NATURALS: Braids(Plaits) or Twists? and Why?

Braids or Twists? Why?

• Twists, because they are less time consuming

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • Twists, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting twistout

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • Braids, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting braidout

Votes: 33 23.1%
  • Neither, please state reason

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MummysGirl

Hi Ladies,
I am only halfway into my transition but I am always learning from Naturals :yep:
I stalk the BC Thread Tracker, I love natural's threads, I'm always in natural's fotkis, blogs, etc.

I can't wait to do braidouts and twistouts as a natural :yep:

Anyway...

I've noticed one thing - When not rocking a wash-n-go or other styles, most naturals do twists instead of braids (without extensions).

I'd like to do braids when I BC and put them up in a ponytail (like my middle siggy picture) and I think I'll have less shrinkage as they'll stretch out my hair instead of twists which have a lot of shrinkage. I know naturals are aware of the shrinkage but they still love twists so I want to know the reasons why twists are preferred over braids.

So naturals, which do you prefer and why (see poll)?
1. Twists, because they are less time consuming
2. Twists, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting twistout
3. Braids, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting braidout
4. Neither, please state reason

Thanks in Advance :)

scarcity21

I didnt vote bcos there is no one answer to what i do...lol...Im in twists most of the time (when im not in micros)...only bcos its less time consuming to put in and take out and i love the resulting twistout.
I still havent mastered a braid out, but when im in the mood for frequent wash n gos and also wanna show a little length, i go with braids. the resultant braid out for me is a BAA ( as in little to no definition)...HTH

MummysGirl

Thank you for your detailed response, I REALLY appreciate it :)

The poll allows multiple selections, I should have stated, oops.

I didnt vote bcos there is no one answer to what i do...lol...Im in twists most of the time (when im not in micros)...only bcos its less time consuming to put in and take out and i love the resulting twistout.
I still havent mastered a braid out, but when im in the mood for frequent wash n gos and also wanna show a little length, i go with braids. the resultant braid out for me is a BAA ( as in little to no definition)...HTH

tocktick

Currently, I prefer neither if I'm using my own hair. Couple some pathetic thin twists with shrinkage that brings them up to neck length, it's just not worth doing. Although my hair is dense, my twists never look full. I don't do braids on my own hair because it takes way too long for an end-result that is just so-so. Furthermore, braids and twists on my own hair look rough after one day and steam doesn't a thing. It's just a waste of time. I may re-visit these styles when my hair is full BSL but not right now.

When I used to do protective styles on my own hair, I did twists because it was less time-consuming to do and easier to take out. I would only keep them in for about 5 days though.

Ltown

Greyland
Since I'm transitioning at 47 weeks I was hoping that my twist/braidout would come out better with natural hair. I've used NTM/Cantu leave in both on damp/dry and usually it looks good the first day but the retwist is hot ugly mess.

Urban

I've been twisting for the past 4 months now. I think i prefer twists because they're easier to take out. I lose much less hair. But thing is, they have to be redone more often - redo mine every 1 or 2 weeks - which is more manipulation than I'd like. I've been considering doing braids that will last me 4 weeks or so.

MummysGirl

Hmmmm... I have fine strands but dense hair and I think I'll probably have similar results as you (they won't look full).

I've already noticed with my box braids, my new growth gets frizzy in the braids after my 1st cowash.

Currently, I prefer neither if I'm using my own hair. Couple some pathetic thin twists with shrinkage that brings them up to neck length, it's just not worth doing. Although my hair is dense, my twists never look full. I don't do braids on my own hair because it takes way too long for an end-result that is just so-so. Furthermore, braids and twists on my own hair look rough after one day and steam doesn't a thing. It's just a waste of time. I may re-visit these styles when my hair is full BSL but not right now.

When I used to do protective styles on my own hair, I did twists because it was less time-consuming to do and easier to take out. I would only keep them in for about 5 days though.

MummysGirl

Since I'm transitioning at 47 weeks I was hoping that my twist/braidout would come out better with natural hair. I've used NTM/Cantu leave in both on damp/dry and usually it looks good the first day but the retwist is hot ugly mess.
I replied you in the Transitioner's thread, keep trying - you'll get it right :)

I've been twisting for the past 4 months now. I think i prefer twists because they're easier to take out. I lose much less hair. But thing is, they have to be redone more often - redo mine every 1 or 2 weeks - which is more manipulation than I'd like. I've been considering doing braids that will last me 4 weeks or so.
I suspected that twists got rougher and were more likely to unravel than braids.
Hmm... so you think you'd lose more hair if you braid?
Thank you.

SEMO

I do braids when I just want a braidout (and I only put in a few big braids). I do twists when I plan to wear the style outside of the house. I like the look of twistouts better, but they take so much time. So I usually just stick to a few simple braids for a braidout.

NikStarrr

I didn't vote either because I luv both! I like each one for different reasons. Braidouts for me turn out more defined and look longer because a braid doesn't "puff" out as much as a twist when drying. I only do twistouts from big twists so someone who does little twists may get more defined twistouts. And I really like my twistouts because although they don't hang as long, it gives me a curlier more voluminous look. So it all depends on the look that I'm going for at the time.

ETA: I RARELY wear twists or braids out and about, if I do I usually throw a hat over them. I only put them in for style. Don't have the patience to do them good enough to wear as a style on their own. :D

Last edited:

tocktick

Hmmmm... I have fine strands but dense hair and I think I'll probably have similar results as you (they won't look full).

I've already noticed with my box braids, my new growth gets frizzy in the braids after my 1st cowash.

You're welcome. It's only recently that I've realised quite a lot of my strands are fine, so I think you're onto something about dense hair with fine strands. I also have normal/medium strands mixed in there but clearly not enough for fuller twists/braids. The thick strands are few and far between. I'm hoping that when my hair gets longer, it won't matter so much that those styles don't look full.

OT: I tried that Herbal Essences condish I asked you about on Fotki and I really liked it. It's definitely a staple now.

MummysGirl

I do braids when I just want a braidout (and I only put in a few big braids). I do twists when I plan to wear the style outside of the house. I like the look of twistouts better, but they take so much time. So I usually just stick to a few simple braids for a braidout.
Thanks you.
I won't be surprised if I end up doing braidouts or twistouts more often than braids or twists.

I didn't vote either because I luv both! I like each one for different reasons. Braidouts for me turn out more defined and look longer because a braid doesn't "puff" out as much as a twist when drying. I only do twistouts from big twists so someone who does little twists may get more defined twistouts. And I really like my twistouts because although they don't hang as long, it gives me a curlier more voluminous look. So it all depends on the look that I'm going for at the time.
Thank you... I'm loving my braidouts and twistouts as a transitioner and I hope I love them when I'm all natural.

MummysGirl

Yeah if my hair's longer, I won't care as much about it looking less full than I'd like. I'm so far away from that as a natural right now!

You liked the HE con? Ok, I need to pay close attention to the other products you use because most people seem to prefer Hello Hydration to it! My hair might like some other prods you use!

You're welcome. It's only recently that I've realised quite a lot of my strands are fine, so I think you're onto something about dense hair with fine strands. I also have normal/medium strands mixed in there but clearly not enough for fuller twists/braids. The thick strands are few and far between. I'm hoping that when my hair gets longer, it won't matter so much that those styles don't look full.

OT: I tried that Herbal Essences condish I asked you about on Fotki and I really liked it. It's definitely a staple now.

aa9746

I voted for the top two, however I wash/condition my hair a lot so I've been wearing braids lately because I don't have to worry about my hair combining and tangling as quick and I get less knots.

anon123

I prefer twists over braids because braids take too long and look less full. Seriously, they take me about 3-4 times as long to put in, in part because I feel I have to really part well for braids since they don't plump up to hide the scalp. And they take me 10 times as long to take out, and that's no exaggeration. Just not worth the hassle for me.

BrownEyez22

I prefer twists, but I never wear them as a style. I do them almost everynight & undo them in the morning, it's just the easiest way to put my hair up for the night.

My braidouts have alot of tiny crimps/waves and they look kinda thin to me, they are also harder to remove. I think fluffed out twists look better on my hair.

I'm going to try leaving twists in for a protective style when my hair gets longer.

Ronnieaj

I'm the same way. I only do braids for a braid-out; just wearing the braids as is looks incredibly silly on me. I do small twists, so it takes some time, but I keep it in for 5 days and then do a twistout for 2 before retwisting. I just get more mileage out of the twists.

MummysGirl

Thanks Ladies for your input! I'll be trying out some of your methods in 9.5 months :yep:

More input will be very appreciated :)

Last edited:

Celestial

I twist my hair because braids dry my hair out and it tends to break with braids. Twisting for me is less time consuming and it holds moisture better.

msa

Lookswise, I don't like either one. I have really thin hair (not dense at all) so they both look horrible on me. But, twists unravel way too quickly for me so I do braids instead. I can do everything in braids and they're very low maintenance, which I love. But they don't look "adult", classy, cute, or sophisticated at all so I know I won't be doing them again any time soon. If I didn't have to go out in public I'd do them all the time.

MummysGirl

Same thing I think about - twists will unravel, braids won't.

Thin? The 1st thing I thought when I noticed your siggy change a few weeks ago was, "I want that thick hair!!!!" You look like you have a lot of hair!

Thanks.

P.S. I love your hair!

Lookswise, I don't like either one. I have really thin hair (not dense at all) so they both look horrible on me. But, twists unravel way too quickly for me so I do braids instead. I can do everything in braids and they're very low maintenance, which I love. But they don't look "adult", classy, cute, or sophisticated at all so I know I won't be doing them again any time soon. If I didn't have to go out in public I'd do them all the time.

loolalooh

I prefer twists because:

- they are easier to do
- less time consuming
- easier to take down

I also like the look of twists better on me. My head appears less scalpy and my hair appears fuller.

bludaydreamr

^^^ITA. Twists fit better into my reggie, and I am not the best braider, nor do I like braidouts. Now that my hair is getting longer, I even stretch my hair in big twists for my puff.

discodumpling

Twists are quicker to do but I like braids because they last longer. My braid outs suck but my twist outs are great so I have my reasons for wearing each style.

Eluv

I prefer twists because:

- they are easier to do
- less time consuming
- easier to take down

I also like the look of twists better on me. My head appears less scalpy and my hair appears fuller.

I totally agree 100%.

My box braids just last longer, but a pain to undo.

Off the search how to get twist on fine/soft hair to last more than a week.

mscocoface

I am a twist girl. I did braids and braid outs for about 2 months just to see the difference.

I like with braids I don't have nearly the shrinkage I have with twists though. That was a huge bonus!!!

With twists I have to braid those at night to elongate them and in the morning it is not as much shrinkage. But if I don't...whew lawd I am back to neck length hair. Tis very frustrating.

msa

Same thing I think about - twists will unravel, braids won't.

Thin? The 1st thing I thought when I noticed your siggy change a few weeks ago was, "I want that thick hair!!!!" You look like you have a lot of hair!

Thanks.

P.S. I love your hair!

Thanks love! I actually always look at your hair and wish that's how mine looked :yep:.

I can perpetrate thickness with my hair, but it isn't actually thick. It looks good in a wash and go and in bantu knot outs but twist/braid outs look really thin and gross on me. And my actual braids and twists are quite thin and anorexic, poor things.

At the moment I'm trying to learn to love my thin hair. It's difficult though because I know no matter how long it gets, it probably won't look that great because it'll never be thick. But I'm going to force myself to love it anyway:yep:.

bludaydreamr

I totally agree 100%.

My box braids just last longer, but a pain to undo.

Off the search how to get twist on fine/soft hair to last more than a week.

I would suggest making then smaller in size, use Castor oil and Shea butter as a mix to seal them, which kinda weigh them down, and lastly moisturize at night and tie them down. If it is really humid my hair is just not going look good after more then about 8, 9 days. I made the mistake of twisting my hair to go to Alabama for the weekend, and by Monday my hair looked like I had week old twists.

MummysGirl

Thanks so much for the bolded!!!

I am a twist girl. I did braids and braid outs for about 2 months just to see the difference.

I like with braids I don't have nearly the shrinkage I have with twists though. That was a huge bonus!!!

With twists I have to braid those at night to elongate them and in the morning it is not as much shrinkage. But if I don't...whew lawd I am back to neck length hair. Tis very frustrating.