Naturals: How do you detangle your hair really well?

MissJ

I've had a hard time with this. After my trim in August it was like butter combing through my hair, but now, the tangles and stuff are back. The roots start to dread, and I have a mess. I want to detangle my hair really well and have a stylist straighten it over the weekend. What method do you use to detangle your hair?

Auburn

Do a steam treatment and then detangle from the tips to the roots with a denman brush, wide tooth comb, or your fingers.

MrsQueeny

For me it starts before I wash. I pre-poo with castor oil and use my fingers to get out some of the tangles and spread apart any areas that have started to dread. I also put my hair in 4 sections and loosely braid each. I take one down, wash, keeping it taut, while smoothing it down then I rinse and re-braid. I do the same with conditioner but use my fingers once again to take out any tangles. When I detangle, I make sure my hair is wet and has something on to make the comb glide like castor oil or avocado butter. If it starts to dry, I spray it with water. HTH Q

SEMO

After shampooing, when my hair is loaded with conditioner, I use a Denman brush to do all of my thorough detangling.

JustKiya

Once a week, I take my twists down, and finger comb through my hair well, to get rid of the biggest knots/tangles. Then, I soak my hair in conditioner, and let it sit for at least an hour or so. Then, I break my hair into 3-5 sections, and starting from tip to root, I first comb through with my wide toothed comb, then with my medium toothed comb, then with my Denman. After I do that, I twist each section up and pin in down.
When I rinse, I take my denman into the shower, and I brush through each section as I rinse it.
I get out the shower, with my sections still in twists, and let them mostly dry. Then, I take them down, oil with castor oil, comb through with the medium tooth comb, and braid them up to airdry.
When I'm ready to do my twists, I comb through each section (after dousing it in leave-in moisturizer) with a rattail comb, to insure it's totally detangled.

A week later, I repeat it all over again. And even with all that, sometimes I still have velcro ends - it's a sign that I either need an acid rinse, a salt treatment, a clarifying treatment, or a trim. So far (it's been 18 months) I've never gotten to the point of actually trimming.

LunadeMiel

1. Detangle with fingers
2. Detangle with widetooth comb
3. Detangle with medium tooth comb
4. Detangle with fine tooth comb
5. Detanble with Denman to remove all shed hair.

This takes about 5 mins or less. I always do it with conditioner in my hair.

Anancy

What's really helped me with detangling is parting my hair into four and lightly twist each section. If i didn't part my hair it would be uncontrollable and i wouldn't know which parts i have detangled.

I find it easy when i pre-poo overnight because by the morning my hair is really soft, i may add a little extra oil to my hair then detangle each section.

me-T

ya'll are referring to the d3 denman right? i have one already, but if i need a diff one when i get more natural 4a/b hair, lemme know

oh, what's the name of that shower comb? jilbere? does that help?

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
  • Co-wash
  • Rinse
  • Part hair into 4 quadrants
  • Drench each section in coconut oil
  • Apply leave-in conditioner on top of the coconut oil
  • Detangle using wide tooth comb one section at a time
  • Detangle further using Denman one section at a time
The detangling part literally takes me 2 minutes ... 5 minutes tops.

BillsBackerz67

load hair with conditioner. Spearate hair into sections...usually 4. Comb through each section with a wide tooth. Then I either brush with the denman, or comb carefully with a fine toothed comb.

foxxymami

I think for me, I have to make sure I dont let it get to a point where its too too tangled. Everything goes downhill from there.

This is the only thing I struggle with lately, and especially after taking down my twists and saw how long my hair has grown. Once I master the art of detangling, it'll be smooth sailing from there

lilsparkle825

definitely conditioner - wide tooth comb (every cowash) - denman (once a week or so).

i discovered something though; if my hair is well moisturized when it is fully dry, it's SO much easier to detangle. i usually leave in some conditioner and just let my hair go for 3-4 days without putting anything else on it, but lately i have been rinsing out all the conditioner and using baby buttercreme right after i wash and then again before i step out in the morning (i cowash at night nowadays). not only is my hair softer but i can run my fingers through it when it is dry AND when it is wet. i didnt even use the wide tooth comb tonight when i detangled, just my fingers was sufficient.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I am extremely tender-headed and my hair matts and dreads. For extreme dry, matted tangles:
  1. Saturate entire head and rinse under running water.
  2. Squeeze out excess water.
  3. Spray hair with mixture (water, castor oil, glycerin, aloe vera mix)
  4. Saturate hair with mixture
  5. Section hair with my fingers.
  6. Smooth hair into a downward direction, then put into 4-10 loose braids.
  7. Wash hair in braids (dilute shampoo/cleanser/powder apply to hair)
  8. Rinse braids.
  9. Unbraid one section at a time, slather with conditioner rebraid. Repeat until all braids are done.
  10. Rinse conditioner out of first braid, smooth hair with fingers
  11. Put comb at roots to move tangle from my scalp. (This is the point where I use a comb, not anywhere before this point.)
  12. Twist hair at root, then proceed to comb from ends up.
  13. Detangle, rinse out excess conditioner, comb and detangle. Repeat until whole head is done.
I think that I am an extreme case because I am so very tender-headed, my hair tangles and matts at the root and the ends and my hair is thick and long. I don't think most people have these kinds of issues. I consider myself the queen of detangling. With the above process I lose very little hair and my eyes don't water so much.

The best thing is to try to style your hair daily in ways that minimizes tangles. For me, there are just some styles that I really shouldn't wear. If I do wear them, I know that my tangles are going to be worse than usual.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I usually saturate my hair with conditioner and then fingercomb it a bit. And then I get under the shower stream while I comb it with the Denman or a widetoothed comb