Natural ladies who flat iron.

Sweetgirl08

What do you use?

For the past I don't know how long, I've used grease and recently added a heat protector before greasing my scalp

but is grease bad or good???
I've been stubborn and refused to think of pressing without it because my hair would revert quickly if I didn't. But I have had very good results(silky and lots of body) when I don't use grease but then again I had lots of damage because of the lack of heat protection.

So what about you? Do you revert quickly without grease and heat protection only?

Grease is the only product that keeps my natural hair from reverting. I currently use Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres. It is in a 13oz white jar with light yellow writing on it. In the past, I have used Proclaim Emerald Bergamot Hair & Scalp Conditioner (green grease) for flat-ironing as well. My hair stays straight for a long time (the longest I've gone was 5 or 6 weeks before washing my hair).

I use Sally's one n only Argan oil line. Shampoo/dc/condiioner. Then a spray heat protectant and the oil treatment before I blow dry. Then another application of the oil before I flat iron. My hair come out straight and flowy and not weighed down. I'll usually wear it out for 5-6 days then in a ponytail until I notice I'm scratching then I wash.

honestly I was just thinking about this recently. I truly started to wonder if the silicone products were as effective on our hair. I know when people get their hair pressed and use pressing oil products, their hair doesn't revert as easily and stays moisturized. I know it's controversial, but I used her method of heat training in the video below for my roots with my flat-iron

YouTube - How I Heat Train- Video 2 The Process

So a couple of days ago when I flat-ironed I used a combo of things. Dudley's creme press pressing oil, mizani thermasmooth, and out of curiousity I blow-dried with Nairobi foam wrap beforehand to see if it would help get the roots straighter (seemed to help with retaining moisture, but my roots didn't seem much straighter after blow drying).

Results? My hair two days later is still very moisturized still very straight. Previous wash I had just used the thermasmooth and my hair feels a lot better this time combined with the dudley's. It felt sticky (from the nairobi) after the blowdry and after it was flat-ironed I was worried I had used too much product. But afer I unwrapped it the next day my hair looked and felt great! My hair type is 4a/b, mostly b. I am growing out a relaxer with about 1.5 inches of new growth and was having problems with certain areas reverting really badly by day 3. So it's day 3 no real reversion yet...and no burned smelling hair either like when traditional presses are done. No smoking flat iron either.

Last edited:
Grease is the only product that keeps my natural hair from reverting. I currently use Ultra Sheen Creme Satin Pres. It is in a 13oz white jar with light yellow writing on it. In the past, I have used Proclaim Emerald Bergamot Hair & Scalp Conditioner (green grease) for flat-ironing as well. My hair stays straight for a long time (the longest I've gone was 5 or 6 weeks before washing my hair).

My beautician used the ultra sheen but I never got the sane results. I use Dax currently and it keeps it straight for at least 2 wks but its very heavy.

I use Sally's one n only Argan oil line. Shampoo/dc/condiioner. Then a spray heat protectant and the oil treatment before I blow dry. Then another application of the oil before I flat iron. My hair come out straight and flowy and not weighed down. I'll usually wear it out for 5-6 days then in a ponytail until I notice I'm scratching then I wash.

I saw that the other day. Never thought about using oil to press but I'll look into that one.

honestly I was just thinking about this recently. I truly started to wonder if the silicone products were as effective on our hair. I know when people get their hair pressed and use pressing oil products, their hair doesn't revert as easily and stays moisturized. I know it's controversial, but I used her method of heat training in the video below for my roots with my flat-iron

YouTube - How I Heat Train- Video 2 The Process

So a couple of days ago when I flat-ironed I used a combo of things. Dudley's creme press pressing oil, mizani thermasmooth, and out of curiousity I blow-dried with Nairobi foam wrap beforehand to see if it would help get the roots straighter (seemed to help with retaining moisture, but not so much on my roots).

Results? My hair two days later is still very moisturized still very straight. Previous wash I had just used the thermasmooth and my hair feels a lot better this time combined with the dudley's. It felt sticky (from the nairobi) after the blowdry and after it was flat-ironed I was worried I had used too much product. But afer I unwrapped it the next day my hair looked and felt great! My hair type is 4a/b, mostly b. I am growing out a relaxer with about 1.5 inches of new growth and was having problems with certain areas reverting really badly by day 3. So it's day 3 no real reversion yet...and no burned smelling hair either like when traditional presses are done. No smoking flat iron either.

So after I get through a few more days I will update.

The smell is another con for pressing with grease. Now this Dudley's is an oil and not a grease! Hmmm Where did you find that Sally's or another BSS?

I also use ultra sheen satin press to flatiron my hair and it really does help with the reversion. To me, its best to flatiron in small sections and kept it wrapped up.

Akgirl,

I think that Dudley Creme Press is an excellent product for flat ironing and it does make the hair feel really nice (if used sparingly).

I'm not natural, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

The last time I flatironed my hair I used Crisco oil--inspired by member myangeleyez (?). My hair was the sleekest it had ever been, and I was able to wear it almost a month without any reversion.

Every night, I would either put coconut oil, jojoba oil, or a little castor oil on the ends and a little on the length of the hair and sleep with a silk bonnet.

My DD has flatironed her hair twice with it--it holds up and doesn't revert even when she dances the night away at the club.

The smell is another con for pressing with grease. Now this Dudley's is an oil and not a grease! Hmmm Where did you find that Sally's or another BSS?

I had to buy it from a salon that was licensed to sell it. I would recomment just getting it online, or you can do like I did and go to the Dudley's site and find the licensed salons and call around if you like instant gratification :)

I will say though, it does have petrolatum and mineral oil in it though along with castor oil and other ingredients. However, my hair isn't left feeling coated or dry...quite the opposite and I still have swing. I honestly really like it a lot so far. Good luck to you!

I use heat protectant (Chi Iron Guard lately). I will use a "bit" of coconut oil on the ends every couple days....I don't worry about reverting as I wear my hair in full curls and a little texture actually makes the hairstyle better.

I haven't used grease to straighten my hair in forever. I use heat protectants and they alone keep my hair from reverting. I am very meticulous when I apply them so moisture doesn't stand a chance, it seems.

So do you have split ends when you don't use grease and what temp is your flat iron on.

I only ask because I just had to cut off about 3 inches (bsl to apl) because of the massive amount of split ends from trying to straighten without grease (of course that was before I thought about using a heat protectant)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Back