Naturals, did you have to do a 2nd BC?

caribeandiva

Human being
I think i might have to BC again or at least cut more hair off. why? Because I see straight ends all over my head, especially when my hair is wet. Is that what is called scab hair? A part of me wants to wait a few months before cutting, while another part of me doesn't. Did anybody else go through that?

prettybyrd

I don't think that you will have to BC twice. But if the ends are too straight, you may need to follow up with trims until the straight ends are gone. I used to get my hair trimmed every two weeks until it was uniform - or as close as I could get to uniform. It may set you back a few months if you have a length goal in mind, but beats cutting all your growth again.
HTH :)

ETA - I'm not sure if this is what scab hair is supposed to be. I was once told that there is no such things as scab hair, and then told again, that everyone who starts wearing natural hair from relaxers has scab hair - I wish I could be of more help there, but hopefully some of the other hair geniuses will respond. Good luck.

Last edited:

LuvlyRain3

Sounds like scab hairs to me. Especially if they feel kinda rough. They say that if you baby them and keep them well moisturized eventually the chemical effects will go away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Yes. On May 1st, 2005, I did my 1st BC and was left with about 3-4 inches of hair. Then I had let my mom press it with a stove hot comb and this weird grease. It left my hair permanently straight and smelled like sulfur. So then on May 13th, 2005, I had my hair shaved down by a hairstylist to less than 1/2 an inch. After that, I just grew it out.

Amerie2304

My first post - yay!

Yes, I did. My last relaxer was in Feb. and I BC'd myself in June. I think I had about 2 inches of new growth. But after I cut it as short as I did, my ends weren't curling at all, just sticking straight up and I hated it. I didn't want to cut my hair any shorter so I decided to put a full head weave in and I hated that too! That's when I BC'd again in July down to about 1 inch and I had to actually cut some of my natural hair to get rid of the straight ends. My hair is about 3 inches now, maybe a little longer.

caribeandiva

Human being
My first post - yay!

Yes, I did. My last relaxer was in Feb. and I BC'd myself in June. I think I had about 2 inches of new growth. But after I cut it as short as I did, my ends weren't curling at all, just sticking straight up and I hated it. I didn't want to cut my hair any shorter so I decided to put a full head weave in and I hated that too! That's when I BC'd again in July down to about 1 inch and I had to actually cut some of my natural hair to get rid of the straight ends. My hair is about 3 inches now, maybe a little longer.

I'm very honored that your first post was in my thread! Yay!! Welcome to the forum!

Guitarhero

I've heard that scab hairs aren't straight at all, they are like 10x the kink you would normally have and very close to the hard joint (between relaxed and natural hair). They are hairs that are not soft and pliable, nor are they easy to deal with whether you big chop or not. Have you gotten heat damage from flat-ironing?

pookaloo83

I just cut some of the straight ends the other day. It was getting to be annoying. It was just on the ends. And they were kinda rough and wiry too.

caribeandiva

Human being
I've heard that scab hairs aren't straight at all, they are like 10x the kink you would normally have and very close to the hard joint (between relaxed and natural hair). They are hairs that are not soft and pliable, nor are they easy to deal with whether you big chop or not. Have you gotten heat damage from flat-ironing?

I don't use heat at all.

Alta Angel

I did my own BC in September and I still have some straight ends in the front especially. I plan on going to the salon in December for a .5-1 inch trim, so hopefully any remaining straight ends will be clipped.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Some naturals do have strait hair and textured. My friend definitely does. Look at the strait hair and make sure it is scab hair. If you are using a lot of heat, then maybe that could be the reason.

ycj1

Yes I did this August and I hated to do it but I really had no choice in the matter. I orig. bc'd in Dec 08 and kept my hair in yarn braids from Feb 09 til July this yr. Well I really got tired of the yarn braids and taking them out so often so I decided to give the braids a rest.

Well to my dismay I noticed alot of straight ends sticking out everywhere when I washed my hair.

I ended up cutting off 2-3 in since then to my natual hair. Although I hated to do it I'm glad I did! No more chemical residuals in my hair. Thank God!

I am at 4 inches of hair left, but that's ok too cuz I know my hair will be growing in healthier than before I chopped! I'm being optimistic about the whole venture I've been through. I figure by this time next yr I should be armpit or a little beyond if I keep up with my healthy hair practices. Especially with me dillegently using my Castor Oil and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

You all just watch and see.

JuiceMobsta

Are you sure you cut off all the straight ends when you big chopped? Its probably just left over relaxed ends...meaning your hair wasnt chopped off right at the demarcation line..alot of ppl on youtube had the issue of leftover straight relaxed ends so they clipped them off whenever they saw them. HTH :)