Naturals- Hot Oil Treatments vs Conditioners

Vivien

Which do you prefer to use after shampooing? I've tried so many conditioners on my hair and none have given me moisture and softness, so I'm considering giving up on them altogether and conditioning with oils instead.

canuck

i usually precondition (once a week) with a cheap conditioner and castor oil. I put my hair under a plastic bag (like the ones you get from the supermarket) and make my body heat steam it up.

niiiice.

When i do finish washing and conditioning, i do mix conditioner with a little bit of castor oil and apply to wet hair before i twist it.

Works a treat.

londongirl3

I do both. I use hot oil as a pre shampoo. I have a sample of V05 which I haven't used but I have been plugging it for quite a while.

Have you tried ORS Hair mayo. I love it because it leaves my hair soft after it dries. It's a bit pricey for a conditioner but it's well worth it, for me.

Being in UK, you can also try superdrug's coconut oil intensive conditioner or henna intensive conditioner(Both are cheap as chips,u know superdrug /images/graemlins/wink.gif). They are both great for combing out but you will need to moisturise your hair with curl activator or lotion or something when it dries /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

By the way, have you tried curl activator as a moisturiser, it's been a complete revolution for me.

londongirl3

Oh you use heat canuck! I don't because I suffer from severe shrinkage which I detest. I found just leaving the conditioner without heat helps alot on not accentuating the shrinkage. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

msladymam

Vivien, I'm trying the no oil routine. For some reason my hair doesn't react well to oil. A hot oil treatment does nothing for me. I'm a deep conditioner gal.

hairfanatic

Hi Vivien /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I love to use my conditioners after shampooing and my hot oil treatments before it. It's not a choice for me of one without the other but part of my over all system.

NubianAngel

I use to do hot oil treatments but then my hair started taking too long to do. Now, I do a conditioner wash and then a deep conditioning treatment with heat, and I get the same good resilts.

canuck

no i dont use actuall heat. I usually just go jogging, or run on the spot for a few minutes or something - that's my 'body' heat turning the cling wrap moisture on. I try and keep the bag on my head for as long as i can. But then, i usually do it on a sunday since i dont go anywhere... /images/graemlins/drunk.gif