Natural Hair Parting difficulties??

biancaantoinette

Anyone else have difficulties parting their hair?
How can I loosen up my roots so that I can get a nice clean part?? I even have difficulty getting through it after a fresh co-wash :ohwell:

Tips please!

silenttullip

LOL ur roots being loose probably won't matter depending on how your hair is. My roots are kind of loose and its STILL soooo tough to make a decent part. However parting hasn't ever been my thing but being natural just made it more difficult. Many naturals just finger part or use a rat tail comb. I think that may be the reason why.

biancaantoinette

LOL ur roots being loose probably won't matter depending on how your hair is. My roots are kind of loose and its STILL soooo tough to make a decent part. However parting hasn't ever been my thing but being natural just made it more difficult. Many naturals just finger part or use a rat tail comb. I think that may be the reason why.

Ive tried finger parting and the rat tail comb. Its just a thick unruly mess under my hair.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I don't generally part with a comb anymore. I just use my fingers to part when I do twists. I have to really stretch my hair out and have it dry to do a long comb part

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
water
part with your fingers
part with a chopstick
detangle really well
remove all shed hairs
keep hair stretched out

danniegirl

i am going to second the metal rat tip comb above ^^^^i have one and that's my go to for parting but it always have been even before going natural.

I would like to add that parting and separating the hair is now a lot more difficult no matter what tool i use and the more hair i have the more difficult it is becoming my hair is so curly and easily tangles and i try to be so gentle with it so i take my time and that makes the simple process much longer.

i was just sitting here earlier today thinking about putting my hair back in yarn braids today or tomorrow and i was planning on dc'ing then parting and twisting just so i don't have such a difficult time parting and braiding when i start doing it.

i no longer part straight i do round and triangle parts they tend to show imperfections a lot less and im usually only parting when im adding extensions which i tend to do a lot.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
i cannot part my hair with a comb at all. luckily, it's never really necessary for me to do so. i can only part with fingers and then it's not really a straight part, just a bunch of squigglies.:ohwell: my hair stays matted at the roots.

MeechUK

MeechUK
I find that sectioning off my hair in bunches and spritzing my scalp/roots helps. I only use bone or wooden combs. I also comb/detangle with a wooden comb which is gentle and leaves my hair feeling brushed without the static build-up. This also makes my hair easier to part before braiding.

Last edited:

Chromia

I use my fingers to part my hair. I do make one part with a comb - a side part in the front of my hair. But for the rest of my hair I use my fingers when I do twists.

constance

I use the end of a rat tail comb to begin the part and then I detangle from the ends and work my way down to the general vicinity. Then I attempt the part again (it's sort of a process). Thankfully I don't really have to make neat parts that often. :)

Tamster

I know what you mean OP. My hair is really hard to part at the roots, for most of my head (not the front where I am often parting and whatnot). Today I was so annoyed by it that when I was detangling, I took extra condish and oil and tried to REALLY detangle my roots all over. :lachen: i got tired quick. But I will say it was easier to do after my dc cause my hair was so soft and slick.

Afrobuttafly

I never really have a problem parting my hair because I don't even attempt to part unless my hair has been detangled during my cowash session....so are you detangling your hair or just cowashing and trying to part it?

biancaantoinette

I never really have a problem parting my hair because I don't even attempt to part unless my hair has been detangled during my cowash session....so are you detangling your hair or just cowashing and trying to part it?

Im just trying to part it. I ALWAYS keep my hair stretched because my afro is just tangle city.

Ill try do my parts after my deep condish. But I am wanting to part my when doing a style. I dont really care about how my parts look when stretching if that makes sense.

Thanks everyone!