Naturals: How often do you flat iron?

sunflower

I have been natural for about seven years. I started flat ironing every other week a couple of months ago. I love to have straight hair one week and a wash and go the next week but I think I like my flat iron hair a little better. I have to wash my scalp at least once a week so holding on to my flat iron hair for two weeks is not an option for me.

momi

I have been natural for about seven years. I started flat ironing every other week a couple of months ago. I love to have straight hair one week and a wash and go the next week but I think I like my flat iron hair a little better. I have to wash my scalp at least once a week so holding on to my flat iron hair for two weeks is not an option for me.

I flat iron about once a month. The other weeks I rollerset and saran wrap it. I prefer BIG hair and the set gives more body. Also, it might be my imagination, but my hair seems to be thickening up with this method.

Nonie

Once in a blue moon. Most recent press was this month. The one before this one was around the end of 2006 or start of 2007. My plan is to wear braids for a year, so maybe I'll press my hair again next year.

Christelyn

I do. I'm conducting an experiment to see if there are any damaging effects from doing so; but so far, so good. I just make sure I condition well and use a good heat protectant.

cutenss

I flat iron for length checks about once a month. I am going to get a BKT, then do rollersets. I actually like straight hair too, hence the BKT, but be able to stay natural.

anniev2

I do. I'm conducting an experiment to see if there are any damaging effects from doing so; but so far, so good. I just make sure I condition well and use a good heat protectant.

I apply heat protectant (CSI) to each piece as I flat iron. I prob average about every 2 weeks. I don't do it weekly b/c I just haven't developed a routine where I can do it weekly.

I'm inspired by all the posts and all the old school people who only get press and curls and never got relaxers who grew beautiful healthy hair this way.

Supervixen

I flat iron about once a month. The other weeks I rollerset and saran wrap it. I prefer BIG hair and the set gives more body. Also, it might be my imagination, but my hair seems to be thickening up with this method.

:yep: YUP, me too.

sunflower

Thanks ladies, I'm a little afraid of the heat. I think I'm going to go back to flat ironing once a month. Thanks again.

KEWLKAT103

Once every few months.
Last year I think I did twice.
This year I've done it twice already, probably be 4 times this year.

Faith

I was flatironing 1x/week and for heat protection I use SMB and some form of protein beforehand. My hair didn't seem to have an issue with it. I'm in a no heat challenge in order to meet my MBL by Dec challenge :)lol:) though so I stopped.

hothair

Weekly in the last 6-8 weeks, my hair loves it! I DC under a hood dryer, apply ateyaaa's regimen, airdry and flatiron and bump ends on medium heat. I intend to alternate every other week with rollersets when I get to somewhere I can get someone to rollerset for me (I suck)

Last edited: