Naturals and 'cones?

cch24

I was wondering how many naturals use products with silicones, how many naturals use products without silicones, and why.

When I was transitioning my staple products were Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner, Herbal Essences LTR leave in, and Pantene deep conditioner. My hair was soft, moisturized, and retained length well. I stopped using cones as an experiment and my hair is still soft, moisturized, and retaining length well.

I guess I'm wondering if there is no difference in my hair either way, and I'm not attached to the more natural products because of health reasons, why am I cone free?

I plan on going back to a cone regimen over Christmas break and see how my hair reacts, but I'd love to hear from you ladies as well!

Thanks!

Tiye

The anti-silicone movement was based on bad science (or lacking knowledge of hair science) and now that we're moving into the second decade of the new millennium, it needs to go away.

RubyWoo

I use products with cones and products w/o cones. I haven't noticed a difference in the health of my hair.

LaFemmeNaturelle

I've noticed a difference. I think my hair generally remains moisturized withoutcones. During the summer and late spring, I stopped using cones and I was able to retain moisture for much longer. I would wash once or twice a week but would not have to moisturize in between. Since the fall, ive noticed my hair has been dryer and I guess that was due to the cold air drying my hair out like it dries my skin out. Since I've started back using cones, my hair is softer. So for me, I will keep the cones for fall, winter, and early spring and during the warm months, I will be cone free. I don't like to shampoo often but with cones shampooing is necessary so I'd rather do without them.

darlingdiva

Most of my products don't contains cones because my hair will start feeling dry if I use products with too many cones, and I hate that.

cch24

I use cones. I've never tried to abstain from them. What non-cone products do you use?

I use Tresemme Naturals, Knot Today, Mane n Tail Conditioner, Shea Moisture DC and Mozeke Avocado Cream.

Thanks ladies for your responses. I will update this thread after my 'cone experiment to see if I see any difference.

Diva_Esq

I use cones. My hair likes them. Non-cone products work ok for me, but cones seem to do the trick better.

cch24

I think that when I was using 'cones my hair seemed to clump more. I'm wondering if that will happen again when I start to re-use them...

s4pphir3

I stopped using cones recently. Pantene, Aussie Moist, and HE Hello Hydration were my faves, but after a while the magic faded and my hair started to feel dry. I also felt that sometimes the conditioners were just sitting on my hair and not being absorbed. I'm going to miss them though, I used them all the time to define my curls with the curly primer technique.

tmhuggiebear

My hair LOVES cones and only likes non-cone products. It's also much easier for me to detangle with cones. My hair especially loves Elucence. However, knot today works well in my hair too, not as well as Elucence though.

hannan

My hair feels like doodie when I use cones! It's a lot drier and breaks off much easier. Since I've been going cone-free, I've noticed my hair stays a lot more softer.

Since it's been colder, I've just been keeping my hair in twists and that seems to lock in the moisture better than if I were wearing a bun or another style.

Tyra

I just started using cones this fall/winter and for the first time during my natural hair journey I've experienced *visible* breakage. It lasted just a couple days. It wasn't a major setback, but I was used to having close to no breakage ever.
I'm off the cones again, and I see and feel a dfference already.

AfroKink

Cones give me buildup, which leads to hair sticking together, which leads to tangles, which leads to knots and frustration... which caused The Set Back of Fall 2008.

Staying cone-free making my hair much more manageable.

Naturel

My hair likes amodimethicone. It doesn't like other cones Other cones, and some no cone conditioner work well on my hair too.

Phoenix14

cones feel good at first for my hair, but if i go more than a few days without washing i find that my hair starts to feel dry and dull. When my hair was shorter i could use cones everyday because i was washing everyday. It LOOOVED cones then!

CenteredGirl

I went from hating cones to using them exclusively on my kinky cottoney hair.

It's all I use. I no longer use oils, just cones. My favorite is the Simply Styling Mist. It's the bomb and prevents reversion like no other!

Your Cheeziness

I've tried the no cone regimen and it's a hassle to find products locally that I like. But then I realized silicones weren't bothering me so there is no need to fix what isn't broken. I use what my hair likes.

filthyfresh

In winter, my hair isn't responding well to cones. It was leaving my hair dry and brittle. I don't think it was responding well during the summer either. But now it's much more noticeable. I've started using no cones & my hair is a lot softer & I'm experiencing less breakage. So I think I'm going to keep it going.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i use cones, mineral oil, petroleum, sulfates, etc. :look:
i just don't have the time to care and my hair seems to be doing just dandy. so um yea.
never tried cone free, and the only "natural" products i use are castor and coconut oil.

cch24

Thanks everyone for your replies! I straightened my hair today so I used Aussie to cowash and HE LTR as a leave-in and I'm wondering why I strayed. It seems that my hair isn't very picky, so I'll stick to 'cones for now.