Naturals: how often do you pick/comb your hair out?

lesedi

All is well with me
How often are you picking out your hair. I'm too scared to comb my hair. I have n't combed it since i bc'd nearly 2 months ago. It's not tangled or knotty but I want to see my true length since i always wear it shrunken, i'm just scared of the potential damage.
How often do you ladies comb all your hair out?

bride91501

Never! :look: Actually, I only comb my hair once a month when I detangle, and even then it's soaked in conditioner. I'm terrified of unintentional breakage!

Don't judge me... :look:

ETA: Maybe you can stretch your hair via twists or braids to show more of your length?

Last edited:

Aviah

I'm working on getting it down. It used to be 2x a day, now its every other day or so, aiming for once a week when its not straight. Not sure if I can do it, I just like to know its combed out sometimes!

NicWhite

My hair is 3 inches long right now, so I have to comb it every day, or I look crazy. I always make sure I water rinse my hair and place a mixture of oils in it before I comb it, with a wide tooth comb.

danigurl18

I comb my hair once a week dripping wet with conditioner.. I have never picked my hair out because I think it would be too damaging for me

SherylsTresses

I agree with you OP. I never comb or pick my hair. I only finger-comb, -style, and -detangle. And it stays that way until my next cowash or shampoo.

natura87

No, I dont pick or comb out. The most I will do is fluff.

I finger detangle (most of the time) when wet or I use my TT. Thats the only time I use my TT.

Last edited:

iri9109

i've picked/brushed/combed my dry hair out for a fro and it was too much manipulation to seperate all those curls...i detangle thoroughly once a week on dry-damp hair before i wash, and then maybe lightly in the middle of the week with my fingers in small sections if i do twists for a twistout.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I don't pick out my hair, however, I do comb it and or detangle daily. I use a wide tooth comb, my tangle teezer or my fingers. This has truly cut down on SSKs. No damage or breakage either.

Calia001

i pick it out twice a day. my hair is pretty short and i havent found a moisture rich everyday leave in im happy with yet..

Nonie

If I'm not keeping my hair in braids or twists 24/7, I will pick it out ever morning. Maybe not my entire head--coz I do wear cornrows in front oftentimes when I wear my puff, but I may do this for two weeks before I tire of daily grooming and go back to my 24/7 lazy styles. I braid my hair for the night then pick it out in the AM.

These are some of the styles I wore in 2007 after my BC:

Some of the puffs I wore between Sept and Oct 2008 after a year of being in braids:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Once or twice a week I comb my hair out and it's usually on wash day to detangle. I never pick my hair out.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
You mean as in wearing a picked out traditional afro? I love wearing a picked out fro, I just don't wear them too often because I'm lazy.

A good way to do it is to braid or twist your hair up first then pick it out once you release them. Make sure your hair is either coated in moisturizer or slightly, almost barely damp to help reduce friction. I would never ever ever ever pick my hair out from a shrunken style. You are asking for mechanical damage to your hair that way....

example of my picked out fro

As far as picking my hair out to detangle, I only use a comb once my hair is fully free of tangles and knots. I never force a comb through my hair.

Last edited:

Janet'

I detangle when I wash (which is every 7-14 days). I have never in all my years of being natural used a pic on my head...

KurlyNinja

I've never used a comb or brush or pic on my hair dry. That just bring back so many horrible childhood memories... :nono:

Chromia

I comb my hair 2-4 times a month, on wash days. On those days I also use either my Denman brush or Tangle Teezer to remove shed hair. I use a comb, brush, or TT only when my hair is wet/damp and saturated with conditioner.

brucebettye

I only comb my hair on wash days and I just use my fingers to style. One of the many benefits of being natural(for me).

mischka

shrinkage.
two sometimes three days a week on wash day. ive been experimenting lately with wash and go with no products, no detangling other than jilbere in the shower. it doesnt tangle, really, but the curls dont hold at the ends like they do when i use a denman (which is ironic because the the top never curls when i use a denman while the ends hold perfect coils) and it seems dry...

Forever in Bloom

I own a pick, but I haven't used it in about 3 years. I only comb my hair once a month because I keep my hair in protective styles (mini twists or crochet braids). After taking either style down, I finger detangle to remove shed hair. Then I use my Denman/rake comb to remove the remaining shed hairs while my hair is drenched in conditioner and water.

HappilyLiberal

You mean as in wearing a picked out traditional afro? I love wearing a picked out fro, I just don't wear them too often because I'm lazy.

A good way to do it is to braid or twist your hair up first then pick it out once you release them. Make sure your hair is either coated in moisturizer or slightly, almost barely damp to help reduce friction. I would never ever ever ever pick my hair out from a shrunken style. You are asking for mechanical damage to your hair that way....

example of my picked out fro

As far as picking my hair out to detangle, I only use a comb once my hair is fully free of tangles and knots. I never force a comb through my hair.

ms-gg...

I drool every time I see that pic of your twists. I even have the woman I share an office with drooling at your twists.