Natural Hair question: Might be a bit strange :)

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
When you BC, is the hair that you are left with now, your actual hair texture? I mean, is the fact that my hair was chemically treated before, factor in a little bit to some of the new growth or is all of this growth strictly my real hair texture? I cut off all of the relaxed ends. I don't know, I was sitting here thinking about if the hair I'm seeing is even mine lol if it makes sense. Natural hair is new to me so I'm not sure. This is the first time in over 20 yrs I've seen my natural hair texture. Anyone? Thanks in advance

:blush:

Dilettante

Typically, yes, that's your real texture. Some people talk about 'scab hair' which is the idea that the first couple of inches of post-relaxer hair you grow will be drier/more damaged than your true natural hair. I don't know much about that.

Now conceivably relaxers could damage a person's scalp/follicles to the point that the hair would grow in differently, but I think you'd know if your scalp was that damaged

Britt

Good question OP. Congrats on ur bc! How far along were you when you chopped?
I think you ask a valid and honest question. Before I gave thought to transitioning and decided to do so, I looked at plenty natural blogs, pics, YouTube and what I realize is that the as time progresses, the hair changes. The longer it gets the more curly/coily/kinky/thicker it becomes and from what I've been told by several naturals, oftentimes their texture kinda changes from when they first started transitioning and first cut off their hair.
IMO, if you've been relaxed for so long, I'm sure that has had to affect your hair, scalp and follicles in some way so the hair growing out will be affected also.
I was relaxed for 21 years. On Tuesday I'll be one year post relaxer. I'm sure my scalp is happy with the break it's gotten fr the relaxer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I agree with Britt, as your hair gets longer it will change. When I BC'D I had chubby curly curls, and as my hair gets longer it's more of an elongated "s" with a curl at the end.

ETA: The first pic is my hair a few months after my BC in 2011. Second pic is early 2012. The last pic is my hair yesterday. My hair isn't day and night different, but I see a change.

Last edited:

Pennefeather

whiteolander91,

Do you think that the texture change is due to the weight of your hair as it lengthens? Your hair looks pretty long in your picture.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
Pennefeather yes, I think it has to do with weight and normal wear and tear as your hair ages :) When I cut my hair last year my hair was extra springy for a few months after. Extra length adds that extra weight.

starchgirl

OP - I agree that the hair post big chop is your actual hair texture. But whether or not it is your "optimal" hair, only time will tell. You have to get your moisture level, protein balance and porosity all aligned to see your optimal hair. Post BC, my hair was extremely dry and coarse. After much patience and product trial and error, my hair when in balance is moist and silky - something I could not imagine years ago. If I neglect it, it can regress still after 5 years being natural. When I nurture it, it thrives.

Optimal hair, whether relaxed or natural, is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

felic1

I think if you have a big chop, your new growth area will be your new texture. I did a detox a couple of years ago with terrassentials mud wash. It removes the plastics and other build up products from the hair shaft. I am all natural but my texture before the detox is not what I have now. Prior to the detox I had some curl type hair but long irregular portions from years of cones and abuse. My hair now has lovely ringlets. HTH!!:yep:

Honey Bee

I just wanted to poke my head in and say, I have scab hair. :ohwell:

I'm 7 months post and there's an inch or so between my new growth and my relaxed hair (don't know if I described that well) that's just bushy and hard no matter how well I condition. And when I flat iron, I have to use the comb-chase method on that part AND go over it several times. :down: The rest of my hair, the 'normal' natural part and the texlaxed length, I can flat iron with just tension and one or two passes and it comes out okay.

I was not a believer in scab hair until I saw it on my own head. :nono:

*Frisky*

I just wanted to poke my head in and say, I have scab hair. :ohwell:

I'm 7 months post and there's an inch or so between my new growth and my relaxed hair (don't know if I described that well) that's just bushy and hard no matter how well I condition. And when I flat iron, I have to use the comb-chase method on that part AND go over it several times. :down: The rest of my hair, the 'normal' natural part and the texlaxed length, I can flat iron with just tension and one or two passes and it comes out okay.

I was not a believer in scab hair until I saw it on my own head. :nono:

I have it too and I am almost 3 years post bc. It's in my crown. That area has never grown at the same rate as the rest of my hair but it's starting to improve.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Good question OP. Congrats on ur bc! How far along were you when you chopped?
I think you ask a valid and honest question. Before I gave thought to transitioning and decided to do so, I looked at plenty natural blogs, pics, YouTube and what I realize is that the as time progresses, the hair changes. The longer it gets the more curly/coily/kinky/thicker it becomes and from what I've been told by several naturals, oftentimes their texture kinda changes from when they first started transitioning and first cut off their hair.
IMO, if you've been relaxed for so long, I'm sure that has had to affect your hair, scalp and follicles in some way so the hair growing out will be affected also.
I was relaxed for 21 years. On Tuesday I'll be one year post relaxer. I'm sure my scalp is happy with the break it's gotten fr the relaxer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
Thank you! I didn't transition. I was 12 weeks post relaxer and just decided one day to take the plunge. I didn't want to transition. I was anxious and wanted to see my real hair texture asap lol so I did it.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
OP - I agree that the hair post big chop is your actual hair texture. But whether or not it is your "optimal" hair, only time will tell. You have to get your moisture level, protein balance and porosity all aligned to see your optimal hair. Post BC, my hair was extremely dry and coarse. After much patience and product trial and error, my hair when in balance is moist and silky - something I could not imagine years ago. If I neglect it, it can regress still after 5 years being natural. When I nurture it, it thrives.

Optimal hair, whether relaxed or natural, is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

Thank you :D I've mastered length retention of my relaxed hair, so now that i'm natural dry hair is no problem. I do see a lot of ladies saying once they've bc'd they get this dry hair. I've never experienced that. I know better than to let my hair get dry. I usually have to moisturize 2-3x daily. Well...the 3rd one I just do for good measure. :lachen:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I had scab hair for about a year. I ended up doing a 2nd big chop in january 2013. My first bc was august 2011. I cut it all off. I dont know if it was neglect, my lack of regimen (I just wore wigs) os scalp damage, but my hair was a coarse, rough, dry mess. Now its much softer, more moisturized, stronger and the texture even seems looser.

Do you like your natural texture? It will get better and easier to manage with time, trial and error :)

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I had scab hair for about a year. I ended up doing a 2nd big chop in january 2013. My first bc was august 2011. I cut it all off. I dont know if it was neglect, my lack of regimen (I just wore wigs) os scalp damage, but my hair was a coarse, rough, dry mess. Now its much softer, more moisturized, stronger and the texture even seems looser.

Do you like your natural texture? It will get better and easier to manage with time, trial and error :)

I love it. I was hoping it was my real hair texture lol. My hair is very easy to manage.

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

Nope the quality of my hair when I transitioned and for about a year or so after was/is vastly different than it is now and I think its several reasons:

Scab Hair

Dryness

Nailing a set regimen in terms of products, usage of products and day-to-hair care (manipulation, detangling, etc.)

Not having an understanding of the importance of cermides-protein-moisture and also porosity

I hope this helps I have been natural for about a decade or so:yep: