Natural hair and protein

KinkyCurly

Should those with natural hair use protein conditioners?

I purchased a protein conditioner after reading about its positive effects from the members on this board. Just last night I read that protein is important for strengthening RELAXED hair, but there was no mention of natural hair. The article seemed to suggest that those with natural hair should focus on moisturizing conditioners.

Ladies what are your thoughts on this issue? Are there ladies on this board who use protein conditioners and can vouch for their effects on natural hair?

amy1234

I think that its important to use a protein conditioner every now and then but not use it as often as you would if your hair is relaxed. The make up of hair is mostly protein (I think its 70-80%) I use a protein conditioner to repair any damage that might be caused from every day styling and stress that has been put on the hair. I also notice that my hair is a lot easier to detangle after giving it a protein treatment (followed by a moisture cond.)

soulchild

I wanna know too
And also what products. TIA

amy1234

every 2-3 months, usually when my hair feels weak and feels like its breaking when I comb it . For the strongest protein treatment, I will use the Aphogee treatment for damaged hair then follow with the moisture balance cond.... bye-bye

amy1234

you should give it a try but also remember to use a moisturizing conditioner right after you wash out the protein!

pookeylou

I use protein conditioners because I still have about 5 inches of relaxed hair on top of 2-3 inches of natural hair. Since I want to make sure that the relaxed ends do not snap off before I am ready to cut them...then I use the protein condition to strengthen the relaxed ends. So far, with my conditioning washes 3 times a week, and wearing my hair in a style very similar to my natural roots...I have not had any problems with breakage.

SVT

I'm starting to use protein conditioners more often after reading a couple of threads about too soft hair being a cause of shedding.

I was concerned about the amount of shedding I've been experiencing recently but the protein treatments (Aubrey GPB) seemed to have helped.

KinkyCurly

SVT:
How do you like the Aubrey GPB? I saw it in the store, but passed on it because I was unsure. What have the results been? Do you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner?

miss_brown

I use got2b Smooth Reconstructor Emergency One Minute Repair (I bought mine at Target). It's a good price (around $5), and it gives great results - strong, moisturized hair without being stiff. It's a pretty mild protein, so I don't think it's even really necessary to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner, but I still do out of habit.

I think naturals do need protein, but we must be EXTRA careful to follow up with a good, deep, moisturizing conditioner to ensure breakage-free detangling. I'm kind of scared of the Aphogee (only because even when I was relaxed, this made my hair really hard - even after using the balancing condition), but I think that if you find a mild protein and follow with a good conditioner, you should be fine.

pookeylou

Yes...all of it. I use Proclaim Cholesterol conditioner and Pantene has a leave in called "Pantene Pro-V Daily Strengthening Treatment." I have no shedding and no breakage. I Deep condition on Tues, Thurs and Saturday...but since I have begun using the Pantene...I am only going to deep condition on Tues and Saturday.

You can check out my routine here:

http://public.fotki.com/Pookeylou/

pw:In Transition

Lucia

I've been using Aphogee as part of my haircare regime when I was trying to counteract previous damage but I've kept on using it every 2 months (the bottle says 1 every 6 weeks no sooner) I follow up with their balancing moisterizing con, and then cholesterol dp-con. BTW I am natural.

soulchild

pookeylou, thanks. I was planning on buying the Pantene Daily Strengthening and some type of Cholesterol. btw, your hair is so pretty

Lucia, im too chicken to try the Aphogee lol. Maybe I will try it one of these days

FineChyna

hmmmm although i am transitioning i still use protein to minimize shedding and breakage and then follow up with a leave in moisterizer and keep my hair moisterized until the next wash. so far when i haven't had any trouble and i really like my protein shampoo/cond.

am i really doing damage to my hair?

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
pookeylou, thanks. I was planning on buying the Pantene Daily Strengthening and some type of Cholesterol. btw, your hair is so pretty

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Much thanks for the love.

pookeylou

I say "if it aint broke...dont fix it" Your hair isn't shedding, isn't snapping and breaking...then you must be doing something right.

DDHair

I am kind of like pookeylou, I still am transitioning, I have half natural/half relaxed. Therefore, I use an abundance of protein conditioners, I don't think I would have it any other way, I am not sure if I am getting any major results, because I usually just put my hair in ponytails underneath a wig. But I think when pressed it does look healthy. I wash my hair once a week typically with the following conditioners, (I leave the conditioners on longer than the recommended time, I did that even when I had a perm):
Lustrasilk Cholesterol Creme w/placenta & jojoba oil
Gueye Conditioners (www.renuherbs.com)
Fantasia IC Super Concentrated Reconstruction One Minute Intensive Treatment
Abba Recoup (bought about 3 weeks ago)
And I did use the got2bsosmooth one minute emergency repair creme, but I ran out
3 of these products have biotin in them.
I use 3 shampoos that have biotin
Fantasia IC Lemon (Fantasia IC products usually have biotin in them, I like that)
Gueye Detangling Shampoo
Nexxus Biotin Shampoo

I also use sprays that have proteins in them, many of them help to moisturize and detangle. And have biotin in them too, one of them is a Fantasia IC product.

Lucia

[ QUOTE ]
FineChyna said:
hmmmm although i am transitioning i still use protein to minimize shedding and breakage and then follow up with a leave in moisterizer and keep my hair moisterized until the next wash. so far when i haven't had any trouble and i really like my protein shampoo/cond.

am i really doing damage to my hair?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends on how damaged your hair is, I used it more often when my hair was really damged then I waited longer for treatments. If you're transitioning though and your hair is doing good, keep on doing just that.
hth

G

Please excerise caution. When I use my Protein Cond when I have alot of new growth the new grow is severely dry. So, I stopped doing it.

I felt like straw and even though I kept puttin stuff there to moisturize there was a marked difference.

KittenLongPaw

I have natural hair and I like protein. It makes my hair strong and smooooth. I have been using Aubrey GBP and also Kiehl's Intensive Repairateur protein mask for something a little heavier. Both leave my hair soft and never brittle. I read in an article that said that curly hair needs protein because it helps to fill in the "gaps" in the hair, which can be rough otherwise, since the cuticle on curly hair is always raised. My hair definitely feels smoother and is much easier to detangle after a protein treatment, which I figure means less breakage and less damage.

Nx2brat

I've been using GPB over a year consistently as my deep conditioner and I haven't haven't any problems. It softens and strengthens, I always follow it w/ a moisturizing leave in (Bumble& Bumble). My bush hasn't given me any complaints and it's never brittle. I did try Aphogee when I first went natural...it is truly a reconstuctor I would not recommend it unless your hair is severly damaged.

Peachi

I have natural hair and I find that my hair doesn't like TOO much protein. I use the GPB but I have to be mindful not to leave it on too long otherwise my hair gets hard and annoying.

JazzAngel

I have tried the aphogee treatment for damaged hair and like it very much. These days I use a ripe avocado for strengthening my hair. After the first day my hair can be a bit stiff but after using Scurl or my own hair spray mix, the hair becomes very soft and moist.

BronzeBrown

I find that I can never tell whether or not reconstructors/protein-based deep conditioners are having any effect on my hair. Have the naturals here that reconstruct regularly seen an obvious improvement in the health of their hair due to the reconstructors?