My Theory: Looser Textures Are More Likely to Get Heat Damaged

ajoyfuljoy

Riddle me this: I've been doing a lot of thinking about heat damage. It seems to me that more people in the 3s and 2s seem to complain about it than more people in the 4s (kinky, afro-like hair whether it be coily or no).

What do you think? Can kinkier hair (more like type 4) take more heat?

mscocoface

I am not sure if the term is take more heat versus we need to use a lot more like going over the hair more than once to get it straight.

I do know that in order for my hair to get bone straight it not only takes some heat but a lot more passes through the hair and a pulling (not hard) when going down the shaft of the hair.

I am a 4BCDEFG. :)

MsBoinglicious

I always thought it was the other way around. Kinkier heads get heat damage faster because it takes more heat to straighten (more curly hair) vs a looser head that takes less heat to straighten (pretty much closer to already being straight). BUT thats just me! i dunno i guess there are a lot of factors that play into it. Like texture, that amount of heat and how often they use heat.

PinkPebbles

I always thought it was the other way around. Kinkier heads get heat damage faster because it takes more heat to straighten (more curly hair) vs a looser head that takes less heat to straighten (pretty much closer to already being straight). BUT thats just me! i dunno i guess there are a lot of factors that play into it. Like texture, that amount of heat and how often they use heat.

I thought the same thing!

that_1_grrrl

Well, I think it could just be people with looser textures using more heat than is necessary to straighten hair. But, I think texture has less to do with it and the person's individual hair more to do with it.

I know if I wanted to, I could take a lot of heat, and I am 4a/b, but I don't think it has to do with my hair texture. I just think my hair has a bit of strength to it.

yamilee21

I agree, if I so much as look at a blow-dryer, I get split ends, :lol:. Seriously, I am not sure what to think... the finer, less curly hairs on my head are rarely damaged, but the coarser, thicker strands are a mess, so it might be the other way around.

locabouthair

I am not sure if the term is take more heat versus we need to use a lot more like going over the hair more than once to get it straight.

I do know that in order for my hair to get bone straight it not only takes some heat but a lot more passes through the hair and a pulling (not hard) when going down the shaft of the hair.

I am a 4BCDEFG. :)

Yep. I'm a 4z and it takes A LOT to straighten my hair.

When I was natural the stylist would blow dry it press it (a usually two times) then flat/iron and then bump it.

gymfreak336

Riddle me this: I've been doing a lot of thinking about heat damage. It seems to me that more people in the 3s and 2s seem to complain about it than more people in the 4s (kinky, afro-like hair whether it be coily or no).

What do you think? Can kinkier hair (more like type 4) take more heat?

IDK.

Personally, I think they complain about heat damage more because they see it more. By the time we recongize heat damage, the hair is already broken (I got another theory on why that is though).

As someone else already mentioned, it does have alot to do with whether your hair is fine or thick too. I think in order for us to look at who is getting heat damage more often, we need to look at whether their hair is fine or thick, their regime, and how they use the heat.

Kay.Dee

I have 4b hair
Which is why I haven't even bothered with trying to straighten my hair. I know I'm personally avoiding it because it will take too much time, and I'm afraid of what I'll do to it during the process.

ajoyfuljoy

Interesting comments ladies!

I thought about this whole concept this weekend b/c I "tried" to straighten my NG. I used my SEDU at 410 and oh yeah, it got relaxer straight.

But after three days, it bounced back like I just washed it :-/

And it took two days. I exercised and everything, and it didn't revert but it did just after some time passed.

It got me thinking, I remember my mom used to blow dry and hot comb my hair when I was natural and I don't remember it being damaged. I just can't imagine my natural hair being damaged by heat.

But I noticed a lot of looser curled women complain about damage a lot.

IDK. Your comments were great to help me think about this whole thing further.

More comments please!

that_1_grrrl

I think you're talking more relaxed v. natural hair.

Interesting comments ladies!

I thought about this whole concept this weekend b/c I "tried" to straighten my NG. I used my SEDU at 410 and oh yeah, it got relaxer straight.

But after three days, it bounced back like I just washed it :-/

And it took two days. I exercised and everything, and it didn't revert but it did just after some time passed.

It got me thinking, I remember my mom used to blow dry and hot comb my hair when I was natural and I don't remember it being damaged. I just can't imagine my natural hair being damaged by heat.

But I noticed a lot of looser curled women complain about damage a lot.

IDK. Your comments were great to help me think about this whole thing further.

More comments please!

BrownEyez22

IRL I haven't heard alot of type 3's complain about heat damage, I hear more about it happening to type 4's. But both sides have been fearful of it occuring.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Ajoyful,

Based on science, I would agree with you. Cysteine is the amino acid that is responsible for making curly hair curly. It is this amino acid that is broken down when the hair is relaxed. The chemical in relaxer breaks the disulfide bonds in cysteine. This is why relaxed heads especially want to have protein in their regimen somewhere, to provide some semblance of the amino acids that were broken down.

Heat also denatures the proteins in hair.--and straighter hair would have less cysteine than curly hair. This is not saying that straight hair does not have protein--all hair is made of keratin and therefore all hair has cysteine in it but straighter hair doesn't have as much as curlier hair. But I think the straightness of straight hair helps to keep it in tact. It isn't as "angular" and so it can be mechanically managed without a lot of pulling and pressure. Also, the straightness as we've always heard, allows the natural scalp oils to flow down the length of the strand. Because curly hair doesn't have those same characteristics, it does possess a fragile quality.

When straight hair is damaged by heat, initially it may be hard to tell because straight hair is already straight (it doesn't have any curl to lose). Heat damaged curly hair shows signs of this damage by losing some of its curliness. So with all that said, yeah I can see how your theory would be correct. :up:

Last edited:

BostonMaria

I've seen alot more 4b's complain about heat damage than the looser textured ladies. I also think it has to do with thick vs thin hair. I personally think that people that press their hair (vs using a Chi) will have a higher chance of getting heat damage. Unless you're a pro like PinkSkates.

Ramya

I'm 3c/4a with cottony fine strands and it doesn't take much heat to straighten my hair or much to damage it. It will kind of revert a little whenever moisture is near but it will take it a week to fully revert even after washing. :confused:

ajoyfuljoy

Ajoyful,

Based on science, I would agree with you. Cysteine is the amino acid that is responsible for making curly hair curly. It is this amino acid that is broken down when the hair is relaxed. The chemical in relaxer breaks the disulfide bones in cysteine. This is why relaxed heads especially want to have protein in their regimen somewhere, to provide some semblance of the amino acids that were broken down.

Heat also denatures the proteins in hair.--and straighter hair would have less cysteine than curly hair. This is not saying that straight hair does not have protein--all hair is made of keratin and therefore all hair has cysteine in it but straighter hair doesn't have as much as curlier hair. But I think the straightness of straight hair helps to keep it in tact. It isn't as "angular" and so it can be mechanically managed without a lot of pulling and pressure. Also, the straightness as we've always heard, allows the natural scalp oils to flow down the length of the strand. Because curly hair doesn't have those same characteristics, it does possess a fragile quality.

When straight hair is damaged by heat, initially it may be hard to tell because straight hair is already straight (it doesn't have any curl to lose). Heat damaged curly hair shows signs of this damage by losing some of its curliness. So with all that said, yeah I can see how your theory would be correct. :up:

Dang you snapped! I haven't heard the word "denatured" since freshman chemistry! no seriously, I love when the science heads come in and give their opinion :yep:

cuteazz1

I can't speak for anyone except myself,but I am natural(nearing 2 years) and around my 1 year mark I flat ironed a small section of hair near my ear.That area is STILL straight(well maybe 2 ish).I am 4A/B and very thick.I thought that my hair could take it but lesson learned and NO more heat for my napps.:nono:

I think that it's an individual thing and/or the temperature/type of heat used.

ajoyfuljoy

I'm 3c/4a with cottony fine strands and it doesn't take much heat to straighten my hair or much to damage it. It will kind of revert a little whenever moisture is near but it will take it a week to fully revert even after washing. :confused:

Wow, that is a very interesting contrast with my hair. You bring up a good point. I notice a lot of women say that it takes a certain amount of washing or time for their texture to return.

But with full 4a,b,c, whatever hair, it seems that the texture kind of sneaks up on you like

BAM!

It's just back with a quickness, cheesing and smiling :lachen:

ajoyfuljoy

I can't speak for anyone except myself,but I am natural(nearing 2 years) and around my 1 year mark I flat ironed a small section of hair near my ear.That area is STILL straight(well maybe 2 ish).I am 4A/B and very thick.I thought that my hair could take it but lesson learned and NO more heat for my napps.:nono:

I think that it's an individual thing and/or the temperature/type of heat used.

Wow that is very interesting :blush: I am learning so much from this thread and I hope others are too. I guess you need more variables besides texture to determine how much heat someone's hair can take.

Maybe it has more to do with thick strands versus fine strands (layers of the cuticle)?

Keep it coming ladies :yep:

anon123

IDK.

Personally, I think they complain about heat damage more because they see it more. By the time we recongize heat damage, the hair is already broken (I got another theory on why that is though).
As someone else already mentioned, it does have alot to do with whether your hair is fine or thick too. I think in order for us to look at who is getting heat damage more often, we need to look at whether their hair is fine or thick, their regime, and how they use the heat.

that was going to be my first guess. back when my hair was "trained" a.k.a. "heat damaged", it didn't look much different. That is, there were no straight pieces in my hair, it still was overall kinky, just slightly looser kink. Maybe the looser textures can see the loss of curl more easily than I could see a slight de-kinkifying.

mscocoface

Yep. I'm a 4z and it takes A LOT to straighten my hair.

When I was natural the stylist would blow dry it press it (a usually two times) then flat/iron and then bump it.

I feel you on this one. I was all day at the salon

Also with my type of hair not only does it take more heat but it holds water and heat so my drying time was crazy and the stylists were forever screaming ouch because my hair held the heat for a long time.

To get it straight = Standing Dryer, blow dryer, pressing come, flat iron and a bump. :blush::ohwell:

Not only was the stylist exhausted when they would be finished but my butt wound be numb if I did not have them take a break! Geesh!

ajoyfuljoy

that was going to be my first guess. back when my hair was "trained" a.k.a. "heat damaged", it didn't look much different. That is, there were no straight pieces in my hair, it still was overall kinky, just slightly looser kink. Maybe the looser textures can see the loss of curl more easily than I could see a slight de-kinkifying.

Well I have a whole lot more learning to do about what it means to be natural, kinky-headed and damaged. Thanks Mwedzi for that insight!

gymfreak336

See, this also goes back to the regime. Just speaking about what products each head tends to use (not just here in LHCF universe) many of the products the 4s go for have slighter higher pH's on average since everyone wants this cottony soft feeling type hair. Acid products as we all know help seal the cuticle but they also help balance the ration of alpha to beta bonds which increases hairs strength and elasticity. This all translates into how your hair will respond to chemical and physical stressors. If the hair is not properly acidicifed, yeah it will feel soft but as soon as you test it via heat styling, the weakness that has been slowly simmering will be evident. This is why when I hear people say, I flat ironed my hair once and I saw all of these splits, I always ask them first what have you been using. Heat is very revealing...the real health of your hair will show once it has been heat styled.

qdeez21

I fit somewhere in the 2s/3s and find strong heat to be very damaging even if used very little.....not only that but when trying to where it curly Im left with straight ends/tips. Something that did help me was doing the BKT's....with that I was able to flat iron/curl my hair as much as I wanted w/ little to no damage. They are too expensive for me to keep up with now......but I swear that stuff put some magic coat protection on my strands.

ajoyfuljoy

See, this also goes back to the regime. Just speaking about what products each head tends to use (not just here in LHCF universe) many of the products the 4s go for have slighter higher pH's on average since everyone wants this cottony soft feeling type hair. Acid products as we all know help seal the cuticle but they also help balance the ration of alpha to beta bonds which increases hairs strength and elasticity. This all translates into how your hair will respond to chemical and physical stressors. If the hair is not properly acidicifed, yeah it will feel soft but as soon as you test it via heat styling, the weakness that has been slowly simmering will be evident. This is why when I hear people say, I flat ironed my hair once and I saw all of these splits, I always ask them first what have you been using. Heat is very revealing...the real health of your hair will show once it has been heat styled.

Gym, when is your book coming out?

ajoyfuljoy

I fit somewhere in the 2s/3s and find strong heat to be very damaging even if used very little.....not only that but when trying to where it curly Im left with straight ends/tips. Something that did help me was doing the BKT's....with that I was able to flat iron/curl my hair as much as I wanted w/ little to no damage. They are too expensive for me to keep up with now......but I swear that stuff put some magic coat protection on my strands.

Have you ever used Sabino Moisture Block? You might find that it coats your hair in a way that heat can work for you too.