Does co-washing cure split ends?

Co-washer and no split ends?

• Yes

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 57 75.0%

• Total voters

nodisrespect

Because I see so many comments about protective styling to prevent split end, trims to prevent split ends, basically that split ends will be the death of you. But as far as I can see, I don't have any. :look: If you are a frequent co-washer, are you split end free?

KiniKakes

While they won't cure split ends, con-washing can keep your hair moisturized, which can help to prevent breakage before it occurs. :) HTH.

anon123

I'm not sure if you are trying to get at whether cowashing prevents split ends as opposed to fixing (curing) them. Or both?

nodisrespect

When I used the word "cure" I didn't mean it as literally as in MizAvalon's reply. I just meant "cowashing = no split ends?"

MizAvalon

When I used the word "cure" I didn't mean it as literally as in MizAvalon's reply. I just meant "cowashing = no split ends?"

I'm sorry, I didn't even really read the original question. I was replying based on the first response.

I CW every day and have no split ends. None that I can see anyway. Haven't had a haircut in forever either. I'm sure CW is a big reason why.:yep:

Cichelle

I don't have split ends. I think nearly three years of co-washing might have something to do with that. But I can't be sure.

BrooklynSouth

Co-washing is great for moisturizing or really moisture retention of curly hair but nothing, no nothing "cures" split ends...scissors is all the cure there is.

Ms. Plain Jane

The only thing that cures split ends are scissors.

Co-sign, but the utlimate key is prevention! You have to maintain healthy ends and give them the proper TLC. So trim them and keep the well moisturized and make sure they they are not rubbing against harsh fabric. Some cotton fabrics are harsh.

Cheleigh

Not for me. I co-wash often, but I still have splits. My hair is naturally prone to splits (very delicate and dry at the ends) but there are still things I can do to minimize them. Co-washing is one tool I use to minimize them.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I just posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. I got a major hair cut last September, and I have not cut my hair since then. I was just looking at my ends and I have absolutely no splits. I mean not one. I agree with everyone who said that co-washing can help keep your hair moisturized, which in turn can prevent the splitting from occurring in the first place. However, I really think the fact that I only use heat once a month is the main reason why I don't have split ends. Nothing will split your tresses faster than excessive heat. Most co-washers use heat sparingly anyway, so I think the two go hand-in-hand.

JustKiya

The only cure for split ends is cutting them off, so I had to vote 'No' in the poll.
However, I do think that cowashing, by keeping your hair supremely & consistently moisturised, does prevent hair getting to the point where splits are able to form.
Definitely a situation where a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure. ;)

JustKiya

I made this post all wrong. The poll is asking a totally different question.

Oooooh. You were asking if you were a cowasher, were you also free of splits? :yep: I can see that - it goes both ways.

I'm not much of a cowasher, but when I do wash, I cowash, and I have few to no splits - at least on the hairs I can see.

ladylibra

co-washing doesn't guarantee that you won't get splits. actually, i co-washed so much that OVERMOISTURIZED my hair... my hair got mushy and the ends of my hair that had old color on them started splitting like crazy, even after i corrected the problem by doing protein treatments to restore my hair's balance.

so in came the scissors... :lachen:

I'm a newbie and I have questions: What is a co-wash and how do you do it:perplexed?:newbie::newbie:

co-wash = conditioner wash. basically cleansing the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I'm a newbie and I have questions: What is a co-wash and how do you do it:perplexed?:newbie::newbie:

Welcome! :wave:

Co washing (conditioner washing) is when you wash your hair with conditioner only. Get in the shower, wet your hair, put conditioner on, massage it in, leave in a few minutes, rinse, apply leave-in conditioner and bun it up to airdry :)

Of course you don't HAVE to bun, that's just the style of choice on LHCF :lol: You can do a braidout, twistout, bantu knots, rollersets, etc :yep:

MonPetite

I hear ya', OP. I see what you were asking.

Yes and no, in my experience.

No, as once you get a split you need to cut it off -we've all heard that before.

But split ends occur ALL ALONG the hairshaft, not just the ends. Co-washing helps keep hair supple enough to where this doesn't happen or can be minimalized!

So in a sense, YES co-washing, "cures" it in that it can circumvent some of the ill effects of splits before they start.

Keeping ends moist and using heat sparingly tend to both happen with frequent co-washers that help keep already healthy ends in tact.

I HTH.

Off topic: Fierce shoes in your avatar.

DivaD04

I voted no "cure" split ends b/c once you get them you got them and if you want to rid them they need to be cut, plain and simple. Most people think they can slap on products that'll make them go away but that is not the case. Most products will only coat the hair which will fill the tiny slits the hair has making it seem like a smooth and silk strand. But add some water and poo to it and you'll see your true strand. It's not about being scissor happy, if a person really cares about his or her hair either the stylist or diy'ers, they'll get rid of them. But to prevent them, that's where products come in. No one needs a trim or cut to prevent split ends b/c that'll just involve unnecessary cutting.

luxe.li.

I read somewhere on the associated content website that DESPITE what people think, split ends can't be healed or GLUED back together. Like protein conditioners help strengthen hair and bond the ends together temporarily but they go back to their natural state when wet or washed. Also I read that split ends are normal, that excessive split ends are contributed to damaged hair, but some split ends are unavoidable because hair gets old and its splits. So its best to keep your hair healthy and strong, conditioners whatever you have to do, but once you have them excessively cutting them off is the only way to get rid of them.

Also associated content stated not to cut hair in an angle because its prone to more damage and snagging.

That's what I read and that's what I believe......lol

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/308444/can_split_ends_be_fixed.html?cat=69

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/545517/split_endscauses_and_prevention.html?cat=69

Last edited:

MissNina

Libra Girl
I don't have split ends. I think nearly three years of co-washing might have something to do with that. But I can't be sure.

Im sure it had something to do with my hair too. I only started last May, but I have seen a def difference in the occurrence of split ends.

Ivy Santolina

I used to have a lot of split ends. A good trim and a co-washing routine 2-3x's a week along with DC once a week have prevented new ones from occurring. At least a much as I can see. One thing I noticed with co-washing and DC'ing is my hair hardly ever tangles and mats any more.