NATURALS: Are You Happy w/ The MOISTURE Level of Your Hair?

Sunshine0801

Thanks Sunshine0801...What do you use to cleanse your scalp before you DC? Does Kenra have silicones in it?

Also I've never tried avocado butter before...is it in any way comparable to shea butter or castor oil or is it in a league all it's own? Where do you purchase your avocado butter?

I co-wash every time I DC and I clarify once a month. I don't think Kenra has any silicones.

Girl, avocado butter is definitely in a league of its own. If you are having problems retaining moisture, I suggest you try avocado butter. There is nothing else like it imo. My hair stays soft and moisturized all day after I use it, and it just absorbs into my hair instead of sitting on it. It's so thick and creamy, my hair just loves it.

Shea butter sits on my hair and castor oil is okay but my hair is always really dry the next day if I only seal with castor oil. Neither are comparable to avocado butter.

shalom

Are you happy w/ the moisture level of your hair? ..

Yes I am.

If so, what are your current routines/products?

A couple of months ago I was having a problems because my hair was hard and brittle. What help was Organic Hair Moisturizer it's color is orange. I also use a kiddie shea butter leave in and a diluted Infusium 23 leave in.

And what would you ladies suggest I do before I have a breakdown & chop off all my hair?!!! :blush:

First clarify then try the Infusium 23 and the Kiddie shea butter. IC has a pink gel and that actually softens my hair. Whatever you do don't cut it. Hide the end until you determine which products work best for you.

HHG.

Mimi22

Yup :yep:

I've recently adopted co-washing after seeing it raved so much on the board. Its really great for keeping my hair so and smooth to touch. I use Herbal essences fruit fusions every other day. I ACV rinse every 10days. I first use NTM silk leave in, then depending on my mood, will use either Qhemet A & O heavy cream, Aveda Be curly, Fantasia IC curl or the body shop cottonseed curl boost for my wash 'n go. My hair stays soft, moisturised and manageable ALL day. I've cut down on using heat and combing everyday, so hopefully I'll see an improvement in length. :grin:

And what would you ladies suggest I do before I have a breakdown & chop off all my hair?!!!

Do an Aphogee or some other protein treatment as regularly as possible. I noticed that by adding protein to my regimen, my moisture levels significantly improved. Now I dont know the exact science behind it, but I'm sure one of the expert ladies like gymfreak can chime in :yep:
And try co-washing, its an amazing and stress relieving way to kick start your day or end your evening!

hth

CocoGlow

I co-wash every time I DC and I clarify once a month. I don't think Kenra has any silicones.

Girl, avocado butter is definitely in a league of its own. If you are having problems retaining moisture, I suggest you try avocado butter. There is nothing else like it imo. My hair stays soft and moisturized all day after I use it, and it just absorbs into my hair instead of sitting on it. It's so thick and creamy, my hair just loves it.

Shea butter sits on my hair and castor oil is okay but my hair is always really dry the next day if I only seal with castor oil. Neither are comparable to avocado butter.

Wow Sunshine0801..now you have me looking into this avocado butter..you say it's in a league of it's own! So where do you purchase yours?

Thanks again ladies for all your responses..this is really helping so many, not only ME :grin:

Keep it coming!!!....

Lucky's Mom

Don't let that stand in your way! I make homemade banana bread sometimes and I don't have lumps of banana in the batter. Go get yourself an immersion (stick) blender, so that you can really get in there to mix it up. Make sure your bananas are fairly ripe, and blend the bananas before you add anything else to them. Works for me everytime. HTH

I agree... I love my Caramel mixes - so this is a good idea - I mix them in my blender very well - no banana bits. And find the ripest ones in the store!

Dee Raven

Are you happy w/ the moisture level of your hair? .. Yes and no. I recently went to the salon to get my hair straightened, while I was there they gave me a really deep conidtioning treatment. My hair has felt incredibly soft and manageable since. But I can tell that the moisture is slowly going away. I feel that it's the products that I'm using. I've been using Aveda, and I don't really think that's great for my hair.

If so, what are your current routines/products? So I will go back to using the Nexxus line, which keeps my hair super soft (Humectress), and I will just doing clarifying rinses when I need to.

And what would you ladies suggest I do before I have a breakdown & chop off all my hair?!!! :blush: My recommendation to you is that you go to a salon (that knows how to deal with natural hair) and have them do a deep conditioning treatment. Even though the lady that I went to doesn't know how to deal with natural hair and I had a reversion issue, she still knew her stuff when it came to the conditioning of the hair. She was able to tell her assistant, exactly what products to put in my hair to give it a boost. The good stylists have enough experience and training to be able to do this. And I certainly to go back when my hair starts to get too dry again.

CocoGlow

I agree... I love my Caramel mixes - so this is a good idea - I mix them in my blender very well - no banana bits. And find the ripest ones in the store!

Hey samanthajones67 aka Steam Queen LOL .. when you say ripe, do you mean the really brown, mushy, falling apart bananas?

Are you happy w/ the moisture level of your hair? .. Yes and no. I recently went to the salon to get my hair straightened, while I was there they gave me a really deep conidtioning treatment. My hair has felt incredibly soft and manageable since. But I can tell that the moisture is slowly going away. I feel that it's the products that I'm using. I've been using Aveda, and I don't really think that's great for my hair.

If so, what are your current routines/products? So I will go back to using the Nexxus line, which keeps my hair super soft (Humectress), and I will just doing clarifying rinses when I need to.

And what would you ladies suggest I do before I have a breakdown & chop off all my hair?!!! :blush: My recommendation to you is that you go to a salon (that knows how to deal with natural hair) and have them do a deep conditioning treatment. Even though the lady that I went to doesn't know how to deal with natural hair and I had a reversion issue, she still knew her stuff when it came to the conditioning of the hair. She was able to tell her assistant, exactly what products to put in my hair to give it a boost. The good stylists have enough experience and training to be able to do this. And I certainly to go back when my hair starts to get too dry again.

Hey Dee Raven .. Do you know the name of the product that the salon used for your DC?

Thanka ladies!

natstar

Very happy :yep:

I wash and condition once a week. I think that the main contributers to the maintenance of moisture in my hair is Nexxus Humectress and coconut oil. Almost each night I section my hair into 4-6 sections and apply a small amount of humectress-then a spritz of water-and virgin coconut oil to my hair. I then braid each moisturized and sealed section up. In the morning my hair is shiny, soft and moisturized. If I skip a day-tha's cool. My hair stays moisturized. I may spritz w/water and braid it.

And what would you ladies suggest I do before I have a breakdown & chop off all my hair?!!!
Clarify, and try the moisturizers mentioned above. Also, I don't do too much to it. I don't co-wash (even though i would like to sometimes). Typically, I just wash 1x a week. I would moisturize w/something water based, then seal with an oil (LOVE coconut). Braiding or twisting in some sections helps too. Also- don't overload with a lot of styling products HTH

Last edited:

Sunshine0801

Wow Sunshine0801..now you have me looking into this avocado butter..you say it's in a league of it's own! So where do you purchase yours?

Thanks again ladies for all your responses..this is really helping so many, not only ME :grin:

Keep it coming!!!....

I ordered mine from www.oilsbynature.com. I think it was less than $10 for a whole pound of it.

Let us know how it works for you if you decide to get it! :)

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
The way you described the dryness of your hair made me think of my hair a few months ago. Right now I'm using Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus as a leave-in, and my hair feels so soft and moisturized for days. I also spray on some glycerin afterwards. These two things used together have turned my hair around.

natural2008

Girl I had been chemical free for 9 years and in March decided to wear my natural hair with no braids. Girl 41/2 months later I could not take all of the dryness and shrinkage with my 4b hair and got me a texturizer today and looooooooooooove it. My hair is shinny and I have the option to wear it straight or curly.

Have you thought about a texturizer?