Breakage during my flat iron, why?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Hi Ladies,
I've gotten my protein/moisture balance under control. I co wash once a week, wash once a week and dc once a week - all with very minimal breakage during detangling. I wear ps or low man styles. I flat iron once a month or less now but during the flat ironing I experience a lot of breakage why is that? Could it be the fine tooth comb? The temperature of the flat iron (sedu @ 360 or so)? I'm about 15 weeks post - so the demarcation line? What am I doing wrong? Please steer me in the right direction. Because once I reach my goal I plan on flat ironing more often.

Your Cheeziness

Blowdrying and flat ironing are high manipulation styles so be extra careful when choosing your tools. I had to skip the fine tooth comb (when I was relaxed) and use a paddle brush. Also, a serum or slippery heat protectant helps to minimize that. I used Fantasia Straightening Spray in the pink bottle.

If you're relaxed, you can probably get away with turning the temp down on the flat iron. The key to getting a good flat ironing starts with deep conditioning and a good blow dry. Try to think of the flat iron as a smoothing tool. HTH!

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i would skip the fine tooth comb. when i straightened, i tried it on one small section and already knew it would be a problem. you can use a denman and do the chase method. it works just as well, without the breakage. ♥

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
i would skip the fine tooth comb. when i straightened, i tried it on one small section and already knew it would be a problem. you can use a denman and do the chase method. it works just as well, without the breakage. ♥
Looks like I'll have to research the chase method...would you have any youtube videos to recommend? I remember seeing one but the person also use a fine tooth comb so I'm not sure what the difference is.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Blowdrying and flat ironing are high manipulation styles so be extra careful when choosing your tools. I had to skip the fine tooth comb (when I was relaxed) and use a paddle brush. Also, a serum or slippery heat protectant helps to minimize that. I used Fantasia Straightening Spray in the pink bottle.

If you're relaxed, you can probably get away with turning the temp down on the flat iron. The key to getting a good flat ironing starts with deep conditioning and a good blow dry. Try to think of the flat iron as a smoothing tool. HTH!
I'll try the paddle brush next time - i never occured to me to use anything but a fine tooth comb....learn something new every day!!!

Americka

I use the Elucence heat protectant...is there something in the ingredients I should be either looking for or avoiding?
No, your heat protectant sounds fine. I'm not sure of the cause b/c (1) you have ruled out protein/moisture (2) you are using a heat protectant (3) you have stated it is breakage. Have you "analyzed" the broken hairs to see where the breakage occurred? Is there a chance that your hair is breaking at a "weak point"? My pre-LHCF hair/ends are weaker than their healthier counterparts. Sorry I couldn't be more definitive. Oh, and I agree with Your Cheeziness to dial down the heat.