Natural products Only

KrimsonKween

Who uses only natural products and nothing else.
If you do what has been your experience?
Why did you chose to use only natural products?
Is your hair healthier than when you used other products?
What is your regi?
What methods do you use?
What ingredients?

Natural Shampoos
Natural Prepoo method
Natural Oils
Natural moisturizer
Natural Conditioners

JustKiya

I'm getting close - oh, SO very close. The only thing I just haven't been able to give up on is the conditioner.... :ohwell: I love my chemical laden conditioner. *sigh*

I've never had any real COMPLAINTS about using natural stuff. Some stuff, my hair just doesn't like (like oil rinses), but that's not the fault of the method, ya know?

1) I'm cheap
2) I'm trying to live naturally and healthly and as chemical free as possible in every other aspect of my life - hair products were a natural extension
3) Did I mention I'm cheap? :lachen:

This is the healthiest my hair has EVER been - some of it's the products, some of it is the process, some of it is the mindset.

What is your regi?

Oh, dear..... how to explain with making it a book.... I have a two week cycling regi, with different treatments at the 'weekend gap' between the cycles. My hair is in a protective two strand twist style for the full two weeks, and I MIGHT wear a twist out on Saturday, but usually I don't.

Sun - twist hair
Mon/Fri - scalp massages with Amla Oil/Indian oil of choice
Wed - herb wash with Shikaika, Amla and Fo-Ti powder
Weekend (hair in twists, still) - DC with watered down conditioner
Mon - scalp massages with Amla Oil/Indian oil of choice
Wed - herb wash with Shikaika, Amla and Fo-Ti powder
Fri - hair comes down, and I get to play! :lol: This would be the time I would wear my hair out, take pictures, experiment with something new, clarify, additional DC/protien treatments, etc, etc.....if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just DC and slap it back into twists.

There are three 'hairout' weekends in a 6 week cycle....

Hairout weekend one - Henna
Hairout weekend two - DC (this is usually an intense DC - when I pull out the BIG guns. I haven't settled on a natural DC here, but I'm hoping the Caramel Treatment gives me what I need)
Hairout weekend three - Light Protien/Another DC, depending on what my hair seems to want....it's usually wanting more moisture....
Hairout weekend one - Henna

See, it still ended up being a book!!

Natural Shampoos

Regular Shampoo - Amla, Shikaika, Fo-Ti powder tea.
Clarifying Shampoo - Baking Soda and Water
pH balancing Shampoo - Citric Acid and Water

Natural Prepoo method

I don't prepoo.

Natural Oils

My personal favorite, hands down, is Red Palm Oil. I RARELY use straight oil on my hair however, I'm more of a buttery girl.

With butters, I LOVE shea butter, mango butter, shealoe butter, cocoa butter - I usually mix them with something (conditioner, glycerin, etc) to make a moisturizing treatment for my hair.

Natural moisturizer

I use Oyin and AfroDetangler - both purchased, but both natural. I'm still working on my own purely homemade concoction.

Natural Conditioners

This is where I fall flat. Oyin's HoneyHemp is a conditioner, but it's not as thick as I would like, and it's REALLY to expensive to be rinsing down the drain right after I put it on my hair.

I use Elasta QP IFC right now, and until I find something roughly equivalent and natural, I'll most likely keep on using it.

Last edited:

brownsugarflyygirl

I use a mostly natural regimen. Fantasia IC gel and Suave Humectant are my only diversions. My answers are in blue below.

If you do what has been your experience? My hair is natural and responds well to natural products.
Why did you chose to use only natural products? I was on this all around health kick both internal and external. Now its just because my hair likes them :lick:
Is your hair healthier than when you used other products? Umm I cant really compare because I was relaxed and wasnt on LHCF so its not really an apples to apples comparison...I did have healthy relaxed hair though...so Im not sure :spinning:
What is your regi? LHCF Bootcamp :grin: DCing, protective styling, no heat and no trims
What methods do you use? :perplexed
What ingredients? :perplexed

Natural Shampoos: Elucence Acidifying and Elucence Moisture (although they do have parabens, which I hate but all the other ingredients are natural)
Natural Prepoo method: I dont prepoo
Natural Oils: Castor, Olive, and Honey; Rosemary and Pepperment EO's
Natural moisturizer: Giovanni Direct Leave In Diluted with water and spiked with my EO's
Natural Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave In
Giovanni 50/50 (for moisture)
Aubreys GPB (for protein)
For styling my hair I use Carol's Daughters Healthy Hair Butter and Mimosa Hair Honey.

shocol

Who uses only natural products and nothing else. I'm trying but not quite there yet.
If you do what has been your experience? Pretty good for my hair.
Why did you chose to use only natural products? To cut down on the chemicals. Also, my hair is sensitive to silicones, glycerin in commercial products, hoping that pure vegetable glycerin will be different. Most commercial greases and oils do nothing but sit on my hair/scalp and attract dirt/dust.
Is your hair healthier than when you used other products? Yes.
What is your regi? Don't really have one. Right now, I pre-poo and either co-wash or use a shampoo bar to wash out. I try to DC at least twice a week.
What methods do you use? Nothing complicated, I'm pretty lazy.
What ingredients? Mostly oils and butters.

Natural Shampoos Baking soda, ACV.
Natural Prepoo method Homemade shikakai oil, put a shower cap on, and under the dryer for 1 hour.
Natural Oils Castor oil and meadowfoam oil so far are the only two I've tried that don't dry my hair out, leave it greasy, or just sit there. I usually mix other oils in my conditioner. Butters work much better. I've been experimenting with avocado, East and West African shea butters, mowrah, illipe, tucuma, cupuacu, and I just ordered some macadamia butter.
Natural moisturizer Giovanni direct leave-in is great. Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner works great as a leave-in but I use Giovanni since I don't have to order on-line. As soon as my vegetable glycerin gets here, I'll make a glycerin and aloe juice mixture and hope that works.
Natural Conditioners I just bought some more Aubrey Organics HSR. However, most of the time I use Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, which is not natural, and add oils to it.

ETA...I also have a lot of Ayurvedic powders laying around that I need to use up.

Last edited:

Sui Topi

I'm trying to get there. Especially since my 10 month old needs to use some conditioner, and I dont feel comfortable running chemicals down his back. I was going to try Jason apricot line or the kiss my face moisturizing one, I forget what its called.

Cichelle

Who uses only natural products and nothing else? I do. Finally. I thought I'd never break my conditioner addiction. I'm just hoping things continue to work this way.

If you do what has been your experience? It's been good so far. I used to use all natural products like Aubrey Organics and etc. But that got really expensive. This time around, I'm trying to stick to basics.

Why did you chose to use only natural products? Well, health is a part of it. But other important considerations are money and my general laziness.

Is your hair healthier than when you used other products? I don't know. It sheds less, that's for sure.

What is your regi? I wash every second or third day. I use oil, a shampoo bar and a natural butter. I also use henna every 6 weeks or so. These days, I've been keeping my hair in twists most of the time. I don't know how long I will continue that.

What methods do you use? aside from the above mentioned regi, I sometimes do scalp massages with sesame oil.

What ingredients? soap, oil, natural butter, henna, herbs...

Natural Shampoos: I use a shikakai shampoo bar.
Natural Prepoo method: I prepoo with coconut or sesame oil.
Natural Oils: coconut, sesame and sometimes bhringaraj oil.
Natural moisturizer: natural butters, my favorites being hemp seed and avocado.
Natural Conditioners: N/A....for now.

JustKiya

Who uses only natural products and nothing else? I do. Finally. I thought I'd never break my conditioner addiction. I'm just hoping things continue to work this way.

Natural Conditioners: N/A....for now.

Wha, wha, whaaaaaa Cichelle??? Oooh, spill! When did you stop using conditioner? How's it going? Are you just using shampoo, oil, and butters? No moisturizers/leave-ins??

Cichelle

Wha, wha, whaaaaaa Cichelle??? Oooh, spill! When did you stop using conditioner? How's it going? Are you just using shampoo, oil, and butters? No moisturizers/leave-ins??

Yeah, can you believe it? It hasn't been that long. A few shampoos, but I'm not looking back. I cannot believe it, really because I am the ultimate conditioner junkie. I won't even say how much I was going through in a month's time. :blush:

At this point, I am only using oil, a shampoo bar and a natural butter. That's it. I thought I'd NEVER get to this point! But to tell you the truth, I can't really tell a difference. My hair is basically the same as it was when I poured on the conditioner....maybe a tad bit better.

I should add though, that I couldn't do this with ordinary shampoo. I might be able to get away with it if I used something like Sap Moss....but then we run into the $$$ issue and I just don't want to spend it if I don't have to. Ya know? And I'm not even sure it would work. This shampoo bar...it just really works for my hair. I wish I found it two years ago. I can buy it at a local store for 99 cents. Oh, the money I would have saved! Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can stay off the conditioner.

Btw, it's good to see you around here more often. :yep:

imstush

I have recently slipped up. I was only using natural products - Ayurvedic powders and oils, Shikaika shampoo bar...now conditioners is where I have the most problems. I was using AO conditioners but I go through one bottle in two washes, and don't let me co-wash.

Candy_C

Yeah, can you believe it? It hasn't been that long. A few shampoos, but I'm not looking back. I cannot believe it, really because I am the ultimate conditioner junkie. I won't even say how much I was going through in a month's time. :blush:

At this point, I am only using oil, a shampoo bar and a natural butter. That's it. I thought I'd NEVER get to this point! But to tell you the truth, I can't really tell a difference. My hair is basically the same as it was when I poured on the conditioner....maybe a tad bit better.

I should add though, that I couldn't do this with ordinary shampoo. I might be able to get away with it if I used something like Sap Moss....but then we run into the $$$ issue and I just don't want to spend it if I don't have to. Ya know? And I'm not even sure it would work. This shampoo bar...it just really works for my hair. I wish I found it two years ago. I can buy it at a local store for 99 cents. Oh, the money I would have saved! Keep your fingers crossed for me that I can stay off the conditioner.

Btw, it's good to see you around here more often. :yep:

i'm edging towards this type of routine too

Candy_C

TOTALLY NATURAL!

minus conditioners and relaxers!

relaxers are soon to be going going gone

and conditioners also

my hairs never been so long and so moisturized

i dont really even do the vitamins anymore

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
What is your regi?
What methods do you use?
What ingredients?

Natural Shampoos
Natural Prepoo method
Natural Oils
Natural moisturizer
Natural Conditioners

I use only natural products and its been working out really well for my hair I think. My hair seems to hold moisture longer and seems to be in just general better condition..oh and much softer, can't forget that.

This is my general regimen

Iused henna once a month and usually as a pre-poo.
When I'm not henna'ing, I pre-poo with coconut oil
I wash with a mix of aritha and shikakai powder, as a rinse when I don't need that deep of a cleaning and a paste when I need to clarify
I do a quick detangling while having Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner in my hair
I deep condition with a mix of coconut milk, yogurt and honey under the dryer for 45 mins.
I put my hair into twists with Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream then seal with an oil..usually coconut.
Every other night I use whipped shea butter on my ends.
I go back and forth with keeping my twists in for a week or two weeks..depending on how my hair looks and feels

I'm thinking of moving from coconut oil to jojoba or avocado oil....but I don't know depends on how I feel