MY PASTOR SAYS TYE TRIBBETT IS THE DEVIL'S CHILD

PaperClip

I agree with the bolded. For years I would only listen to black gospel music. I started listening to "inspirational/pop/praise and worship" types music by white artist when I was in college and I fell in love. I don't always remember the names of the artist but I recognize the songs that I like. I absolutely love Michael W. Smith's version of Agnus Dei (I like the Donnie McClurkin version too).

I'm so glad I opened up my heart and my mind to other genres of gospel/inspirational music.

And A LOT of the praise and worship music sung in churches come from other versions of those inspirational/pop/praise and worship songs written by those White artists....

"How Great Is Our God" was written by Chris Tomlin (that's my song!)... I've heard at least two different versions on Black choir CDs (and I don't like them as much...and I started singing in the adult choir at 12 years old so I know choir music). And that's not a bad thing.... at least somebody has begun to expand their horizons.

Kirk Franklin is another one who has attempted to bring in some other genres as well. I believe it's the "Rebirth" CD(?) where he does some stuff with TobyMac.... I gave it a listen.... It was like "eh" but from a musical standpoint, I applaud him for taking the risk and expanding his own musical horizon....

There are other examples of this....

Keep1Belle

Based on your last sentence (bolded), you actually SHOULD agree with me. Why? Because it sounds like the issue has to do with the FORMAT (or subgenre) of gospel versus the CONTENT (message).

It may help you to understand why I said what I said: I was responding to the poster who said this: "old school gospel isn't gonna save our children, a new generation. they need to undertand that a saved life doesn't mean that life is no longer fun and enjoyable."

So then the question becomes this: what's "old school gospel" and what's "new school gospel"?

I can find you an old-school example of any so-called new school gospel. And upthread, I believe I also mentioned how in 10 years, people may be calling Tye's stuff "old school gospel". There's nothing new under the sun.

It's one thing to have a preference for a particular song or whatever. We're all different people with different likes and dislikes, etc. I will say if a person's attention is more on the beats than the message, then there's something wrong, very wrong with that.

And in a crisis moment (particularly like the one you describe about driving in a car), I don't know how many people would have a chance to kneel. So that's kind of an extreme example.

And while it's not a matter of being right or wrong in terms of what specific actions get one closer to the Lord, I will say that while the Lord is no respecter of persons (that's the Word), He certainly likes it when we do things that get His attention with a sincere heart (like kneeling, like laying prostrate, etc.). The Lord has feelings just like we do (He laughs, mourns, cries, etc.) and just like we gravitate toward people who do things for us out of love and sincereity, so does He.

I guess my point is that if "new school" has the same message as an old school song, just different arrangement, then I dont see any harm in that. Its ok that the music has more bounce in that.

We had youth day at church a while back. Now even I will admit sometimes they youth s t r e t c h things a bit. But this one girl sang a song, I believe she wrote it and the message was similar to that old "jesus on the main line" song. Her version just had some "bounce" to it with the beat machine. I didnt see anything wrong with that in that the message was there.

I agree that in sometimes with commercialization the message is lost. But when i look at Tye Tribbets music as a whole, I dont believe that is the case.

All in IMHO

Monilove122

In regards to judgement, I'm speaking of it as plain as I can. Don't know if you want me to give a definition of what I mean or not as you keep touching on that.

Not sure where the bolded comes in as it's not something I said or IMPLIED. I'm just simply stating that EVERYONE no matter who they are likes a certain style of music. You suggested early that because you are from Detroit you should only like Motown according to your interpretation of my comments and that's not even close to what I said. If that were the case I should LOVE hip-hop as I am from The Bronx and that is the birthplace of that genre. Not so at all. What I am saying though is that the music that SURROUNDS the Gospel has an effect as to whether or not it will reach the listener.

I happen to actually be a lover of different genres of music. Some quartet groups I like but overall, it's not my cup of tea. I like Bon Jovi but do I LOVE rock music generally speaking - no. So that again makes a difference to the listener. I guarantee you that the Pastor of the OP doesn't like Tye because he doesn't like that GENRE of music. It can't be because of the message because if he has indeed listened to Tye's music he speaks of nothing but praising & worshipping God.

And I'm grown folks (I'll be 35 this year) and I LOVE Tye. But my Aunt who is 65, hmmmm...not so much, LOL. It's because it's a style that is unfamiliar to her, she also doesn't like miming or stepping in the church. She says it's not God but most of us know different. So again, it's about the listener (or per my example above, the viewer).

Lastly in regards to addiction your analogy of Lay's chips and you can't just eat just one. That isn't addiction, that's momentary. When people think of addiction are they really thinking of eating a few chips in that moment, I don't think so. Addiction per the definition I gave is past compulsion - it is psychological and because it is psychological that is why it's not something you can just stop doing voluntarily. Yeah, I know people who gave up smoking cold turkey. My father was one of those people but he also told me that it was a struggle every day at first and then it diminished over time. Again, not everyone has addictions and I never spoke of any particular type of addiction - I'm speaking in general. I thank God everyday that I don't because it could have been the other way.

I'm addressing the points highlighted from your two most recent posts....

The term "judgement" came in when you said "rash judgements" about "new" forms of gospel music (which compels another question in terms of exactly what is "new" gospel music)....

And then to imply that such judgement comes from lack of understanding is simply...not understandable either. How can a person know if they do or don't like something if they've never listened to it? Sure, we may have leanings toward a particular type of subgenre of gospel, based on what we heard growing up and so on and so forth, but to automatically restrict a certain type of music to a certain audience, in my opinion, has an oppressive feel to it.

I know real grown folk who LOVE Tye. I know young folk who groove to some quartet stuff (not me...but when I give some quartet music a chance when I'm in the mood, every so often I will hear a song that sounds kinda good! LOL!) So like you said, will it appeal enough to hear the message? Sure, when I feel like giving attention to that particular song at that particular moment. And I'm also saying that WE ALL CAN and WE ALL SHOULD expand our gospel music horizons into some unfamiliar territory every once in a while to see what other subgenres we may like so we can participate in these types of conversations with more informed opinions.

With regard to your point about addictions: per the definition you presented, it does not indicate anything about voluntary or involuntary ability to cease the addiction. We have all dealt with something on a compulsive level, be it for an hour, a minute, etc. Even Lay's Chips says "you can't eat just one". It's in the culture. And for many of us, most of these addictions don't seem to be long-term or life-threatening. I used to drink Coca-Cola COMPUSIVELY. I stopped/weaned myself off of it years ago (Hallelujah!). I know people who have stopped smoking cold turkey (A voluntary measure). Others may have to go through a formalized program. I'm not talking about the KIND of addiction one may have versus dealing with a compulsive behavior that we have all dealt with on some level.

Zeal

As a homegirl of the tri-state area. I was listening to Tye when he was a local boy with a group. This was before the albums came out. However, I knew he was going to do great things in the gospel arena.

Tye is just different like "John the Baptist". Listen to the whole album. He has lot's of praise and worship and powerful lyrics. Honestly Tye has a personality like his Mom. :spinning:

"Everything to Me", "Sinking" .

Have you really listened to the lyrics to Stand Out. Tye has like... this.. rock influence. He had a white group at one time i heard them perfome. I don't know what became of them.

Zeal

Breathe in and breathe out honey!

David didn't mind looking "foolish" in front of some folks because his praise was not for men but for God.

I encourage all to read 2 Samuel 6 which tells the story that beautifulisaunderstatment was talking about above. I just want to point out a few verses.

v14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

v15 So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

v16 And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

v20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!

v21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play (celebrate) before the LORD.

So dancing (even wildly) and shouting are acceptable forms of expressing your love for the Lord. We as Christians have to be extremely careful when we want to comment on how someone is praising God. It is God that knows exactly where that person's heart is. Let's say, I see a man in church jumping and dancing wildly in praise and I think he looks absolutely foolish. I make up in my mind that I'm going to interrupt his praise, pull him over to the side and tell him how inappropriate and unnecessary his method of praise is and that he needs to calm it down and show some respect for the other people in God's house. I could only imagine the conviction I'd feel in my spirit if right before I'm about to confront the man, God opens up my spiritual eyes and I see angels all around this man dancing and jumping and having a praise party right along with him!

beautifulisaunderstatment, one of the key lessons that God taught me is that not every Christian is going to accept your praise, even if the praise is 100% sincere and God and His angels are loving every moment of it! So I say embrace the negro spiritual but also embrace other Holy Spirit annointed songs whether they are in a style of yesterday or in a style of today. As long as you know in your heart that your worship is pleasing God, then it does not matter what any human being says, even if that human being is a well-meaning Christian. People pleasing at the expense of God pleasing can break your spirit. I truly believe that there are many God-loving people who don't fulfill their divine calling not because of what the world did or said but because they listened to Christians tell them that their ministry was all wrong and that their methods of worship were all wrong instead of listening to what God told them to do.

I hear you!!! Not to change the subject. I am a praise dance at my church. There are some people who ain't digging it. I don't want to offend. In the same breath don't knock my praise.

Butterfly08

I love several songs off of Tye's new album (his earlier albums not so much, just not my style). I just downloaded Hold On, Let Is Worship and Hallelujah to my ipod. I love the music and MOST IMPORTANTLY the message.

saved06

uhhh..lol.... just pray for Tye, I think he is battling a homosexual spirit. I will try and find the interview but he mentioned that he wanted to make an underground Lust album..I'll try and find it for you all. I know this sounds crazy... but we can't just point out Tye, I used to work for a popular label that also had a gospel label with it. And I will tell you most of the men in gospel are homosexual and it's a big trend. So we can get on Tye but those other CD's we listen to are made under that same spirit.

taytay86

uhhh..lol.... just pray for Tye, I think he is battling a homosexual spirit. I will try and find the interview but he mentioned that he wanted to make an underground Lust album..I'll try and find it for you all. I know this sounds crazy... but we can't just point out Tye, I used to work for a popular label that also had a gospel label with it. And I will tell you most of the men in gospel are homosexual and it's a big trend. So we can get on Tye but those other CD's we listen to are made under that same spirit.

I'd like to see that link

mamaore

This is a nice post. I really hear what you are saying and I agree with it, however I do still hold on to how I feel. I understand David got hype, but I think we should remember that Jesus is our perfect example. Men in the bible have countless stories on which we are to draw examples from and morals, but they fall short of Jesus. I don't ever recall any stories of Him not being reverent to His Father, throwing himself around and thats what matters to me. I know he got excited and moved, cried, but I don't remember hearing about Him acting crazy.

Didnt Jesus act "crazy" when he chased folks away from the temple when they were buying and selling; Thats passion. I remember paul writing strongly worded letters to the Corinthians (Ist Cor)

I will not turn away from lessons learned by other men in the bible, but Jesus, especially in his lessons in worship is who I always look to.

I may be sooo wrong, and I am not going to go around condemning people because they want to clap and sing loudly in church. I don't see anything wrong with that. Please don't think I am being a Pharisee. I just feel there should be a certain level of respect and reverence in music that is intended for worshipping our Father. He doesn't deserve any less. But like I said, I don't know anyone's heart, I only know my own. If I am misinterpreting things, I will mos def be shown. (Wow, that rhymes :look:) Keep in mind not all of Tye's songs are screaming and madness. Like I said before, he has a lot of touching songs which I have on rotation. I just think he gets really excited and lets go sometimes.

I can really respect Tyes aims in his missionary though. We really really need to get our young people to have meaningful relationships with God. I really feel that his heart is in the right place and I pray he will continue to touch people and help steward them in to Gods arms.

There is a time to minister to each other, there is a time to minister to the Lord.
A lof of songs today minister to us, encouraging us, challenging us and reminding us what we are in Christ. There is a place for that.
However there is a place for songs of worship, when we lift our hands in praise to God our Father and to Jesus the son for who he is.

We all have to recognise these types of songs, they are both needed and at different times. And not everyone is called to do both. Everyone has a grace and gift as the spirit wills.

As per these artists, we should be careful with judging. There is a thin line between speaking in generalities and judging what others do. We are each responsible for our walk with the Lord. None of us was there when the Lord spoke to Tye, how are we so sure he is not doing exactly what the Lord sent him. Except we perceive this in our spirt or the Holy spirit reveals to us, we should be careful to talk about what we do not understand. We always know in part.

As we type online, we need to remember whatever things are good, whatever things are of good report, if there by any virtue, if there be any praise?
Our conversations should always adhere to this guidelines.

Personally,these days, I vet my songs based on whether its spewing unbelief or its scriptural. Just discovered Donald Lawrence - Law of Confession. Its been a long time I bought a CD where all the tracks was the real goods.
If its a worship song, then let it help me minister effctively to the Lord; if the purpose of the song is to minister to me, it better be talking the word.

Last edited:

mamaore

Let us all remember that God did not create us the same, our needs are different.
Even the 12 disciples were all very different from each other.

As far as am concerned the devil always try to use this I belong to Paul and I belong to Apollo arguement to cause divisions in the church.

Like some folks dont like the message bible, they say its watered down. While some wont be caught dead with a KJV transalation.

Some folks dont like small churches, some like big churches.

There is diversity in the gifts of the spirit and God blesses us with different deliveries. We need to understand and respect that.