Natural 4a/4b getting kinky twists

naijaprincess09

Hello all! I am pretty new to the forum. My last relaxer was in July 2009. I will post some pics soon. I'll be getting kinky twists tomorrow but am nervous about my hair breaking off when I take them out. I've had sew-ins and taken them down with no problem, but it kind of freaks me out taking down individual twists. Back in Jan. I had some but my hair (mainly relaxed ends) tangled up pretty bad and I b/c'ed at that time. I think it was mainly do to me detangling with my fingers and not a comb.:blush: (lazy I know)

Is there any out there who has 4a/4b texture and gets kinky twists and have no problems with breakage? How did you take them out and how long were they left in?

Thanks!!

wednesday

i used to wear kinky twist alot. I just used Janet kinky bulk hair and moisturized my hair daily with African pride braid spray/ S-Curl and i washed my scalp once a week. I didn't experience any breakage when it was time to take them down.

Last edited:

afrikurl

Kinky twists are one of my favorite protective hairstyles because they look like my real hair and they look better the older they get. With that said you can certainly use them to grow your hair. Checkout beautifulbrownbabydol on you tube. She wore them for two years and her hair is fabulous. I moisturized with briad spray and curl activator. I cowashed every two weeks and left them in for 6-8 weeks. When you take them down, remove the build up with your hands a la growafrohairlong.com then comb through your hair before washing. This will prevent matting and tangling. Give your self some goos deep conditioning both before and after they are put in.

Nonie

Mook's Hair does her own kinky twists and I don't believe she gets breakage from them. TBH, I think when it comes to extensions you do well learning to do them yourself because you can maintain them in ways that protects your hair and you can feel during the installation when the pull is too much or the weight of the hair too much for your own and control that too.

Phaer

I Love kinky twists, they are the easiest and fasters way to get my hair to grow. Always make sure to keep it moisturize, like evryone says. I also spray a mixture of Tea Tree, EVOO, Vitamin E oil on my hair after I take out my braids and before I put any water on it; I then use my fingers to try to remove any buildups or knots. It doesn't hurt to leave it on for a little bit.

naijaprincess09

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I got them done last week by a different lady who works in the shop I go to because my usual lady was booked. She did something weird that I had never seen done before. She had scissors and was cutting stray hairs. When she started I told her not to because I didn't want my hair cut. She assured me that she was only cutting the stray ends on the kane. hair. Oh well we will see when I take it down.:ohwell:

ms.blue

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I got them done last week by a different lady who works in the shop I go to because my usual lady was booked. She did something weird that I had never seen done before. She had scissors and was cutting stray hairs. When she started I told her not to because I didn't want my hair cut. She assured me that she was only cutting the stray ends on the kane. hair. Oh well we will see when I take it down.:ohwell:

When I got kinky twists done and the cut the strays hairs off when I removed them, a little section was considerably shorter than the rest. She cut a chunk of my hair hair but since the section was so small, it was not noticable at all. Next time, tell them not to do it.