Myths about Natural or Growing Natural Hair

NubianAngel

I dont rely on just oil for my hair...I use it for my scalp and for "slip" and protection before shampooing. After I wash I use butter/pomade.

Once of the best lessons I have ever learned since going natural is that butters used on WET hair is the BOMB!

One day i'm going to try Carol's Daughter. Ahh, so many products, so little income

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
Sadly, I believed some of these myths. Have you ladies noticed (especially in the D.C. area) more ladies sporting their natural hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's nothing new. I think natural hair is VERY popular in this area. I would even so far as to assert that 6 out of 10 women are natural. It's a beautiful thing. And if you decide to go natural, you'll begin to notice it more.

MissMarie23

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I found that while my relaxed hair loved and drank up oils (WGO, Hot Six) when I applied them to wet hair, the same products just sit on top of my natural hair looking greasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol..same here. my hair HATES oils with a passion. just sits there and make it greasy and doesnt do a thing. i use creamy moisturizers such as shea butter, carol's daughter healhty hair butter and have been making my own hair butters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabrielle, what do you use to make your hair butters?

gabrielle2

i order my shea butter from the crabapple soap factory (1 lb for 4.95) i order my other butters from ..from nature with love..
my current hair butter my hair is LOVING...
75% shea butter
20% mango butter
5% olive butter
1 tablespoon of honey
10 drops of rosemary EO
5 drops or so of almond oil FO (fragrance oil)

i melt the butters in a container (placed in a pot of low boiling water) add the other ingredients..mix well..let solidfy.

basically, i am playing around with various combinations. (the little plastic containers are cheap on both of those sites)

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse said:
Naturals.. Could you be a little more honest in your responses or elaborate?

I mean I'm hearing Myth, then a breif response and while most might be, some are not myths but VALID, truths. I think you all have just mastered the art so to speak. But if truth be told, it is hard to manage. People in Corporate, DO look at us differently and guys, the majority DO still like long hair.

So YES, there is percentage that have mastered, but please tell the whole truth. I personally know some people who did not get "the job" cause of how the fro is perceived by corporate america. I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS RIGHT.. Please read this again before responding I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS RIGHT.

But it is the truth nonetheless. So I think we teach each other how we overcome these obstacles and strenghten/encourage those considering not straighting and not offer false hope, but be honest with them.

Lastly, it is not BRAINWASHING, everyone is not ignorant, I have a degree and am very educated and I've straighten, not due to BRAINWASHING that straight is better, but due to the sole fact, and I mean fact that I like to comb/groom my hair and unstraighten does take WORK. Please be honest ladies.

For those that take posts the wrong way, please don't. Just be honest. Love ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone is being honest, it's just not YOUR truth. If you think "nappy" hair is hard work, it will be because you will be fighting it's "nappiness". I swear it takes NO TIME to do my hair. I con-wash it, apply some product and I am DONE, it is not as hard to manage as some people who do a lot to their relaxed hair.

Secondly, are some people biased against natural hair in the workplace, yes, but are all people...NOT BY A LONG SHOT and also most people who oppose "nappy" hair are the people who have it themselves and straighten it (sad, but true).

Thirdly, a college degree doesn't make anyone any less brainwashed (not saying that you are, but your degree doesn't by default make you not).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and the most painful truth for me is that it was the relaxed sisters who rejected me when I went natural. This is the truth. I'm not trying to start a debate again with relaxed v. natural. However, it is STILL the reality that many blacks have issues with nappy hair. Not ALL, but many. It's changing, though. I see beautiful nappies everywhere! It is changing.

MissMarie23

[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said:
i order my shea butter from the crabapple soap factory (1 lb for 4.95) i order my other butters from ..from nature with love..
my current hair butter my hair is LOVING...
75% shea butter
20% mango butter
5% olive butter
1 tablespoon of honey
10 drops of rosemary EO
5 drops or so of almond oil FO (fragrance oil)

i melt the butters in a container (placed in a pot of low boiling water) add the other ingredients..mix well..let solidfy.

basically, i am playing around with various combinations. (the little plastic containers are cheap on both of those sites)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your answer and your quick reply

That sounds great, and it gives me a good place to start.

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse said:
[ QUOTE ]
gabrielle2 said: but people are simply disspelling the myth that...you CANT get a man wearing nappy hair/twas/afros..etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, but are they saying that you CANT? Or that the Majority still like long hair?

That's what I mean by sharing the whole story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Natural women can have long hair. In fact my hair has never been longer or healthier. Do men generally prefer long hair. Maybe, but it's not always a given. Do men generally prefer straight hair. Well, maybe, but it's not really a given. I've dated; still have men looking at me when I didn't they would. If I come across as non-confident because I have natural hair and I'm expecting a negative reaction, then that's what I'll get. Now that I am carrying myself in a more positive way, men ARE looking and they ARE interested.

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't see Relaxed threads that compare "myths" or carry as much controversy.

[/ QUOTE ] That is probably because their are no relaxed "myths" in which black people put down people who choose to wear their hair in it's unrelaxed state. (not saying that you did that, but people do) Also, it's not controversial to (most) black people to wear a relaxer, but it is to wear your natural hair. sad, but true

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply brilliant!!!

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
Mindy- It may be a good idea to start another thread on the Myths of growing relaxed hair or experiences with relaxed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in knowing what myths of relaxed hair are. Very interesting indeed!

loverofnaps71

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
Sorry Ladies!

Now I use curl activator gel, small amounts of rinse-out conditioner and/or creamy leave-ins. The only time I use oil is for overnight treatments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I've stopped using the oils too much because I'm always afraid that someone will touch my hair or I'll go see the doctor and leave a big ole oil stain on the seat! LOL!!!