Name a HAIR GROWTH PRODUCT that damaged your hair!

Mahalialee4

What GROWTH PRODUCT have you tried that actually damaged your hair so that it broke off, damaged your follicles, or just totally failed you in the "growth" part"? left your hair thinner and shorter? This has not happened to me yet, but I am curious. bonjour

Isis

I don't know if it's considered a "hair growth product" but Infusium 23 was breaking my hair off when I first used it right after discovering the hair boards. I was just learning how to rollerset and it left my rollerset so bouncy and shiny. But something about the protein content broke my hair off each time I combed it through. I understand some of the ladies have success with it so it must depend on the hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I misused the aphogee treatment that was supposed to get hard. I fell asleep under my dryer and woke up with major damage. it was then that I decided to never use that kind of heat treatment again on my head. I'm just not able to stay awake under a hooded dryer.:ohwell:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
DAMN THAT INFUSIUM 23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was using that %&^#*@ every day!!! I took pride in the fact that I had no "Left-Over" hairs, as I call them. Those hairs are the ones that when you do a ponytail or bun, don't stay in the scruchi. After using this blasted product, I have a few left-over strands :wallbash:

I apologize in advance if it works for you.

Phoenix

Surge did a little damage to my hairline but mostly it damaged my scalp. It gave me huge scabs (not flakes.. SCABS) all along my hairline and I suffered a little breakage when they flaked off.

Cichelle

Infusium 23. :nono: :mad: I think that is one of the worst things I've ever put in my hair, as far as leave-ins/conditioners go. My hair was hard and breaking. Never again.

Jaelin

ThickHair said:
Another vote for Infusium 23 it made my hair feel like straw.
Oh my! my mother's words were 'it's feels like rope' that was the end of my daily sprays with infusium 23, and I gave up my carrot oil too. Too much protein and I just don't mix well.

ETA: Everything I have have taken for growth, biotin, surge, mtg etc. has worked for me. Biotin by itself made my acne act up. I have since taken other things that contained biotin and haven't had the reaction I did when I supplemented it by itself.

Last edited:

wadadligyal

Surge gave me alot of breakage but once i stopped using it and went abck to my regular regimen my hair was fine. I've seen others get great results from surge but it did not work for me!!!!!!!!!

angellazette

SO basically it looks like...too much protein!

I didn't like Infusium 23 either...I was young when I used it though, maybe just entering high school...never used it again.

beyondcute

I absolutely abhor Aphogee. I will neva use it again (well maybe..... :lol:)It made my hair hard even after depeconditioning it afterwards. Ill stick with my regular condish.

BerrySweet

hot_pepper96 said:
God that Infusim 23...even when I diluted it it still made my hair hard!
I'll second that! I tried diluting it, mixing it with another typr of Infusim. Nothing worked-it just sucks.

Plenty

DDtexlaxd said:
I misused the aphogee treatment that was supposed to get hard. I fell asleep under my dryer and woke up with major damage. it was then that I decided to never use that kind of heat treatment again on my head. I'm just not able to stay awake under a hooded dryer.:ohwell:
This was a MAJOR setback for me as well. Even though I used this the right way.

Before this product my hair was Absolutely perfect:ohwell:

Last edited:

MsKendra

Jaelin said:
ETA: Biotin by itself made my acne act up.

Biotin made my hair grow but I couldnt take the breakouts...still trying to recover from them. :ohwell: It made me lose weight as well.

what products are you using that contain biotin?

Jaelin

I took a multi-vitamin that had 33% daily value and right now I take a co-enzyme q10 pill that has 25mcg of biotin, it's only 8% daily value.

I have a bottle of hair and skin vitamins, that I am going to use at some point, which have a couple hundred percent more and I'll see how it goes.

shawniegee

New Cut for '09
MTG didn't exactly damage my hair but I had so much new growth, that I couldn't handle it. I had a lot of breakage as a result.

LadyZ

BerrySweet said:
I'll second that! I tried diluting it, mixing it with another typr of Infusim. Nothing worked-it just sucks.

I agree... My hair was hard and shedding like crazy from that stuff...:mad:

OK, I was going to make a separate thread regarding this product, but this damaging stuff will fit in right here... ScalpMed! Curse that stuff! I just purchased it last week to counter the thinning on the crown of my head.

The website and infomercial said that those who had difficulties with regular minoxidil could use this product- it was supposed to be milder somehow. Well two days of using this and I have terrible oozing from my scalp. Can't comb my hair, just rinsing with water and applying cortaid to the affected areas.
Whoa can you say MAD!! I know it will be alright in a few weeks (had a similar problem with regular monoxidil a couple years back). Its just that everything was going really well for me- growth, good hair days...then I saw a bit more shedding than usual and saw that *@!@@##$ infomercial! And thought, hmm a gentle system with no irritation- the PJ in me won out. Now I am so sorry! Beware ladies, if you are sensitive to monoxidil (active ingredient in Rogaine) don't believe the TV & online hype that this ScalpMed product is different and gentle. Its the same thing in a different box!

ekomba

infusium 23 and aphogee i threw both bottles and they were full right after:mad: never ever again my hair just hates them