Are 100% natural hair products overrated?

Are natural hair products overrated?

• Yes, I use what works! (Natural or Synthetic)

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • No, I swear by ______ (insert natural product here)

Votes: 34 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bronzebomb

I have been natural for 20 months and I think natural hair products are overrated! Do you? Have you only been using natural products because people claim that it is better for our hair? Alternatively, do natural products truly work for your hair?

L.Brown1114

I don't think they are overatted I just think they are overpriced. God made ingredients are ALWAYS better than man made any day in my opinion. Just like there are non natural products that work an don't work there natural products that work or don't work for your hair. You just have to keep trying and figure out which ones work for you. You should try trader joes conditioner and shampoo or yes to carrots line. Or make your own products

MsLizziA

For me, they are! While some of them work, not all of them do for me anyway. When i first started my journey, i spent tons of money trying to stick to all natural stuff and it worked but i became a modified CG because not everything was working. I use cones now but sparingly.. everything in moderation

reeko43

I haven't tried any natural products except KKKT which I probably won't buy again. I have been using homemade shampoo, leave in and for mointerizing and sealing. I am using up non natural products for dc's until I finish them up and then I will be making my dc's as well.

kittikat24

I'm transitioning, but am almost completely natural.

I love organic/natural products, but so often they're just so/so as far as effectiveness:ohwell: If I'm going to pay $10 for 8 oz, I don't want to go thru the bottle super fast.

If my hair is actin right, I love natural products...but if it needs to be tamed, most often I go with what I know:yep:

EllePixie

Most of my favorite products are mostly natural, but not fully. I don't think they are overpriced because I previously used salon brands that are just as expensive (or more), with crappier ingredients. The only thing I don't like is when natural product companies do not properly preserve their products. I hate feeling like I need to rush to finish a product so it does not go bad. Either way, I use whatever works, natural or not. However, I have found that a lot of more synthetic formulations are craptastic, but I think it has more to do with the formulation/quality of the brand.

cch24

I definitely wouldn't say that natural products are overrated. It's just another example of what works for some does not work for others. I used 100% natural products during 2010 and my hair flourished, retained length, and was well moisturized. I decided to try using silicones again in 2011 because I used them in the very beginning of my hair journey, and my hair also retained length and was well moisturized. For my hair, there is no difference in it's health or moisture levels, whether I use natural products or silicone products. I have chosen to use a combination of both, which is doing wonders for both my hair and my wallet.

Vashti

I think natural products definitely work for me but it's true that many natural products are a bit spendy. I've learned to incorporate stuff I already use in my kitchen into my hair regimen (olive oil, coconut oil, etc.) and I've finally whittled my store bought hair products down to just a few staples. If you can make do with just one or two store bought natural hair products, that can cut down on the expensive significantly.

Charz

Sinister Minister
I like buying natural hair products because the ingredients are better and I like to support black and small businesses.

Your Cheeziness

To make my hair thang easier on me and my pockets, I prefer store commercial products. They are affordable, accessible, and I don't have to pay even more money for shipping.

ms.blue

I first start on my journey w/ natural shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, etc and the only thing I kept natural are the moisturizers. Natural shampoos were too harsh on my hair and natural conditioners didn't replenish the moisture I lost from the shampoo. I believe a person should realize that natural isn't always better for your hair imo.

Your Cheeziness

I first start on my journey w/ natural shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, etc and the only thing I kept natural are the moisturizers. Natural shampoos were too harsh on my hair and natural conditioners didn't replenish the moisture I lost from the shampoo. I believe a person should realize that natural isn't always better for your hair imo.

This was my experience. The sulfate free shampoos made my hair feel worse than sulfate/silicone shampoos. The only way natural based conditioners work for me is if I don't shampoo at all (cg method). I love Trader Joe's for that. But I had to buy it and have it shipped. It ends up being $12-$15 for a $3 bottle of conditioner. No thanks. I'll stick to Tresemme.

chebaby

98% of the products i use are natural and they work for me. i tried to go back to some cvs type products and they did not work. ive gotten to the point where i can look at an ingredient list and tell whether or not i will like it.

CurlyNiquee

I am sure that synthetic products would do just fine as far as the maintenance of my hair goes, just not the health of my body is concerned. I am very hesitant to use products other than natural because of chemicals like methylparaben and other such things. I am trying to get away from things like that in hair/skin products that may affect me later on in the future.

Roux

I'm still transitioning but my DD is natural and i've purchased a few things that are geared toward naturals and for the most part, they have been an absolute WASTE. Natural oils and stuff like shea butter, olive oil, honey, aloe vera juice are fantastic and worth their price, which is cheap, but spending $20 or more + high shipping costs for something that a $2 bottle of Suave can do just isn't appealing to me and disappointing.

They're not overrated. However, one has to be mindful that what works for others may not necessarily work for you. So, when one comes to the conclusion that something's overrated, he/she has to realize that they miscalculated how it would work for them.

Overrated, maybe. Overpriced, definitely. One size fits all? No. The key is to find what works for you.

LilMissRed

hONESTLY IMO some natural products are really expensive, but then again.. so are the other products that arent natural :shrugs: ... I use more natural things than not. BUT I do use them all. I personally dont buy into the 'name brand' thing anymore.. I found what worked for my hair and Ive stuck with it. Every now and then I will experiment, but ehh not so much

LongLeggedLife

No! The 100%natty products I use...beeswax, rose water, shea butter, henna, misc. oils, are where its at!

[Most of]That $50 stuff on Target shelves[which is marketed to naturals] is *not* 100% natural.
But hit up the african, indian, and jamaican grocers and you can find great, inexpensive, and effective products, imo.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I like buying natural hair products because the ingredients are better and I like to support black and small businesses.

Exactly what she said.:yep:

And since I am relaxed, I want to make "Relaxers" the only Product I use with 'questionable' ingredients.:ohwell:

destine2grow

I am transitioning and like using natural products. I also like supporting small and african american business. Now I don't think I will ever use just natural products because there are some commercial products that my hair love.

LovelyNaps26

i like natural products. i need to be able to moisturize my hair everyday or as needed during the week w/o feeling a greasy icky feeling on my hair. i've only been able to experience this with natural products. even with decent stuff like ORS hair lotion my hair feels greasy after three uses and the moisture only last for one day.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I personally don't think they are overrated. I have found that the natural products work SOOOOO much better on my hair than the nonnatural ones. The only exception to that is Pink Oil Moisturizer which my hair LOVES.

Some natural products to me didn't do anything at all for my hair.

GaiasDaughter24

For me, yes, they are. Most of them do nothing for my hair. I've had great success with salon products. However, I do use natural items like avacado, honey, shea butter, etc. I LOVE them as much as my salon products. But products that are pre-made? Nope. Except my leave-in.

aa9746

Natural hair products are not overrated for me. My scalp is more happy with natural products.hhg

Qtee

I just use whateva works on my hair..I currently dont have any natural products..other than olive oil, water and honey..to me they are the truth..and inexpensive which is even better..

Solitude

Yes, IMO, most of them are way overrated. Elasta QP mango butter for $4 works just as well or better than the $20 all natural butters. Shipping is ridiculous, you can't make returns, and the products have a short shelf life. I also don't think it costs that much to make the products, especially when they are buying the ingredients in bulk.

With that said, some commercial products are overpriced and overrated as well.

Two natural brands that I think are worth the shipping and the wait, and from my experience have great service are Hairveda and BeeMine. I'm sure that there are others...I also like these two brands because they market to naturals and relaxed heads...and they work. BeeMine is a little pricey, but Hairveda is very affordable.

curlycoquette

I think it's ridiculous to paint everything with a broad brush. Natural does not automatically equal better. Anyone can throw together natural ingredients that 'sound' good without any regard to whether those ingredients even work together or have a positive, synergisitc effect on your hair.

I have my fair share of natural products, but even still, I absolutely think sometimes they are totally overrated. :yep: