Broken hair catches Up in length with non damaged areas?

SilverSurfer

I read people saying that their hair broke off or was shorter than the rest but then it grew back and became the same length as the other non damaged hair. My question is how is this possible? If your hair broke off and as it begins to grows to 1 inch...isn't the longer healthy part also growing 1 inch; so how is it possible for the broken hair to grow back and catup in length with the rest of the none broken/damages hair?

gorgeoushair

I've wondered this too myself. I have broken/shorter parts although it is growing it hasn't caught up with the rest. I'm wondering how long is it going to take.

Crissi

I think that as it grows, they trim the hair, then it eventually catches up over time

HTH

Crissi, x

Honi

There is no board.
This is interesting but I know for a fact that I don't get the same amount of growth all over my head so I'm puzzled as well.

There was so much of a difference in my broken areas and the rest of my hair that I had to trim/cut the rest of my hair until it was even. The back grows slower than the rest so hoping it would catch up was not an option.

Last edited:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I have had this experience..well kind of..when I had hilites in the front and sides of my hair, my hair became very dry & damaged..I cut off almost all the hilites which left my front/sides considerably shorter than my back..well not quite a year later the front/sides have really grown out..not as long as the back but almost..lets just say I no longer have the "Mullet" look

adw425

My crown hair was only about an inch long, but it has grown seven inches in the last 14 months, but so has the rest of my hair...My crown hair is not likely to catch up with the hair in back unless I cut the other, which I am not going to do.

jasmin

I did like CandiceC. My hair will never be the same length but no way was I cutting all my hair to the length of the broken hair like stylist would do.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
It's kind of hard to explain, but this has happened to me. I don't think my broken hair necessarily "caught up" with the longer hair, but as I started taking care of it, it blended better because the ends were healthier, so that it seems as if the broken hair is the same length as the other hair.

Crissi

CandiceC said:
There was so much of a difference in my broken areas and the rest of my hair that I had to trim/cut the rest of my hair until it was even. The back grows slower than the rest so hoping it would catch up was not an option.

OT: But girl you've made BEAUTIFUL progress!, you can seethe major improvements, your hair looks great!

Ayeshia

As another poster said, the hair eventually blends in with the rest...kind of like when you grow out bangs...at first its very noticable during the growout phase but after a while it does blend in :yep:....i doubt anyone would cut all of their hair to the length of their bangs to have even hair :lol: I have a small section of hair that is about hmmm 4 inches shorter than the rest of my hair, (gum mishap :look:) but it will fill in and no one seems to notice it anyway.

OT....candice your progress is amazing...congrats :love:

HoneyDew

Crissi said:
I think that as it grows, they trim the hair, then it eventually catches up over time

HTH

Crissi, x

This is what I have been doing for quite some time now. My hair got thicker and thicker each time.

I left a weave in to long and it got matted underneath. I had some 2-3 inch pieces and then 7-8 inch pieces when I was done getting the mats out. :( That was about 2 years ago. I did not start trying to really fix it until about a year ago, though ( At first, I was just making it worse with heat and bad products).

I love it! This board can throw you off though, because so many people seem focused on length only. You have to stop thinking about that and think about the health and thickness 1st.

Last edited:

locabouthair

HoneyDew said:
You have to stop thinking about that and think about the health and thickness 1st.

This is what I'm doing now. I really want the length but I rather short hair with thick ends than longer hait with c thru ends.

Isis

CandiceC said:
OT: I love your hair and progress CandiceC! You are doing a great job, it's beautiful! :up:

SilverSurfer

Ayeshia said:
As another poster said, the hair eventually blends in with the rest...kind of like when you grow out bangs...at first its very noticable during the growout phase but after a while it does blend in :yep:....i doubt anyone would cut all of their hair to the length of their bangs to have even hair :lol: I have a small section of hair that is about hmmm 4 inches shorter than the rest of my hair, (gum mishap :look:) but it will fill in and no one seems to notice it anyway.

OT....candice your progress is amazing...congrats :love:

I think this might be what it is. When they say it caught up with the rest of their hair maybe what they really mean that is now blended well together that one can't notice the difference

Wishin4BSL

I want my crown and nape to catch up with my APL hair, so I'm going to cut until it's even at APL then go from there.