Naturals, How do you eliminate frizz in your bantu knots or twist outs? please help!

Mook's hair

Re: Naturals, How do you eliminate frizz in your bantu knots or twist outs? please he

The ONLY time I get a good twist out is if I've let the twists "marinate :)" for at least a week - preferably 2. And I "moisturize" with coconut oil every night. I can NEVER get a decent "overnight twist out". And my twists have to be small. I guess b/c my hair is thick, large twists make my hair look that much puffier.

my experience is the same.

I've also had luck usinf (all natural) Bee Mine Curly Butter or (over the counter lottabody setting lotion.

melodies815

Re: Naturals, How do you eliminate frizz in your bantu knots or twist outs? please he

Girl, I have been cone free for at least 8 months now, and my half relaxed, and half natural hair is still frizz city!! :lachen:I don't have much luck with braidouts, but I'm gonna keep experimenting, tho!! Thanks for the thread, it gives me hope and ...ideas!

Do you use a dab of gel for your styles?

cj

melodies815

I completely agree. The small amount of gel makes a big difference in my twist outs. I use Eco-styler along with my leave in ( TW shea butter leave in) and i detangle to avoid frizz at the ends.

I normally just put on a bonnet at night and spray with some infusim leave in and water in the morning. That dampens my hair a little and actually gives it a nice curl.

If you leave ur twist outs in a while like i do...to get a new look using an old style......wet your hair in the shower and put some conditioner in it GENTLY..rinse..apply some oil ( not cream ) and let it air dry....TALK ABOUT A WASH N GO! IT'S AMAZING!

Ooooohhh..I forgot that I did this once when rushing to get out of the house. It was an accident, and I could never recall what I did until your post. Thanks for reminding me!!!

Great style!!

cj

MzJai

LOL Melodie! I found that style by accident also. for some reason my curls pop so much more right after a twist out with some help from a conditioner and a little oil.......Instead of it drying into a frizz ball it looks like i was BORN with a full head of 3C hair!

cmw45

I love your hair, the '07 styles and the longer styles. Did you twist out on wet hair or on dry hair?

Wet hair.

The key to getting the "fluffier look"('07 twists) is to do thicker or bigger braids/twists. Also, and again this is just what has and has not worked for me, but products that are heavily water based, as in it is the first ingredient on the lable, tend to make my twist/braid outs look frizzier and less clumpy. Raw or whipped 100% shea butter has worked well for me; any butter will probably work as long as it's more butter than water.

Also, I know a lot of people feel like neatness doesn't matter. And to some extent, it doesn't. But your hair is going to fall the way that you braid or twist it. So if you have a particular style in mind, braid/twist understanding how your hair needs to fall to achieve that look. HTH

cmw45

my experience is the same.

I've also had luck usinf (all natural) Bee Mine Curly Butter or (over the counter lottabody setting lotion.

I am so jealous of your cornrowing abilities. Your hair always looks so neat and put together.

cmw45

You ladies have been so sweet to give me tips. I've been swamped and haven't really had the time to chat/post too much in this thread. I'm back today and hopefully you all can come back in and chat with me.

What I'd like:
I'd like to LEAVE HEAT ALONE for the next couple of months, but wearing twist outs and bantu knots, with the option of pressing my hair out every blue moon - if I choose. I think this is a good idea and your hair will thrive, as long as you make sure to keep your ends moisturized. This style is great because it's low manipulation (once you've done the actual twisting), no heat, it keeps your hair up off of your clothes. However, your ends are CONSTANTLY exposed. If you don't take extra care to remember to moisturize your hair, your ends will suffer.

I'm thinking:
I'd prefer to do my own twist outs/bantu knots, etc, but I don't know how to do them well enough to really rock it, ya know! I can definitely learn. I don't want to be dependent on stylist, but I don't mind going to one that will work with me. I think you just have to decide that you are going to work it out. Like, go into it with the mindset that now matter what it ends up like you will figure out a way to rock it and make it look cute. Sometimes this means turning it into an updo or adding accessories. A headband and the ends tucked up are a great way to turn a not so great or old braid out into a really cute updo.

So:
Figured I'd try someone who does twists and start off that way. I ONLY WANT MY OWN HAIR TWISTED. She says that because I've used heat on my hair before that MY OWN HAIR won't twist well. It will unravel overnight and I won't like it. She suggests I use fake hair and I don't want that. IS THIS TRUE? This happen to anyone? I understand that I'd need to redo my bantu's every night. That's fine. Do you have heat damage? If your hair has been heat damaged it may be difficult to get your hair to maintain the look of the twist and braids without a lot of product. If your hair has not been heat damaged then there is no reason you couldn't pull this look off. Put curlers on the end of your hair or bobby pin them down if your are afraid of them falling out overnight. Also, REMEMBER, more than likely your stylist is thinking about her bottom line. If you successfully master twist outs on your own hair and become comfortable with them, then that is one less service you need her for. :look:

Products:
I've only bantu'd with mango butter or a lil' castor oil. Is this where I'm going wrong? Sounds like you ladies primarily use shea butter. True? Are all shea butters created equal? Where do you buy your shea? What brand? I'm on a quest to pick up shea butter and vigorol curling creme this wknd.
Again, this is just me, but oils don't produce great twist outs. Shea butter is my product of choice. No, not all shea butters are created equal. I would use raw or whipped raw if possible. Many of the "shea butters" produced buy companies like Carols daughters have water and other ingredients added. This doesn't produce great hold and increases drying time because you are just adding more water to your already damp hair.

Can I:
Twist/bantu on dry hair? Will my hair turn out frizz free if I apply shea butter (or vigorol curling cream - I wanna try this too) to dry hair? You could. I haven't tried it on dry hair. I think one of the keys to getting smoother or less frizzy results is having hair that is throughly detangled. I can't detangle my dry hair. I also think that having your natural texture present (as in your hair is not flat ironed) is key because it helps the twist or braids hold better. It's the reason twist on type 1 hair look different than twist done on 2, 3, or 4. I think the more texture the better.

HTH! And make sure to post results!

melodies815

LOL Melodie! I found that style by accident also. for some reason my curls pop so much more right after a twist out with some help from a conditioner and a little oil.......Instead of it drying into a frizz ball it looks like i was BORN with a full head of 3C hair!

I think I will do a braidout tonight now that I've recalled this accidental style! :grin:

cj

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14

Subbing for future use.:spinning:

CocoBunny

Frizz free here I come!