Natural Hair Friendly Extensions Thread

Smiley79

The hair is still hanging in there...I have been a lazy bumb the last few days, so when I cowashed, it took me longer to detangle but the hair still bounced back beautifully! I am definitely stocking up on this hair.

Smiley79

Oh I forgot to add that I took the plunge and bought coarse yaki hair from KinkyCUrlyYaki.com during their back to school sale. Soooo, I cant wait to give that hair a try and see how it goes. Not sure when i'll be installing it since I'm still going strong with the curly hair. :)

s2fast4ya

s2fast4ya
CocoGlow

I purchased two bundles of kinky curly from mercys extensions. I had my hair stylist put highlights throughout the hair and make a custom wig for me. I love that I can take it off and moisturize my hair. I typically do a sew-in with my weaves, but Im soo glad I didnt with this hair. When I wash it and and let it air dry it takes days to dry! yes days! Can you imagine having that wet hair on your scalp that long if was sewn in? I usually blow dry it completely, then put it back on. Im ok with it but Im ready to go back to the longer straighter hair, this was a nice heat free break for the summer.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Update on my daughters hair. It's still going good. I've str8end this hair and washed which the curls did return. I just did a braidout on her hair last night. Pics included below...snuck them while she was doing homework. I'm still patiently waiting to get me some lol. I really like this hair overall. The only thing is I did not seal the wefts. I suggest you do so with any nice hair. It's still very full though. Hoping this hair will last her a full year so we shall see.

ForumRunner_20140826_164301.jpg

ForumRunner_20140826_164309.jpg

ForumRunner_20140826_164318.jpg

ForumRunner_20140826_164326.jpg

ForumRunner_20140826_164335.jpg

Smiley79

Mods can you please remove Mongolian Kinky Curly from my title because I do not want this topic to be limited to just curly hair...thanks

kandake

@Smiley79 ... Lovely!!

I have a synthetic Kinky-Curly Half Wig (Vanessa Brand - La Efrah Style) that I rock all the time .... it's beautiful and it actually looks very similar to the hair in the OP ... but it doesn't match my hair texture :sad:

My hair is Kinky alone, not curly so I can only really wear this half wig with my hair pushed back in the front with a headband (with NONE of my ends exposed)- there is no blending really and even the little bit of my hair that is exposed looks different to the trained eye. I've even brushed out the Kinky-Curls of the wig to make it look more natural and it does fool most people. Although it is the most natural looking wig I have found to date, it's still not the seamless blend that I dream of. :spinning:

I have searched high and low for a Kinky wig, not Kinky-Curly just Kinky ... one that resembles my afro ... one that I can manipulate like my hair into a Twist-out or Braid-out or just rock the Fro ... one that will blend seamlessly with my hair. The only one I found that was close enough was shaped like a giant round afro that was tall up top- not how I would wear my own hair :look:

I seems it is impossible to find a wig/halfwig that is low on sheen, low on curls, that does not have silky roots and curly ends, that does not look like a clown costume wig :rolleyes: If any of you ladies know of such a wig ... please, please, please share :yep:

CocoGlow
How were you styling your hair to blend with the wig? I ask because I wore that wig all last fall/winter and people thought it was my real hair. On daily basis people would come up to me asking how long I've been natural, what I used on my hair, etc. and I would have to tell them it was a wig.

My hair is 4b and I did a braid out in the front of my hair with perm rods on the end. It blended quite nicely.

As for the OP. Your hair looks really nice.

Smiley79

Final update. This is the Aliexpress Mongolian Kinky Hair shortly before I took it...almost got 2 months out of it. I will be ordering this again. It got better with age...a little harder to manage, more tangles and shedding but nothing out of this world. Cowashing and a denman brush is all you need. It hates products, so water is suffice. Its not hair that you will keep for generations and pass down to your kids, but it is a great budget friendly option for some kinky hair. :yep:

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

I'm mad at myself that it took me two go arounds with this hair to goetth is right, but good news, I have finally found out who to defrizzy hair and refresh curls.

Sprayed frizzy hair with water and a few drops of camellia oils., then a small amount of assuie moist and a few strokes of the brush (deman with every other row removed). and curls are back. Thisi s great when its windy and you don't have to wash your hair.

Smiley79

Queen Weave Beauty Deep Wave from Aliexpress
16,18,20 inches and a 12 inch closure.
Link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20-2...lor-Natural-Wave-Fast-delivery/900922460.html

This is a full wig with closure that I made last night! It was my first time sewing one, so needless to say, I was so nervous as I made it and then cut it to shape it up, lol.:cantlook:

So far I am absolutely LOVING this hair..definitely gonna be my summer hair! It's soft, natural looking, low-medium luster and the wave/curl pattern in gorgeous. I'll see how this hair holds up over time. I can't wait to experiment with a little color on it too.

We can add this to the Natural Hair friendly list! :clapping:

Last edited:

Jharianna

Can anyone suggest a really good Coarse Yaki Straight or Kinky Straight vendor pls?
Hairesthetics.com. Their kinky straight and kinky curly are both beautiful. And they last a long time. My last wig I made lasted nearly a year. Be careful of installing too much of the kinky straight. It gets VERY big!

GGsKin

what about clip ins? i think i just solved my natural hair/shrinkage problem.

In 2012, poor use of clip ins (wearing them daily, not always removing them, using too many, etc) gave me more problems than I've ever had when it comes to hair and left me with bald spots. I would steer clear.

CaraWalker

In 2012, poor use of clip ins (wearing them daily, not always removing them, using too many, etc) gave me more problems than I've ever had when it comes to hair and left me with bald spots. I would steer clear.

i don't plan to wear them frequently, or over a large portion of my head. just one or two in the middle to add some length to buns and ponytails.

i was doing something like this with extensions i already had except i would just bobby pin a few in and take them down when i got home :lol: why did it take me so long to think of this?

were they snagging on your hair? how do the clips stay in your head?

GGsKin

Mine had those snap clips with the comb attachment. I wore them for a period of a couple of months (growing out a short cut). My hair was relaxed at the time. Started getting lazy with one or two but I never felt any pulling or pain. When I removed them and finally paid attention, I had thinning hair in every spot I'd placed those clips, and some were totally smooth.

CaraWalker

Mine had those snap clips with the comb attachment. I wore them for a period of a couple of months (growing out a short cut). My hair was relaxed at the time. Started getting lazy with one or two but I never felt any pulling or pain. When I removed them and finally paid attention, I had thinning hair in every spot I'd placed those clips, and some were totally smooth.

did you leave them in for two months? i'm going to take mine out every day.

i literally just clipped in some indian curly (which is far too loose to match my hair), pulled in a bun, and even though there are random strips of straight hair, i achieved what i wanted - a normal looking bun! stupid shrinkage makes that impossible for my normal hair :cry3: that's the extent of my needs. i have so much hair that it is easily hidden. i cant believe it took me this long to figure that out.

kandake

Hairesthetics.com. Their kinky straight and kinky curly are both beautiful. And they last a long time. My last wig I made lasted nearly a year. Be careful of installing too much of the kinky straight. It gets VERY big!

I bought this hair and I'm currently working on a wig. This hair is so pretty.

How much space did you put between the wefts>

Last edited:

GGsKin

did you leave them in for two months? i'm going to take mine out every day.

i literally just clipped in some indian curly (which is far too loose to match my hair), pulled in a bun, and even though there are random strips of straight hair, i achieved what i wanted - a normal looking bun! stupid shrinkage makes that impossible for my normal hair :cry3: that's the extent of my needs. i have so much hair that it is easily hidden. i cant believe it took me this long to figure that out.

No. I took them out and put them in, in the am. I wore short ones first, just to make my hair look fuller. After I got comfortable, I wore longer ones (only 10inches. I'd wear them down, or style in a loose updo. When I got lazy, I wouldn't always remove the one at the front. That created my largest smooth patch. The others were much smaller (but they were still smooth).

As well as bad practice (I didn't use an anchor braid), I think they were just too much stress on my head (especially once I 'upgraded' to the longer length), plus my scalp acts funny if I use a hairpin lol) but I didn't know this then because I hadn't experimented much with added hair, or use many hair pins.

It's good that you've found a solution. Just keep an eye out:).

Last edited:

CaraWalker

my extensions are on the way!!!!!!!!! :yay: i paid extra for ups shipping. aint got time to be waiting a month for china.

CaraWalker

they came today. they're gross :lol:

first of all they are clearly not human hair, and the curl pattern is nothing like mine, nor what was pictured. this is some synthetic whatever that they did whatever to make it kinky. its kind of more like a zig zag. my hair does not zig zag im used to having hair cut right off of somebody's head, with naturally occurring little curlies, so i am not pleased with this :lol:

damn. im going to wear it for now (i do like how thin the tracks are and the clip on part, they will be totally unnoticeable in the forest of my head) but i want some with an actual CURL PATTERN. i dont trust this site to do that, they probably all say human hair when none of them are. going to have to find what im looking for in person and make my own clips :nono:

kandake

they came today. they're gross :lol:

first of all they are clearly not human hair, and the curl pattern is nothing like mine, nor what was pictured. this is some synthetic whatever that they did whatever to make it kinky. its kind of more like a zig zag. my hair does not zig zag im used to having hair cut right off of somebody's head, with naturally occurring little curlies, so i am not pleased with this :lol:

damn. im going to wear it for now (i do like how thin the tracks are and the clip on part, they will be totally unnoticeable in the forest of my head) but i want some with an actual CURL PATTERN. i dont trust this site to do that, they probably all say human hair when none of them are. going to have to find what im looking for in person and make my own clips :nono:

What did you order? Did you mention it up thread. I don't see it.

thickness

Before you dismiss the hair, shampoo and condition it first. Brush/comb through the hair. Let it air dry and see if it looks better.