My Seborrheic dermatitis discovery and challenge

YuNg

I recently visited a dermatologist thats not in my regular hospital but my grandfather refered me too him. He told me alot of the problem that causes Seb. dermatitis is dairy products. He told me that we can't digest it and he said something about how it clogs up your liver and causes every toxin to go straight through your skin. He gave me some supplements to detox my liver. He said to avoid dairy for 2 months and see if the problem improves. So i challenge anyone who has seb. dermatitis or bad skin to avoid dairy for 2 months. I also told him about the fact that i can't fall asleep and i have trouble waking up out of my sleep. Its like my brain isn't getting the message that im trying to wake up. He said its all part of dairy. He said that it closes something in your throat and makes it feel like you can't breath at night or something of that nature. He also said cut back on sugar if you cant completely eliminate it.

Bobbie

If you can't breathe at night, it's most likely sleep apnea that's the cause. It's the obstruction of breathing that could be a problem.
Just wondering, do you know if you're lactose intolerant? That's the only way I can see dairy being a problem.

You can try soy milk as a milk substitute. It's not perfect, but it works.

I didn't know that dairy can work that way. It's worth looking up, that's for sure. Thanks for the info.

daviine

I've heard of this....Left Eye spoke of this.

As for me----there is NO WAY I'm giving up cheese, eggs (is that dairy?), yogurt, chocolate milk......

Ummm...I think I'd rather dry my hair out with those harsh shampoos....sad but true
.....Besides I need my calcium!!!

MissM

I don't know if I quite buy this, because I don't eat a lot of dairy. I eat eggs maybe like once a month, drink no milk, and don't eat much cheese. And my scalp is off the chain with dermatitis. But if this works for someone else then hey, ok.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Just FYI eggs are not considered a dairy product. You see eggs come from chickens. Dairy refers to milk and milk related products, (butter, cheese, ice cream,)

You'd be surprised that it will be difficult to eliminate dairy from your diet completely..it's in so many processed foods that you wouldn't even imagine.

That's an interesting theory that your Dr. has. Keep us posted on your results. It's a fact that humans don't digest dairy products well, as it promotes the production of mucus in our bodies.

Spagirl

Yung, what supplements (and amount in mg) did you get to detox your liver? I haven't done dairy in a while but my liver is in need of detoxifying.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
daviine said:
I've heard of this....Left Eye spoke of this.

As for me----there is NO WAY I'm giving up cheese, eggs (is that dairy?), yogurt, chocolate milk......

Ummm...I think I'd rather dry my hair out with those harsh shampoos....sad but true
.....Besides I need my calcium!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the articles that I've read say that calcium is not very adsorbable when it comes from milk.

Dairy could also be a main contributor to dermatitis. Here are three links that link dairy to dandruff.

http://www.coolnurse.com/dandruff.htm
http://www.go-symmetry.com/health/dandruff.htm
http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C505730.html

This is a copy of a newsletter I saved from ChristinaCooks.com
[ QUOTE ]

Your Health Got Milk?
By Christina Pirello

We see them everywhere…beautiful, milk-moustached people in ads telling us how wonderful life will be if we drink it. In my opinion, milk should be placed on the official hazardous food list with it’s own Surgeon General’s warning.

Milk is considered to be the perfect food, rich in calcium and protein. We even made it a food group. Many experts now question the wisdom of this thinking. Studies are beginning to show that dairy food in instrumental in causing compromised immune function, allergies, brittle bones, obesity, a variety of reproductive disorders, and early onset of puberty.

Mother’s milk is our first food, imprinting on us the characteristics and behavior patterns that make us who we are. Does milk contain all the nutrients vital to life? Yes. Species create the perfect milk for their young…their young. We are the only species that drinks the milk of another after weaning.

The problems associated with drinking milk after infancy reads like a laundry list. Saturated fats and cholesterol in milk clog arteries, contributing to heart disease. The basic milk molecule, casein, is dense, stressing the liver, pancreas, stomach, and intestines in the milk drinker. To combat udder infection, dairy cows are fed antibiotics, which in turn attack the flora and villa in the intestines of the consumer, contributing to digestive trouble, just the way second-hand smoke affects the lungs of non-smokers. The estrogen being fed to dairy cows has been directly linked to breast and prostate cancer.

Then there are the children. Dairy cows are pushed to product more milk than is natural, fed hormones, including estrogen, prolactin, and progesterone. In a recent study, it was concluded that the onset of puberty, as early as age ten, is caused by excessive amounts of hormones that children are ingesting in meat and dairy foods. Our children are having children because their bodies are ready too soon.

What about organic milk? It’s it better? Of course. At the very least, we aren’t taking in antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides and hormones, but it’s still milk and even without additives, it is the root of many problems, including osteoporosis. With the USDA organic standards in place, we can now be sure, as consumers, that organic animal products are exactly that, since prior to these standards, none existed for animal food, as they did for fruits and vegetables. Still milk is not a natural food for mature adults to be consuming. It’s for babies, to help them mature and grow. What about calcium? Milk is loaded with it but it doesn’t do us much good.

The calcium present in dairy is bonded to casein, and although abundant, it is largely unavailable to us, since milk lacks magnesium, potassium, and vitamin D, unless artificially enriched with these added nutrients. There’s more to it than calcium. Milk protein is dense, designed to build a huge, heavy animal that matures quickly, making it more difficult to digest. Animal proteins cause a greater excretion of urea from the kidneys, depleting the body of calcium, magnesium, and potassium. The excessive intake of protein causes the blood to become highly acidic. The body relies on serum calcium in the blood to balance that acid, depleting our store of calcium and creating the need for supplementation to replenish our loss. Then there’s skim or no-fat milk. By removing the fat, you concentrate the proteins, and remove the very component needed for assimilation—fat. The more concentrated the protein, the more calcium is excreted during digestion. By removing the fat, you inhibit the body’s ability to assimilate vitamin D, which is vital to our utilization of calcium. Does a body good? Don’t be too sure. Lactose intolerance is the least of our worries with milk.

So is there life without dairy? Yes, a healthy one. By reducing animal fats and choosing plant foods, especially dark leafy greens, broccoli, beans, nuts, seeds, soyfoods (including tofu and soymilk), even fish, we create a diet rich in calcium that is useable and protein and fat that nourishes, rather than weakens us. Interestingly, studies show that for dairy-reliant women and cultures for whom dairy products are a food group, osteoporosis has become and epidemic. Coincidence? Not likely. Although ingrained in our culinary history, dairy foods have no regular place in our diets, and the final analysis, you will only understand the effect dairy has had on your health by eliminating it and experiencing the difference in your daily well being.

From Christina Cooks online newsletter. <ChristinaCooks.com>

[/ QUOTE ]
I no longer have dermatitis, but I believe that it could have been a combination of things that cleared up my scalp. I no longer use hair relaxers or harsh shampoos, my diet is healthier than ever, I gave up red meat and poultry, I also limit dairy intake, I drink a lot of water, I have an aggressive vitamin regimen, etc.

To be honest with ya'll - I feel a lot better when I don't drink milk. I love dairy but it gives me a stuffy nose and congestion, so I don't eat or drink very much of it.