong.

I believe music, if based in the Word NOT the World is the same.

PaperClip

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. What may help you in a crisis situation may not help me and vice versa. your go-to song or scripture may vary grealy than mine. As long as they are sound int he WORD and teachings of Christ, I do not say how one can be viewed as more holy than the other.

This is like a friend of mine who always kneels to pray at church,home, wherever, I have nothing wrong with that. We got to talking and her view was she felt she was closes to God that way, ok that makes sense. But, from my view. When I was driving home from a late night and was side swiped across 3 lanes of traffic and i called out to God, I still felt very much close to him and his protection, I did not need to kneel. She still kneels when she prays and i pray anywhere at any moment. I dont think either of us are wrong.

I believe music, if based in the Word NOT the World is the same.

Based on your last sentence (bolded), you actually SHOULD agree with me. Why? Because it sounds like the issue has to do with the FORMAT (or subgenre) of gospel versus the CONTENT (message).

It may help you to understand why I said what I said: I was responding to the poster who said this: "old school gospel isn't gonna save our children, a new generation. they need to undertand that a saved life doesn't mean that life is no longer fun and enjoyable."

So then the question becomes this: what's "old school gospel" and what's "new school gospel"?

I can find you an old-school example of any so-called new school gospel. And upthread, I believe I also mentioned how in 10 years, people may be calling Tye's stuff "old school gospel". There's nothing new under the sun.

It's one thing to have a preference for a particular song or whatever. We're all different people with different likes and dislikes, etc. I will say if a person's attention is more on the beats than the message, then there's something wrong, very wrong with that.

And in a crisis moment (particularly like the one you describe about driving in a car), I don't know how many people would have a chance to kneel. So that's kind of an extreme example.

And while it's not a matter of being right or wrong in terms of what specific actions get one closer to the Lord, I will say that while the Lord is no respecter of persons (that's the Word), He certainly likes it when we do things that get His attention with a sincere heart (like kneeling, like laying prostrate, etc.). The Lord has feelings just like we do (He laughs, mourns, cries, etc.) and just like we gravitate toward people who do things for us out of love and sincereity, so does He.

kandake

And I'm also saying that WE ALL CAN and WE ALL SHOULD expand our gospel music horizons into some unfamiliar territory every once in a while to see what other subgenres we may like so we can participate in these types of conversations with more informed opinions.

I agree with the bolded. For years I would only listen to black gospel music. I started listening to "inspirational/pop/praise and worship" types music by white artist when I was in college and I fell in love. I don't always remember the names of the artist but I recognize the songs that I like. I absolutely love Michael W. Smith's version of Agnus Dei (I like the Donnie McClurkin version too).

I'm so glad I opened up my heart and my mind to other genres of gospel/inspirational music.