How long does it take YOU to detangle?

How long does it take you to detangle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Not sure what I'm doing wrong but when I attempt to detangle in the shower, my hair feels all soft and smooth but by the time I get out and try to apply leave-ins, etc. My hair is back tangled it. I've even tried pooing in braids, still the same result -- tangled.

sound

how long does it take you to detangle? about 30 mins total.
What is your hair type? 4a
How do you detangle and how often? once a week. I detangle my DRY hair with oil and my fingers before I wash my hair. I detangle my WET hair before I rinse the deep conditioner with my shower comb or denman.

I never really had a problem detangling my 4a hair in the first place, but I do know that detangling with my hands first is very helpuful.

dancinstallion

It takes me days sometimes to detangle. I am kinky relaxed and I am never detangling for less than an hour. I cry each week. I wash my hair once a week and wear it in a Bun, or afro, or ponytail through out the week. When I stretched for six months I had to detangle for 5 days when I relaxed. I don't use regular lye or no lye relaxers so I could relax my hair more often without damaging it. But I have to sit under the dryer to do it and it takes alot of time. So That is why I stretched for so long. But i will never do that again. I tried to put alot of conditioner on my hair and detangle and that worked a little bit but not enough. I think I shed to much and that is what is causing the tangles/knots. I hate it. I detangle for way more than an hour. It is ridiculous.

I also noticed that some of the leave ins I am putting in does make my hair stick together. That may be the root to some of my tangles.

tocktick

About 40-45 mins, unfortunately. I typically have to section my hair into 4 and add condish to all sections after shampooing. I split each quadrant into 2 and finger comb each section one at a time. Then I have to go over that with a medium-tooth comb and if I have it on hand my Denman. The completed section gets twisted up and I move onto the other part of the quadrant. It easily takes 10 mins doing just the one quadrant because of the amount of combing I do. I only do this kind of detangling once a week though.

Tangled hair is probably what kills my retention most often when my hair is not braided, so it needs to be extremely thorough. Sadly, I had to learn the hard way about this one. Baggying and low-manip when my hair is loose helps keep the tangling at bay. As does the occasional finger comb during the week in the morning when my hair is a little more damp.

♦K.O♦

Normally 15-20 minutes. I do it outside of the shower, after applying leave-ins, oil, and sometimes serum. I use my fingers, widetooth comb, and then my Denman brush. I try to wash 2 times per week (more in summer), but sometimes it's only once a week.

Soon i'll be 13 months post.

Last edited:

Aggie

Sometimes less than 15 minutes and sometimes up to 30 minutes. This is dependent upon whether or not I henna'ed my hair or not. When I henna my hair, it takes about 30 minutes to detangle it.

Janet'

I have to stay on top of things or I will be in trouble. You should probably detangle twice a week or every three days. In between, braid your hair at night with oil.

I'm a 4A 3C natural and if I go over a week say with just my hair pulled back it will be matted at the roots. I had my hair in a bun for a min and when I washed it took about 1 & 1/2 hours to get through the sections. My strands are fine and dense. I keep saying I have to do better so I detangled again two days later and braided in between. The second time took 15-20 min under the shower. My hair is basically bra strap length

I totally agree! In order to keep hair on my head, I have to wash once a week and detangle once a week. For me, it is a fine line...If I wash too much and manipulate too much, I'll pull hair out of my head...If I don't wash soon enough, I will come into so many tangles and ssks that I am about ready to cut all of my hair off:wallbash:

BTW...I voted that even on a good day, it takes 45 to 60 minutes because I try to take my time...

ilah

Attempted this last night and still hand tangles. :wallbash: It's obvious I did it wrong. My hair was coming undone (unbraided) while massaging...it was a mess. I'm relaxed and maybe that's why the braids wouldn't stay in... you think?

Really!?! Hmmmmmm....:ohwell: I don't think you being relaxed has anything to do with it. I'm currently wearing my hair straight durring my transition so it's straight when I braid it....

What are you putting on the ends of your braids to keep them from coming undone?? I'm using regular ponytail holders. (If you have something better then use those) - there's a pic of my hair in my fotki under 9 month progress...pleas take a look that way you can get a better idea.

As far as cleaning hair...I don't use large motions. Small motions with fingers going in the direction of hair (meaning from root to tip).

Last edited:

afrikurl

I've tried a few ways including finger detangling and not combing. For now what works for me is keeping my hair stretched all week. Before washing I braid my hair in 6-8 braids,leaving the roots a little puffy so I can slide my finger under and scrub my scalp. I apply deep conditioner as I unbraid one at a time, add a smidge of water(I'm out of the shower) and detangle with shower comb, rebraid, put on heat cap and DC. I rinse and airdry with the braids.

divachyk

Really!?! Hmmmmmm....:ohwell: I don't think you being relaxed has anything to do with it. I'm currently wearing my hair straight durring my transition so it's straight when I braid it....

What are you putting on the ends of your braids to keep them from coming undone?? I'm using regular ponytail holders. (If you have something better then use those) - there's a pic of my hair in my fotki under 9 month progress...pleas take a look that way you can get a better idea.

As far as cleaning hair...I don't use large motions. Small motions with fingers going in the direction of hair (meaning from root to tip).
case closed --- I wasn't using anything on the tips of my hair :lachen:so that explains it. i'm so silly. something so simple that i didn't even think of that. wow. thank you my friend. checked out your fotki and love the progress.

LaFemmeNaturelle

So I "deep conditioned" for the first time this year, without heat for about 5 hours. Detangling was....not a breeze. Took about 30 minutes in 4 sections but still better than my usual hour. So I will start DCing once a week......I did one section in the shower and it was very easy. It took about 5 minutes and I didn't lose much hair but I can't stay in the shower an extra 20 minutes so I'll have to stick to doing it on damp hair.

divachyk

So I "deep conditioned" for the first time this year, without heat for about 5 hours. Detangling was....not a breeze. Took about 30 minutes in 4 sections but still better than my usual hour. So I will start DCing once a week......I did one section in the shower and it was very easy. It took about 5 minutes and I didn't lose much hair but I can't stay in the shower an extra 20 minutes so I'll have to stick to doing it on damp hair.
detangling for me use to be horrible until yesterday :grin:, I think I found something that works...a bit lengthy but it's worth it (for me) to not have tangles.

Step 1: I seperate hair in 4 sections. Gently comb each section to ensure it's not tangled, apply DC and comb through hair again, braid hair and secure the ends of my braids with a rubber band. I end up with four braids in my hair once I'm done with this step.

Step 2: I wash my hair in sections -- I take down one braid at a time. I wash, apply rinse out conditioner, rebraid and secure with rubber band. Repeat until all braids are washed and applied with rinse out conditioner. Throw on shower cap to let rinse out conditioner sit on hair for a few minutes. Shower my body. Take cap off, rinse out conditioner by taking one braid down at a time, rinse, comb through hair while water is running down hair. I think the force of the water helps with detangling. Braid hair back up and secure with rubber band. Repeat until all braids are done. Once I was out of the shower...no tangles! That's unheard of for my hair! HTH!

azuquita_morena

- 30 minutes to detangle, w/ conditioner in 4 sections using crown & glory method
- I do my main detangling (w/ comb) once a week, but finger detangle every day or every other day w/ cowashes
- I have 3c/4a, fine hair
- I've been natural for almost 4 years, and got rid of relaxed ends after 1.5 years

ilah

case closed --- I wasn't using anything on the tips of my hair :lachen:so that explains it. i'm so silly. something so simple that i didn't even think of that. wow. thank you my friend. checked out your fotki and love the progress.

Girl don't even trip, lord knows I'm not the brightest in the bunch. I've done some pretty silly things myself so it's nothing. Let me know how the next wash goes though!

jry2lnghair

I'm natural and it takes me about five minutes to detangle in the shower with cheapie conditioner. My hair is roughly at APL and I detangle once a week.

Lexib

Last week with my 54 week post hair - close to an hour. Now - maaaaaybe 3 minutes.

I'm 4b and detangle once a week to once every 1.5 weeks when I'm on a long term stretch.

Last edited:

MadisonK

It takes me about 30 seconds. I am a 3c with hair a wee bit longer than a TWA. I co-wash once...sometimes twice a day. I just pour Suave conditioner or thin conditioner on my hair and run my fingers thru.

I wonder if it will get harder to detangle with length...hmmm. :rolleyes:

lovegymnasts

I detangle as I am styling so I don't think that counts.
The couple of times I have detangled my entire head for a wash-n-go, it's taken me 15 minutes or less. I do not allow my hair to get really tangled. I'm in twists most of the time and I wash my hair in braids.

how long does it take you to detangle?
please see above
What is your hair type?
4A
How do you detangle?
I detangle on wet moisturized hair at my bathroom counter
and how often?
once a week on wash day

Okay, I just timed myself today (wash day).
It took me 30 minutes to moisturize, detangle my hair, and put them into 9 pre-styling braids. It doesn't feel like it takes that long.

Also, it took me 40 minutes to do my twists. Dang, I was amazed at this. I have gotten a lot faster with them.

BEAUTYU2U

I detangle about once a week during wash day, I detangle then put the section in twists. If I'm wanting a nice twistout, I'll make the twists smaller so it'll take me longer for that but the actual detangling takes about five minutes tops.

steffiejoe

I detangle once a week with conditioner in my hair.My hair is plaited in 4-6 sections.I detangle one section at a time, and re-plait.It takes me about 30 minutes . I think I am 4a.

iri9109

less than 5 minutes...i really do hate hair typing, but i guess 4a/3c...i used to detangle everyday or every other day with a denman, but now i just load up with a slippery condish and detangle with my fingers once a week in the shower

kayte

It takes me days sometimes to detangle. I am kinky relaxed and I am never detangling for less than an hour.

this is me^^^^ except for the relaxed part..I'm...kinky nappy corkscrew fully natural
my hair is 4...whatever is the most textured....4C?
It is THE hardest part of my hair journey................. detangling :(
I wish-wish I could find an ideal detangler that would melt my wild knotty hair
it's about full APL probably closer MBL with a few strands hair almost at waist

A cashier at Staples took one look at my hair and said come here
sat me down..without my saying anything ....
said ...listen-my daughter has YOUR hair...and she used to cry and it took me 4 hours to detangle her hair but then I used ...she said.....either the PAUL MITCHELL LINE
or the John something with frizz control

and then she said aftr that? her daughter's hair was like 15 -20 miutes ...no tears
I was like ...yeah yeah yeah and I wrote it down but lost it
I have to find her...

she told me once I'd used it ... I'd be back to thank her ...lol

Last edited: