Natural...with BANGS?

zzirvingj

I'm thinking about cutting bangs in the front of my hair so when I wear it straight, I've got some sort of style going on. I need a change. Do any naturals have bangs?

My main concern about getting bangs cut is that if they cut it too short, I'm scared that when I wash my hair it the bang section won't be long enough to fit in a bun anymore :perplexed I have MAJOR shrinkage.

Have any naturals got bangs cut and experienced this problem? Maybe I should just get a few layers and avoid the bang thing altogether....:ohwell:

sweetwhispers

the front of my hair is shorter than the rest and it takes a whole heap of gel to get it into a bun ( which is why i do not do them).

*Happily Me*

I'm not natural... but if you're able to get the bang into a bun, then i don't think it's a bang anymore, if that makes sense.

When i wear my hair back, i usually have to pin the hair down.

guesswho

sweetwhispers said:
the front of my hair is shorter than the rest and it takes a whole heap of gel to get it into a bun ( which is why i do not do them).

I agree with this, my co-worker did that and not even gel got that down she regretted doing it, it was just to poofy hth

CurleeDST

I am natural and I would bypass the bang concept. Perhaps when you straighten it you can pin the front so it looks like a sideswept bang or something.

I think if and when you wear it in its naturally coily/curly state it will poof up and require a lot of manipulation to get it to lay down like you may want with a pony puff.

I wouldn't do it.

zzirvingj

DSylla said:
I'm not natural... but if you're able to get the bang into a bun, then i don't think it's a bang anymore, if that makes sense.

Yep, that makes alot of since. You guys are right-the bang thing would't be too smart. I'm going to look online for some styles that I like. Maybe I'll just get some nice big bouncy curls. I just need a change.

bLackButtaFly

Bre from antm has bangs you should look at some of her pics. Also one of my friends from college has very curly 3c hair and she got bangs, they were cute, but she said if it wasn't straight she didn't caref or them. I have much shorter hair in the front then the back, but not bang length, but I've been considering getting them too. I think overall it would be a pain, and I would sugggest layers instead.

Isis

DSylla said:

OT: I love your ponytail with bangs picture DSylla! :yep:

Isis

zzirvingj said:
I'm thinking about cutting bangs in the front of my hair so when I wear it straight, I've got some sort of style going on. I need a change. Do any naturals have bangs?

My main concern about getting bangs cut is that if they cut it too short, I'm scared that when I wash my hair it the bang section won't be long enough to fit in a bun anymore :perplexed I have MAJOR shrinkage.

Have any naturals got bangs cut and experienced this problem? Maybe I should just get a few layers and avoid the bang thing altogether....:ohwell:
Nay has natural waist length (or longer) 4a hair and looks beautiful in her bangs.:)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
turnergirl has natural hair and cut some bangs into her hair a while back. You may want to check with her. ;)

turnergirl

I love love love my bangs but I am mostly a protective styler so the bangs are not a problem. Even in my wash and go, my bangs are great. I just get tired of seeing forehead all of the time.

I recognize that this look is not for everyone and it may prevent you from getting a bun or something but I avoided having this problem by making the bangs very thin. Because they do not go back really far into my hairline, I have no problem getting a low puff, bun or anything. I cut them back in Decemeber so they are a lot longer but I loved them when they were short. I have a lot of pics with bangs in my album.

http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/the-fifth-year/march-may/n53301177302178315257.html
http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/the-fifth-year/march-may/n53300785302074559391.html
http://public.fotki.com/Turnergirl/the-fifth-year/dec-feb/n53301177301635712506.html
In the last picture my bangs are just blended back into my longer hair for the afro. It is really easy but only because I did not cut them really deep into my hair.

Last edited:

mermaid

I had natural bangs, but I ironed my hair a lot back then. I can't even remember what the bangs looked like when I air dryed, I know they didn't make it back into a ponytail.
I liked the look, but I have let them grow along with the rest of my hair to get it one length. (bangs still have a way to go.)

ClassicBeauty

I've been thinking about getting a bang for a while now, and I have the same hesitations as listed in this thread. I wear my hair flat ironed most of the time, but on rainy days (like today:( ) it's usually in a braided bun. I have to use a litle gel anyway, so I don't think it will be that much different. My last cut was in layers, but they have really grown out a lot.
I think that my next thing will be bangs. Since I've joined this site, I've decided not to cut much in length, so bangs may trick my mind into thinking I have a new cut.:lol: (Every spring I want a cut and some color. It's an internal struggle!:grin: )