Natural bun with bangs?

CocoBunny

Does any one wear their natural hair in a bun, puff or ponytail AND have bangs? I'm bunning for winter and tho I like the pulled back look, I actually look much better with bangs, so I am looking for suggestions or pictures or links of curly or natural hair bunned, puffed or ponies with bangs (if such a style exists).

TIA!

Nonie

Well, I made sideswept bangs using twists when I wore my puff. Don't know if they count. :look:

mahogany_horizons

YOUR HAIR IS SOOOO THICK AND GORGEOUS! True proof that natural hair is beautiful in ANY TEXTURE. How can you style your hair in so many ways without tangles/breakage?

I am 3c and probably 4a in tiny parts of the crown...one of my major deterrents for going natural is how MEGA HARD it is for me to detangle my curly new growth once I am like 10 to 11 weeks post!! I fear that, if I went natural I would loose so much length due to detangling.

I know SEVERAL natural heads, with beautiful curly hair, mostly 3c, and some 4a, and their hair has been at a stand still for years (even when pressed out). They say they loose a lot of hair due to tangles, or breakage....but your hair is so long, thick and healthy...thank you for sharing your secrets on LHCF..your hair is gorgeous!!

anon123

YOUR HAIR IS SOOOO THICK AND GORGEOUS! True proof that natural hair is beautiful in ANY TEXTURE. How can you style your hair in so many ways without tangles/breakage?

I am 3c and probably 4a in tiny parts of the crown...one of my major deterrents for going natural is how MEGA HARD it is for me to detangle my curly new growth once I am like 10 to 11 weeks post!! I fear that, if I went natural I would loose so much length due to detangling.

I know SEVERAL natural heads, with beautiful curly hair, mostly 3c, and some 4a, and their hair has been at a stand still for years (even when pressed out). They say they loose a lot of hair due to tangles, or breakage....but your hair is so long, thick and healthy...thank you for sharing your secrets on LHCF..your hair is gorgeous!!

:blush: Wow, thank you! I struggle with tangling big time. I am getting better at it, slowly but surely. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of styles I try, just with how prone to tangling those styles are for my hair. I have a suspicion for slightly looser hair types who actually can comb through their hair (I can't, really) that, because they can, they do, and they lose hair that way and don't feel it. The comb is responsible for at least 80% of the breakage I do have, cursed comb! *shaking fist* Since it's so hard for me to do with my hair, I comb once a week max.

Nonie, I love those twistie bangs, I did some, too, with my bun, but mine weren't all cool and swept to the side like that.

ps: I retained 3/4" last month!

Leeda.the.Paladin

:blush: Wow, thank you! I struggle with tangling big time. I am getting better at it, slowly but surely. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the number of styles I try, just with how prone to tangling those styles are for my hair. I have a suspicion for slightly looser hair types who actually can comb through their hair (I can't, really) that, because they can, they do, and they lose hair that way and don't feel it. The comb is responsible for at least 80% of the breakage I do have, cursed comb! *shaking fist* Since it's so hard for me to do with my hair, I comb once a week max.

Nonie, I love those twistie bangs, I did some, too, with my bun, but mine weren't all cool and swept to the side like that.

:shocked: Whoa!

CocoBunny

Side swpet bangs are my personal faves!!!!! I don't know how to braid but if I did, this would be one of the styles I'd wear. thank you for posting the pics.

Well, I made sideswept bangs using twists when I wore my puff. Don't know if they count. :look:

trj1922

I've never taken pics, but I have done it. Nonie's picture illustrates the basic principle of wearing very curly or kinky natural hair with bangs. You don't cut the bangs short, you side sweep them and leave them long. Also, you may need to twist them or curl them around your finger to avoid a big puff upside the front of your head. If you do those things, you won't go wrong.

mahogany_horizons

Keep doing what you are doing, because you are great at it! You will be a hair idol for me if I ever go natural. I suspect that is what is happening to my natural friends, like you said they are probably breaking off the hair with the comb and not feeling it. I don't think I can deal with my curly bush.......LOL....maybe one day, but I am so glad you have figured out what works for your hair, it's gorgeous.

CocoBunny

I've never taken pics, but I have done it. Nonie's picture illustrates the basic principle of wearing very curly or kinky natural hair with bangs. You don't cut the bangs short, you side sweep them and leave them long. Also, you may need to twist them or curl them around your finger to avoid a big puff upside the front of your head. If you do those things, you won't go wrong.

Do you think a styling gel should be used to shape the bangs or are gels as a rule damaging?

trj1922

Do you think a styling gel should be used to shape the bangs or are gels as a rule damaging?

I think gels are fine if they are alcohol free and you're not brushing into a tight style. You may need a gel or other styling product to weight the hair and avoid frizz. You can also try stuff like Blended Beauty, Kinky-Curly, Curls, etc. that is specifically designed to define curls in highly textured hair.