NATURALS: Braids(Plaits) or Twists? and Why?

Braids or Twists? Why?

• Twists, because they are less time consuming

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • Twists, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting twistout

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • Braids, because you prefer how they look and/or resulting braidout

Votes: 33 23.1%
  • Neither, please state reason

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MummysGirl

Thanks love! I actually always look at your hair and wish that's how mine looked :yep:.
:dance7::dance7::dance7:
Lol, thank so much!

At the moment I'm trying to learn to love my thin hair. It's difficult though because I know no matter how long it gets, it probably won't look that great because it'll never be thick. But I'm going to force myself to love it anyway:yep:.
Yes!! LOVE that hair because it's beautiful!

My braids (middle siggy pic) look ridiculously un-full (I know that's not a word, lol) when they're down so I always have them up or half-up, half down. I am really sure I'll face the same thing as a natural.

msa

My braids (middle siggy pic) look ridiculously un-full (I know that's not a word, lol) when they're down so I always have them up or half-up, half down. I am really sure I'll face the same thing as a natural.

I know exactly what you mean. Believe me, if you think yours aren't full you should see mine right now. I usually have them in a bun but it's so puny :nono:.

I think once my hair gets longer I'll like them much more because I'll be able to make a better bun. But that won't be for a long while I'm sure.

MummysGirl

I know exactly what you mean. Believe me, if you think yours aren't full you should see mine right now. I usually have them in a bun but it's so puny :nono:.

I think once my hair gets longer I'll like them much more because I'll be able to make a better bun. But that won't be for a long while I'm sure.

I've realised: I'm going to have to wait much longer than I thought to achieve a nicer bun in braids with my natural hair. My natural hair will have to be the length I am at right now (AT LEAST 2 years of new growth).

Pooks

Both - just depends on how I'm feeling. Plaits I get done small and they will last up to 5 weeks with regular rinsing/cowashing/DCing. Twists look nicer IMO, but don't last as long for me - past 2 weeks they start trying to loc. I have yet to wear twist outs or braid outs as an outdoor style...

ETA: If I had to do my hair in anything individual myself I would probably vote for twists all the way! On the occasions that I do my own hair its usually canerows with some twisted chinee bumps aka bantu knots. Single plaits done by me... on my own head... eventually...... when it becomes absolutely necessary (I'm so lazy!) :look:

Last edited:

LongHairNWaiting

I twisted my hair for the first time, and it was cute....sexy and felt aphrocentric! I love it!

But, I started the C~n~G method and realized that my twist would not hold, so I took my twist down 1 at a time and begain complete braids. I LOVE THEM!!

Soooo, I find it best that I braid my hair with kinky twist hair - the hold is better when I wash!

bnatural

I prefer to do twists. It takes less time and I love how my hair looks. I only tried to do plaits a couple of times but it takes forever.

blackbarbie986

I voted twist because they take a lot less time to do, but after reading some post and looking at fotkis the other night I decided to do little braids. I'm wondering how long this is going to take, never braided my hair before. Can twist my whole head in an hour and a half, but these braids....

berryblack

I'm pretty much a twist girl. A year or two ago, I tried a braid out when my hair was shorter and it was very wack! This week; however, I did it and looked very decent. The only problem was that they were hard to undo. I was in a time crunch and I ended up having to wear a hat 'cuz I couldn't get two of them to unravel:perplexed. I did enjoy the length they provided. My twists barely touch my shoulders sometimes.

MummysGirl

I've seen some really small braids (Nigerian Queen on fotki comes to mind) which look like they took more than 2ce the time it would have taken to do twists of the same size. They were pretty though. I'll do them as a natural if they can last more than 4 weeks.

I voted twist because they take a lot less time to do, but after reading some post and looking at fotkis the other night I decided to do little braids. I'm wondering how long this is going to take, never braided my hair before. Can twist my whole head in an hour and a half, but these braids....

locfreeme

Braids for me but I don't wear them in anticipation of a braidout. Braidouts and twistouts don't last long enough for me to make them worth the effort. My hair is not that long (about 7-8" in strand length) but it is thick and so dense that I easily have enough hair on my head for two people. So when I braid my hair it's because I plan to wear it in the braids.

I typically do medium size box braids (about 1 cm wide) then I put the braids in big plaits and pin-curl the plaits. When I take it down it's a curly braided style that I usually wear with a headband or scarf. Sometimes I twist the braids up into bantu knots, or cornrow them, etc. Other times I pull them back and slap a wig on top. :yep: I can wash and condition my hair in braids and I wear them for several weeks. I actually think they look better when they are a week or two old because they are fuller.

I love the look of twists and twistouts but they are not practical for me. :sad: They just don't last long enough...

JollyGal

I'm natural and have always prefered twists to plaits/natural braids.

I am currently wearing natural box braids- small ones but my hair looked much healthy and fuller with twists. Now it just flies away with the wind lol

I've only been in plaits for a week since taking out my braid extensions so I will give it about a month. Do a braidout and see what happens then

My shrinkage is the same in both. It's not so bad

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
I like both but for different reasons.

Twists

pros:
-take less time
-look good on me

cons:
-look messy after a week
-can't be washed without tangles
-shrink like crazy

Braids
pros:
-can be worn and washed for weeks and still look good
-braidouts are awesome
-no tangles
-little to no shrinkage

cons:
-I don't look good with them
-get a lot drier than twists

Leeda.the.Paladin

I like braids for their longevity and the resulting braid out, but taking those suckers out SUCKS. It takes so long to undo them and I have to be careful of tangles. Twists work well for me, can last long, look good, and are super easy to take out.

MummysGirl

Braids for me but I don't wear them in anticipation of a braidout. Braidouts and twistouts don't last long enough for me to make them worth the effort. My hair is not that long (about 7-8" in strand length) but it is thick and so dense that I easily have enough hair on my head for two people. So when I braid my hair it's because I plan to wear it in the braids.

I typically do medium size box braids (about 1 cm wide) then I put the braids in big plaits and pin-curl the plaits. When I take it down it's a curly braided style that I usually wear with a headband or scarf. Sometimes I twist the braids up into bantu knots, or cornrow them, etc. Other times I pull them back and slap a wig on top. :yep: I can wash and condition my hair in braids and I wear them for several weeks. I actually think they look better when they are a week or two old because they are fuller.

I love the look of twists and twistouts but they are not practical for me. :sad: They just don't last long enough...
Oooh, thanks for sharing :) I should hopefully be at your current length when I BC @ 18 months. This sounds like something I will definitely try out.

I'm natural and have always prefered twists to plaits/natural braids.

I am currently wearing natural box braids- small ones but my hair looked much healthy and fuller with twists. Now it just flies away with the wind lol

I've only been in plaits for a week since taking out my braid extensions so I will give it about a month. Do a braidout and see what happens then

My shrinkage is the same in both. It's not so bad
Yeah it seems like hair looks less full in box braids, thank you.

I like both but for different reasons.

Twists

pros:
-take less time
-look good on me

cons:
-look messy after a week
-can't be washed without tangles
-shrink like crazy

Braids
pros:
-can be worn and washed for weeks and still look good
-braidouts are awesome
-no tangles
-little to no shrinkage

cons:
-I don't look good with them
-get a lot drier than twists
Thank you!

Thank you all ladies!!!!

cmw45

Without extensions I prefer twist because I think they look better. With extensions I prefer braids because they stay looking neat longer.

ETA: For braid outs/twist outs, I DEFINITELY prefer braids because I think they look much more defined and last a lot longer. Twist outs to me usually look much clumpier (frizzier) and less...er...neat. Just my .02.

Last edited:

oooop2

Prefer twist. I don't like spending too much time on my hair, so large twists work for me. And I love big fluffy twistouts, so I can accomplish both with twist. The 1 and only time I did box braids, I HATED them. And the braidouts didn't look that great.

Creatividual

I like twists. They are quicker to do and look great. Only prob I have with mine is I'm not able to wash my hair in them without them coming undone.

Last edited:

Rei

I usually do twists, and redo them every week. I don't think thats too much manipulation, lol touching your hair once a week seems pretty good to me. I retwist on the weekends. However, I am trying out pixie braids right now. They look..well. alright. Pretty much the same as my twists, just with less shrinkage, and I get wicked bedhead after sleeping on them (I wake up looking like medusa!) I notice that my hair is a bit dryer in braids though. But at least my 3c nape isn't constantly unraveling like it does when I have twists. They fuzz up, but I don't care about fuzz. Tbqh I work and go to school with mostly yt men and they couldn't tell the difference between a twist and a plait if it got up and slapped them in the face, so I haven't really been caring about the aesthetics of each one over another. I just think these will last longer. I'm watching like a hawk for any sign of dreading though.

bablou00

I love me some twist. I haven't tried braids yet because I think my hair is too short. Twist just seem to fit my lifestyle right now and look better on me. I hate the time I have to put into them. Its taking me up to 7hrs and I don't know if its because I do them so small or if my hair is thick or that I'm a newbie to this natural haircare. When my hair gets longer I hope to try braid outs because I did that during my transition and I liked them then.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'll vote on this when I BC. I only had one successful flat twist still my past natural journey. I can't wait to see what I can do with my hair with my new found knowledge!:yep:

FindingMe

I have dense, coarse, wiry hair. I like them both. Both have benefits and provide a different look. I wore both regularly while I transitioned.

Braidouts are more defined and control the roots better.

Twistouts are more of a wavy texture and take less time to do.

Then, it just depended on the mood I'm in. Now that I'm natural, I haven't yet done a braid out on my natural hair. I've just been doing twists bc they are so easy and fast and I was so excited bc I didn't have to use rollers on the end of my hair...:lol:

Thanks for reminding me, OP that I love braidouts as well. I will try a braidout on my hair next time I wash, I even have a new product I want to try...

spacetygrss

Twists take me a little more time to put in, but a lot less time to take out than braids. I can just stick my finger between the two strands at the base and pull my finger to the end to unravel. Braids require me to pick them apart at the end, which typically ends up with me getting frustrated and hair breakage.

Sapphire_chic

Taking notes for when i"m natural. :) i noticed i get alot of ssk when i leave twists in for a week, this makes me lean towards single plaits/box braids.

fyb87

I voted neither. I have fine hair (some medium here and there) and the few times I did twists they were puny little things. Scalp for days :lachen::lachen: Braids would result in being even more puny!:ohwell::nono: But, honestly I love my WnGs because I love my natural curls better. I would love to wear twists (can't braid) though because then I wouldn't have to worry about styling for a while.

Nonie

If I'm not using extensions, I prefer twists. They are easy to do and easy to undo. Braids w/o extensions are so hard to undo. I need to get struggle to get my nail right inside the braid to undo (or undo in front of a mirror with a comb so I can be sure to insert it right at the right spot--I guess I could feel for that w/o a mirror too). But using a comb is such a cumbersome way to undo my hair.

When wearing extensions I prefer braids because undoing them is as easy as undoing twists. The additional hair helps keep my hair strands separated in their three sections so that there's no "tight bonding". Braids hold better than twists so I'd not do kinky twists since I need to wash my hair lots of times w/o the extension hair sliding out.

I like how both styles look, so I choose according to practicality.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I like both but I prefer natural twists when wearing them as a style rather than natural braids. They’re easier to put in and take down, plus I like the overall look.

Newtogrow

I voted for twists. I have fine hair so I put small ones in so that I won't be scalped:ohwell:

I spray my twists in the morning and they swell so that my hair doesn't look limp and thin. If I tried to wear my hair in braids with my own hair, I'd look crazy!!!

I keep my twists in for about 4-6 weeks. I co-wash often and retwist in sections. I usually do this on long weekends, I'm putting small twist in now because I'm off on Monday and no kids were at school today so I started last night.