my scalp needs help :o(

Daughter

UK Blak
since joining this board I've washed my hair more frequently - at least every 4-7 days, the most I've gone is ten days (compared to every 2 weeks). I've had problems with a flaky scalp for about 2 yeas now. I no longer use shampoos that contains SLS and I rarely "grease" my scalp. Could this be the problem? Should I spritz my scalp with water or something shanmpoos?

While I don't drink as much water as I ought, my scako shouldn't be this bad... flakes can appear 3 days after a shampoo : My scalp doesn't trally itch unless I don't wash it for about 10 days (which isn't very often).

I've heard of a shampoo called Nizoral. Has anyone used this?

LCHF sistas help!

Nonie

Hey Daughter, I think Nizarol may be what Adrienne uses for her psoriasis... Not sure. Do a search for it or for psoriasis and you should find the thread she recently posted about her regimen.

I've been toying with aromatherapy and I came across these two recipes for dandruff:

Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
Use the shampoo base [below].

<ul type="square">1 cup shampoo base
20 drops rosemary oil
20 drops eucalyptus oil
20 drops lemon oil [/list]
To make: mix all together really well and mix again before use. Store in a squeeze bottle.
To use: invert the bottle a few times to mix the oils with the shampoo. Shampoo the hair thoroughly paying special attention to the scalp, massaging with the pads of the fingers, not the nails. Rinse well and follow with the essential oil vinegar rinse above.

Anti-Dandruff Tonic
<ul type="square">1 cup water (rainwater if possible)
1 teaspoon borax
1 tablespoon distilled witch hazel
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
20 drops lavender oil
20 drops rosemary oil
10 drops tea-tree oil [/list]
Mix the water and borax, stir until dissolved. Add remaining ingredients, bottle and shake well.
Shake well before use. Part the hair and rub a little of the tonic onto the scalp using a cotton-wool ball.
Repeat all over the scalp. Use the tonic every night.

Shampoo Base
In the following recipe you can use either fresh herbs or essential oils but remember that fresh herb teas 'go off' and the shampoo won't last as long as when using essential oils unless you add 1% preservative. Follow the shampoo with a vinegar rinse.

Castile Shampoo
<ul type="square">3 tablespoons (12 teaspoons) finely chopped dried rosemary and lavender
1 cup (250ml) water (rain or distilled water is the best)
3/4 cup (375ml) liquid castile soap
1 - 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine [/list]
Simmer the herbs and water in a covered pan for 30 minutes. Stand overnight if possible. Strain. Simmer, covered until reduced to 1/2 cup. Add to the castile soap, add glycerine mix and bottle.
If using essential oils add 20 drops lavender, 10 drops rosemary and 10 drops basil (optional) essential oils to the castile soap and mix well.

I haven't tried any of these since I don't have dandruff, but if you do try them, let me know what you think.

Karonica

I know Adrienne uses it.

I've suffered with this problem for years, and the only thing that kept it down was frequent use of water on my scalp. If I go a week without doing this, then the problems arise. But I had the best results when I was wetting it a bit every few days and using Profectiv cremes or TCB greases. Any other greases would irritate my scalp, particularly Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil (as much as I loved it).

Right now, B&amp;B Hair &amp; Mayonnaise doesn't irritate my scalp either.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
bump
I'm using acv and oiling my scalp. I'm not totally free of flakes but I have hopes that it will work. On the alternative, spraying african royal braid spray or sulfur 8 braid spray(yellow bottle) was helpful when I wore braids.
I'm yet to use it because it is a liquid/watery formula

Daughter

UK Blak
I used to use the yellow profectiv stuff on my hair, not my scalp though - thanks for the tip! My sister reckons I have flakes because I don't grease my scalp (I'mso very lazy with that). I'll try shea butter as I use it on my face with no problems.

Daughter

UK Blak
I forgot all about Sulfur8! I used to use the grease a while back, the stuff stinks! Still, I'll look out for it next time I visit the shop.

Karonica

I put some of the Mega Growth on my hair and scalp Saturday (thick, yellow creme) and so far, no itchies, which is good, because I plan to keep this phonypony in the rest of the week before taking it down. I was using the Sulfur 8 and it really does work, but the smell, I reckon!
Also, I made a mistake and used it on wet hair before and it made my hair feel really weird.
But I know if I don't put anything on my scalp (some kinda creme or grease) that only makes matters worse. Water can only do so much for me.

I suggest you start experimenting with cremes. If that doesn't work, TCB Hair and Scalp Conditioner gives my scalp no problems either (the grease version NOT the "light" version which is similar to gel and dries out the scalp). It has a bunch of herbs in it and is sorta creamy for a grease, not super thick, so it doesn't "smother" the scalp. I'm going back to this grease after I'm done with my B&amp;B Super Gro.

LABETT

I used to have have real bad dandruff until I started using
prescription strength Nizoral 2% shampoo.
I also do pre-hot oil treatment with Extra virgin olive oil
on my hair for 20-30 minutes.
Since I started taking flaxseed oil I am flake free.
I wash my hair twice a week.

Daughter

UK Blak
I've been doing the olive oil thing asd it's helped... I bought some Nizoral yesterday and so far si good! I'll give flaxseed oil a try, thanks for the tip.

SoniT

Hot oil treatments help me. My scalp was itching and flaky so I did a hot oil treatment last night and so far, so good.

Daughter

UK Blak
Yeah I'd been slacking uo a bit on those. Did one last night and so far, so good! Makes my hair feel softer too.