Natural heads. What length do u feel stuck at retaining growth?

tdillz

Hi everyone! I am currently 10 weeks post my big chop! Everyone keeps telling me how much my hair is growing but I can never tell because I see it everyday. What month do u feel u get stuck at the same length or have problems retaining?

Products I use
Miss Jessie's cleansing cream and conditioner
Giovanni direct leave in
Grape seed oil
Extra virgin olive oil

I'm gonna try to find my supplements and I'm really trying to step my water intake up to a least 60 to 80 oz a day.

Any suggestions? Any growth comparison pics are welcomed!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'm 5 years natural, I just seem to be stuck at NL my entire life even with relaxers! lol. I made it to SL once, but had my hair in braids for years.

I have 4b/c and it just breaks when the breeze hits it. I did cut it 2 months ago and I have retained and finally have some growth! This past weekend I dusted and it's still longer than it was a couple months ago.

I've found that alcohol in all its forms keeps my hair brittle, including: Cetereal (sp) alcohol, cetyl alcohol, or any of these alcohols that are used as emulsifiers or for frangrances and are usually the first 5 ingredients in all hair care products (even the ones that claim "natural" and "Organic"). I have not yet found a commercial deep conditioner (organic at Whole Foods or off the shelf elsehwere) or regular conditioner without this crap in it! So I've mostly gone completely home made and though still short (but growing!), the last 2 months my hair has been thanking me!

No more shampoo either as those contain alcohol on top of all the other chemicals. My hair's the softest and longest it's been in years (on from NL to SL now).

Shampoo: baking soda (but now will try Terresstials since I just got paid. lol)
Conditioners: Giovanni Direct, coconut milk based mostly with other ingredients (avocado, banana, oils, etc), tea rinses, and acv
Oils/butters: shea, coco, peanut, olive, coconut, argan

Nonie

@DarkJoy, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose doesn't have those ingredients you hate.

@tdillz, I was stuck at SL or shorter for years till I started dusting regularly. I don't really feel "stuck" because I don't check for progress regularly enough to notice that I'm still where I was. In 2007, a SHS took me from CBL to a little under 3 inch TWA. And even then, I don't remember feeling the dread one might feel when you have a long way to go. And I did finally get back to CBL.

Usually I don't remember where I was the last time, if I do check coz it's usually after so much time has passed that I don't even remember checking.:lachen: Or maybe I just have a bad memory. I think you'll enjoy your hair more if you stop focusing on getting to some length or away from some length but rather on making the most of the journey. Instead of wondering what length you are at, day-in, day-out, why not find out what styles you can do NOW that you haven't yet done and work the length you have. Get fancy, have a blast... ENJOY your hair now. And if you're lazy like me, just do right by it and then forget about it. Let it surprised you someday in the future. I find the more you do and the more you fuss, the more frustrated you will get.

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
A--P--L.
Relaxed or natural it feels like forever for me to get over this hump.

I've cut quite a few times during my natural journey because my hair grows at different rates and I want blunt ends.

I'm not feeling "some kind of way" about it though.

As long as its healthy and growing, I'm all smiles.
June 2012 makes 3 years natural.

tdillz

DarkJoy said:
I'm 5 years natural, I just seem to be stuck at NL my entire life even with relaxers! lol. I made it to SL once, but had my hair in braids for years.

I have 4b/c and it just breaks when the breeze hits it. I did cut it 2 months ago and I have retained and finally have some growth! This past weekend I dusted and it's still longer than it was a couple months ago.

I've found that alcohol in all its forms keeps my hair brittle, including: Cetereal (sp) alcohol, cetyl alcohol, or any of these alcohols that are used as emulsifiers or for frangrances and are usually the first 5 ingredients in all hair care products (even the ones that claim "natural" and "Organic"). I have not yet found a commercial deep conditioner (organic at Whole Foods or off the shelf elsehwere) or regular conditioner without this crap in it! So I've mostly gone completely home made and though still short (but growing!), the last 2 months my hair has been thanking me!

No more shampoo either as those contain alcohol on top of all the other chemicals. My hair's the softest and longest it's been in years (on from NL to SL now).

Shampoo: baking soda (but now will try Terresstials since I just got paid. lol)
Conditioners: Giovanni Direct, coconut milk based mostly with other ingredients (avocado, banana, oils, etc), tea rinses, and acv
Oils/butters: shea, coco, peanut, olive, coconut, argan

I feel u when I style my hair and that cold hair hits it my hair feels like crunchy noodles.lol so I'm still working on a Reggie to help fight specifically against this mild winter we have been having! Thanks for the advice!

tdillz

Nonie said:
@DarkJoy, Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose doesn't have those ingredients you hate.

@tdillz, I was stuck at SL or shorter for years till I started dusting regularly. I don't really feel "stuck" because I don't check for progress regularly enough to notice that I'm still where I was. In 2007, a SHS took me from CBL to a little under 3 inch TWA. And even then, I don't remember feeling the dread one might feel when you have a long way to go. And I did finally get back to CBL.

Usually I don't remember where I was the last time, if I do check coz it's usually after so much time has passed that I don't even remember checking.:lachen: Or maybe I just have a bad memory. I think you'll enjoy your hair more if you stop focusing on getting to some length or away from some length but rather on making the most of the journey. Instead of wondering what length you are at, day-in, day-out, why not find out what styles you can do NOW that you haven't yet done and work the length you have. Get fancy, have a blast... ENJOY your hair now. And if you're lazy like me, just do right by it and then forget about it. Let it surprised you someday in the future. I find the more you do and the more you fuss, the more frustrated you will get.

I feel u I was watching the month 1 and 2 video I made for my blog and my hair virtually looks the same... For the most part, I'm a wash and go girl. I don't know how to braid or do A decent twist out but I'm trying to learn lol I try my hardest not to focus on the growth because everyone I know tells me that it's growing lol. I find a lot of inspiration in women on the forum and on YouTube I see the growth and I see that I just have to be patient.

tdillz

yaya24 said:
A--P--L.
Relaxed or natural it feels like forever for me to get over this hump.

I've cut quite a few times during my natural journey because my hair grows at different rates and I want blunt ends.

I'm not feeling "some kind of way" about it though.

As long as its healthy and growing, I'm all smiles.
June 2012 makes 3 years natural.

Hmmm ok i need to think about it more this way I know it's healthy and I'm already having a good time trying products so as long as its healthy I know it's growing (shrinkage is killing me)but when I do stretch it I can tell its growing and it's more healthy than its ever been and I'm thankful for that. I do enjoy my hair at the length it is now because it's easy to maintain because I do mostly wash an gos but I also look forward to a healthy journey ahead!

manter26

I feel like I've been at APL for at least a year now. To get over the hump I'm cutting splits and SSK as I find them. I plan to trim every 3 months. I might need to up that though because it feels like forever since I had a good trim (last one was January). I'm also wearing wigs and other protective styles religiously. When I first BC'd I was really uncomfortable with my length and wore wigs the entire time. I didn't know anything about growing healthy hair but I recognized my hair was the same density from root to tip. I'd never had that before and I was impressed by the lack of wear on my ends. Hopefully, I can get back to that and retain by trimming and ps'ing.

tdillz

manter26 said:
I feel like I've been at APL for at least a year now. To get over the hump I'm cutting splits and SSK as I find them. I plan to trim every 3 months. I might need to up that though because it feels like forever since I had a good trim (last one was January). I'm also wearing wigs and other protective styles religiously. When I first BC'd I was really uncomfortable with my length and wore wigs the entire time. I didn't know anything about growing healthy hair but I recognized my hair was the same density from root to tip. I'd never had that before and I was impressed by the lack of wear on my ends. Hopefully, I can get back to that and retain by trimming and ps'ing.

I actually need to schedule a trim probably at my three month mark

Eisani

Those of you struggling to get beyond certain points, did you bc or transition? If you transitioned, for how long?

tdillz

CherryCherryBoomBoom said:
Yeah, I struggle to get past APL. Gonna keep trying different protective styles to try my best to retain the ends! :yep:

I'm no where close to apl I'm barely grazing sl! Lol

CurlsBazillion

My struggle is maintaining my ends and at least staying at APL. Once I get to APL I have some set back everytime! For the last month or so I've switched to finger combing for the most part so I won't rip through my hair with a shower comb. With finger combing and much more patience I should be able to maintain my last trim and only have to dust in a few months.

Cendra

I think I've been striving from 2 inches below collarbone to APL for over a year. It's been painful. I dust ends and S&D every 6 weeks or so, so I'm on top of dry ends. Recently, my front ends (to about my ears) look like they're reached full APL but I won't know until I flat iron again.
Don't let it discourage you, I think people often see results before you do. Like you said, you see yourself every day so it's hard to see tangible results quickly. Looks like you're using some very good products. If your hair is moisturized and you're not breaking all the time, you're doing something right! Just keep it up and use protective syles when you can and eventually, you'll see a difference.

tdillz

Eisani said:
Those of you struggling to get beyond certain points, did you bc or transition? If you transitioned, for how long?

I transitioned for about 6 months but my hair was so damaged under the lace fronts I wore that I just big chopped

tdillz

DayDreamist said:
My struggle is maintaining my ends and at least staying at APL. Once I get to APL I have some set back everytime! For the last month or so I've switched to finger combing for the most part so I won't rip through my hair with a shower comb. With finger combing and much more patience I should be able to maintain my last trim and only have to dust in a few months.

Good luck! I'm sure your hair will thrive!

tdillz

Cendra said:
I think I've been striving from 2 inches below collarbone to APL for over a year. It's been painful. I dust ends and S&D every 6 weeks or so, so I'm on top of dry ends. Recently, my front ends (to about my ears) look like they're reached full APL but I won't know until I flat iron again.
Don't let it discourage you, I think people often see results before you do. Like you said, you see yourself every day so it's hard to see tangible results quickly. Looks like you're using some very good products. If your hair is moisturized and you're not breaking all the time, you're doing something right! Just keep it up and use protective syles when you can and eventually, you'll see a difference.

I agree I'm really gonna try!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

BC'd then kept it in braids for a couple years (bad I know). Then after that, kept it in wigs all summer and fall. Just 'unveiled' my 'fro a couple months ago. It's been doing much better since it's been 'free'.

manter26

I BC'd. A lot of times I think a long transitions would be easier but I was so anxious to be natural I didn't make it the planned year. At about 5 months I chopped it.

Even though my overall length has not made any significant change in the past year, my layers have definitely grown out. Here's a comparison:

ETA: removed pics

Last edited:

Eisani

Thanks to those that answered. I asked about the bc vs transitioning because I've always wondered how much length I would've been able to retain had I big chopped. I retained/grew with no issues during my 3 yr transition. It seems like it would be harder to protective style a twa. Yes, there are wigs, braids, weave that can worn at any length, but maybe there's more stress on shorter tresses in those styles? Sorry, just thinking to myself.

Qurlyqt

I was just thinking that I'm forever at BSL! I've cut back up to my shoulders a couple of times during this natural journey but I wonder if I will ever make it beyond. Probably not because scissors are my friend! :ohwell: I REALLY love the way my fresh ends look and no matter how hard I fight it, I feel like an addict once I trim/cut. Aaaaah (relaxing tone). Yes, yes, it's an addiction! :blush:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My hair has been stuck around APL.

After much speculation, I think this is what has been keeping me at this length:

-overusing products with silicone ingredients on my natural hair
-excessive manipulation of my hair by styling it in different ways all the time
-straightening my hair with grease, should have been using a serum this whole time
-not combing through my ends and smoothing them before flat ironing

Because of this, I suffered from split ends which led to breakage seen and unseen.

SimJam

Thanks to those that answered. I asked about the bc vs transitioning because I've always wondered how much length I would've been able to retain had I big chopped. I retained/grew with no issues during my 3 yr transition. It seems like it would be harder to protective style a twa. Yes, there are wigs, braids, weave that can worn at any length, but maybe there's more stress on shorter tresses in those styles? Sorry, just thinking to myself.

If I had it to do again I would do a long transition, like 2 years.

My issue is breakage from my ends. Im thinking I could be saving my natural hair, while my relaxed ends bear the brunt of any breakage.

brittle_hair

My hair seems to have sped to CBL and now it seems to want to stay there - cos the ends keep snapping off, same thing i had when i was relaxed - and there was me thinking natural hair would making getting to APL easier...